Model Cars Magazine Forum

Wild 2021 Dodge Viper

I think the design language in that proposal is pretty sound...it looks a lore more Viper-y than Vipers have looked in a long time.

I am a fan of the Gen 1 Vipers, so this look appeals to me.

While I'm a little bummed that the V-10 might go away (it was, after all, based on the LA V-8), how undeniably BOSS would it be if they could work up the new one with a V-10 based on the newer Hemi V-8???    

2 minutes ago, DiscoRover007 said:

...They still haven't surpassed the design of the original GTS though. That car is perfectly timeless.

Agreed. The prototype was the best one by far.

BUT:

1) Bring back the side pipes

2) Clean up the unnecessarily busy nose and stretch the wheelbase a tick

3) Make a more pronounced double-bubble roof. 

21 hours ago, DiscoRover007 said:

Would like some more photos but it looks good.

They still haven't surpassed the design of the original GTS though. That car is perfectly timeless.

I absolutely Love the GTS coupe....... There are still low mileage examples out there, too. I've seen them with less than 5K miles on them.

Now to just win the Lottery!  :D

LOVE THIS and I'd love to see it come back!

The original GTS coupes are one of my favorite cars of the '90's! As much as I love them though, I literally CANNOT sit in them! Once in, my head is scrunched right against the roof despite the double-bubble design. :(

1 hour ago, NYLIBUD said:

I'm confused,I thought they were going to stop making the Viper.

They have.......this is apparently the reintro'd one for '21. Perhaps without the V10 it'll be more reasonable price wise? Last I knew, that car was well over 100k for the last ones that rolled off the line.

I actually didn't care for the last gen Viper looks wise. While it was not a bad looking car at all, I liked the previous one much better as it was to me a simpler, cleaner design.

1 hour ago, NYLIBUD said:

I'm confused,I thought they were going to stop making the Viper.

Dodge did.

Although I am pretty sure they sold off the rights and the tooling . So I dont know WHO is making the next generation

5 minutes ago, gtx6970 said:

Dodge did.

Although I am pretty sure they sold off the rights and the tooling . So I dont know WHO is making the next generation

Good thought! The way FCA is handling things with Chrysler, sadly they may cease to exist by '21. :(

There was to be a new Challenger and Charger come '19 or '20, but I've heard not a word about those car's replacements in probably two years now. I've seen the '19 Challengers, pretty much warmed over '18's with some detail differences. As much as I like the Challenger (heck I OWN one!), the design's getting a bit long in the tooth considering what's been done to the Mustang and Camaro recently.

There was talk about bringing back the 'Cuda name on a smaller platform to perhaps replace the Challenger. I don't know HOW they'd pull that off since Plymouth bit the dust back in '01.

Dodge 'Cuda?? Naaaah!

11 hours ago, Psychographic said:

I keep hearing that, but I don't see any signs of life at Chrysler besides a relatively fresh mini van and the 300 series, which is already a decade and a half old under the skin, and uses some recycled Benz components that are even older. Same story with the Charger and Challenger at Dodge, but they still have the once-hot Grand Caravan, Durango, and the most forgettable crossover ever, the Journey. I'm still leaning toward the old legend of the Jeep curse. 

8 hours ago, tbill said:

Why they didn’t do a 2 door version of the charger is beyond me, the latest body style of that would be killer with 2 less doors....

There were very loud screams of protest when the Charger debuted back in '06 as a four door sedan from us car enthusiasts. The criticism was so bad that Car and Driver said that in all the years of being a magazine publisher, they have never received so much hate mail over one car! Many were hoping (including myself) that the car would look like the absolutely beautiful 1999 Charger show car. But that show car came out right around the time Chrysler was about to be sold to Daimler, and of course as we now know they had other plans.

Interesting though how the 2011 restyle of the Charger does resemble that '99 show car much better! Almost as if that's what they had in mind, but changed up at the 11th hour due to Daimler.

This car still gets my heart racing to this day even nearly 20 years later!

Dodge_Charger_R-T_Concept_2006.jpg.671e7696832e33955d19bc4393719db6.jpg
99_dodge-chargerconcept_manu_02.jpg.752efff1326e744f016b4dda65d2ed21.jpg

Actually we DID get a two door "Charger"...................................the Challenger! ;)

3 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

There were very loud screams of protest when the Charger debuted back in '06 as a four door sedan from us car enthusiasts. The criticism was so bad that Car and Driver said that in all the years of being a magazine publisher, they have never received so much hate mail over one car! Many were hoping (including myself) that the car would look like the absolutely beautiful 1999 Charger show car. But that show car came out right around the time Chrysler was about to be sold to Daimler, and of course as we now know they had other plans.

Interesting though how the 2011 restyle of the Charger does resemble that '99 show car much better! Almost as if that's what they had in mind, but changed up at the 11th hour due to Daimler.

This car still gets my heart racing to this day even nearly 20 years later!

Dodge_Charger_R-T_Concept_2006.jpg.671e7696832e33955d19bc4393719db6.jpg
99_dodge-chargerconcept_manu_02.jpg.752efff1326e744f016b4dda65d2ed21.jpg

Actually we DID get a two door "Charger"...................................the Challenger! ;)

Now THAT is a Charger. Not what we ended up with.