Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum
John Jacobs

66 Malibu SS (Revell Monogram)

Recommended Posts

This is a '66 Malibu SS (Revell Monogram).  The body paint is Testors Metallic Black enamel.  The interior is Testors Yellow enamel.  I used a Molotow Chrome pen on the windows.  On the rear chrome I painted with Model Master flat black acrylic, and then used a toothpick to scrape off the raised letters.  The lettering on the tires was originally flat white enamel, but I found after 2 weeks that it never dries.  I rubbed it off with thinner and repainted with white acrylic.  I used flat black acrylic in the radiator and on the engine heads.

I put a coating of Future on, but didn't think it was glossy enough, so I kept layering on coatings until it became a big mess.  Then I sprayed it down with Windex and ran it under the sink faucet and all the Future rubbed off easily.  But not before I accidentally scraped up some of the paint.  Two coatings of Future with a Q-tip eliminated almost all the scratches.

This model has a poor design for fitting parts together.  The side frames for the engine actually interfere with the exhaust pipes.  I had a really tough time with that.  Also, I had a tough time getting the front to stay on and had to end up using superglue, which unfortunately shows up on the seams. 

 

The workbench thread is here.  

 

 

IMG_4341.thumb.jpg.145aa8538581bd14bf8a60710eb13510.jpg

IMG_4342.jpg

IMG_4343.jpg

IMG_4344.jpg

IMG_4345.jpg

IMG_4346.jpg

IMG_4347.jpg

IMG_4350.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It turned out pretty darn nice John, I know this thing is a pig to build but it can be made nice with a little patience.....um, uh, a lot of patience lol.;)B) I converted this very model into a stock '66 to fit in my 1/24 die cast collection using a Monogram '64 GTO chassis. My plan is to us the chassis from this one and build a '64 GTO street machine.:)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/29/2018 at 8:36 PM, OldTrucker said:

Nice clean build of a difficult kit!

Indeed! You did a great job of making that flip front end fit. Well done and model on! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the comments.  One of the things I forgot to mention was the decals.  This comment is actually a continuation from my last model.  I was given a bunch of model kits from a guy who had been storing these kits in a hot and humid garage for maybe 20 years.  On the last model I did, I tried to do the decals, but the larger ones basically disintegrated in the water.  I found a product called "Liquid Decal Film" made by Microscale.  Supposedly, you can paint this stuff over old decals, and it will hold them together when you put them in water.  So, when it came to this kit, there were some cool flame decals and license plates.  As a test, I painted the film over one of the license plates and attempted to place it on the model. The film did a good job of holding the decal together, but when it started to dry, it just curled up.  There was no glue holding it down.  So, I assumed the flame decals would act the same way, and decided against putting them on this model.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...