Model Cars Magazine Forum

My complete collection of Model A Five Window Coupe Hot Rods

tim boyd

As many of  you know, Model A Five Window Coupes are about as hot as it gets for a traditional hot rod project these days. That also makes them popular subjects for model car projects.  While the newish Revell kit still remains in model car production suspension, coupe bodies have been available in resin and several of these models contain 5W Coupe bodies using that medium.  

Each of these models has been constructed within the last five years; five of the models here were the subjects of how-to articles.   One (the #44 Washington Blue, Caddy V8 powered version) was covered in a recent Model Cars Magazine how-to, others appeared in how-tos in the other model magazine, and the pale green/white scallops car was the subject of a four-part "Hot Rod Hints" how-to presented elsewhere in my Fotki album.

At the following link, each model is presented in multiple photographs, including engine and interior close-ups, and underbody chassis shots. Several of these models were based on the now-hard-to-find Revell Model A Coupe kit, but several others featured resin-cast bodies instead of the kit parts.

Here's a teaser look at each of the models featured at the link above.  

DSC 0750

DSC 0753

DSC 0780

DSC 0776

DSC 0790

DSC 0767

DSC 0730

Thanks for looking! TIM

PS - yes, I need to dust off a couple of these before photographing.....TB  

Thanks Tim. Fantastic group of Model A builds in so many different styles. I hope those who do not have Model A Coupe kits in their stash will have the opportunity to buy new kits in the near future and if not have after market options to fill their desires.

Awesome stuff. I like the early silver and "44" builds, and the orange one the most, also the scalloped coupe with wooden roof bows. Love the 4-banger too; those shotgun side pipes are neat and the Edmunds air cleaners are beautiful pieces, really set the car off. The transplanted stock-style (Monogram?) firewalls are so much better than the kit-provided items! Thanks for the link, it was about time for me to go back and get inspired by some Boyd projects again :D  Is Norm Veber offering his '30 coupe in resin again, now that the Revell kit is in limbo? I'd heard that it was discontinued. 

DSC_0780-vi.jpg

This has been my all time favourite model ever since you did the biuldup in scale auto mag and without this model in that magazine I probably wouldn’t be building models today as this was the one that inspired me to start customizing and modifying models. 

Edited by 426 pack

9 hours ago, 426 pack said:

This has been my all time favourite model ever since you did the biuldup in scale auto mag and without this model in that magazine I probably wouldn’t be building models today as this was the one that inspired me to start customizing and modifying models. 

Cale.....hearing feedback like that is music to my ears and a big source of motivation to keep on doing articles like this.....thanks for the feedback!    

On ‎5‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 11:51 AM, Spex84 said:

. The transplanted stock-style (Monogram?) firewalls are so much better than the kit-provided items!   Is Norm Veber offering his '30 coupe in resin again, now that the Revell kit is in limbo? I'd heard that it was discontinued. 

Chris...as of a month or so ago when I last talked with him, Norm had stopped producing his '30 A Chopped Coupe.  As you probably know, his body was different from the Revell body in a number of ways, enough so to justify building models using both bodies, in my opinion.   At this point, I suspect it will be a long time, if ever, we see the Revell Coupe kit back on the market, so I sure would like to see Norm put this one back in his lineup....TIM    

PS - the corrected Firewalls are either the Replicas and Miniatures of Maryland parts, or ones I scratchbuilt from the Revell '30A Tudor kit, as the Monogram firewalls didn't look adaptable to this body.  I showed how to do the Revell approach in my article in the April 2017 (I think) article in the other model magazine.....TB 

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 4:24 PM, misterNNL said:

Righteous grouping of Ford coupes brother. All built with typical Boyd attention to real word details and period correct paint. Thanks for sharing !

There are four people in the world who are probably most responsible for my branching out from Funny Car models (some can be seen in old issues of Car Model Magazine) to Hot Rod models(or street rods as they were called back then). 

They are my younger brother Robert, famed auto journalist Pat Ganahl (who ran an article on  kitbashing a '29 on '32 rails rod in a mid 1970's issue of Street Rodder magazine), the late Bill Burham (who built a 1/1 scale bright yellow '29 on '32 rails that showed up in a couple of mid-1971 Hot Rod annuals and prompted my first real street rod model project), and most important of all, the above poster, ""misterNNL", aka Tom Woodruff.  

Back in the late 1960's and early 1970's, Tom was building street rod models when no one else was, and his superb building style made him a continuous winner in the old MPC Model Customizing Contest that ran from 1969 to 1979.   I first met Tom at the 1971 Dayton, Ohio, MPC contest, and from that point forward to today, he has been an endless source of model car l inspiration and personal friendship to me - thanks Tom!     

TIM 

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 10:12 PM, Phildaupho said:

I hope those who do not have Model A Coupe kits in their stash will have the opportunity to buy new kits in the near future and if not have after market options to fill their desires.

Phil....I think nearly all of us share your thoughts here; thanks.   TIM 

All - thanks for your comments; I find it really interesting to hear which ones are your favorites and why. 

Particularly the feedback on the copper one, that is the one that is most kit-based of any on this page (the other one being the Green/Black blown SBC one).  These were both built straight from the box, with no mods whatsoever, from the Revell kit.  And I think, a good sign that the kit, in spite of such minor "flaws" as the firewall and a few controversial  decisions in terms of content (the roof opening which has been seen on 1/1 Hot Rods but is not the typical design, and the Ford diff/coil springs out back, which is still a popular 1/1 scale build choice but not within the strict confines of a pure traditional hot rod genre), was a really good effort on Revell's part. 

And a sign that kit the strongly deserves to return to the market under the new German Revell ownership scheme. 

TIM   

Edited by tim boyd

They are all examples of great building skill. 

Hot Rods being not exactly my cup of tea, I like the first one, with the banger motor, and the last one, with the Ford V8 better. 

P.S. What about posting all the '48 Fords you built Tim? I for sure dig that yellow Station Wagon... 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for putting this together, Tim! I like all of them but especially the blue one with black wire wheels. That car  is Race Of Gentleman perfect down to every detail. I especially live the header pipes, Edmund's air "filters" and the inclusion of the stock side aprons for that "I just stripped it down to race" look. 

Second favorite is the other blue one with the Caddy engine and straw colored wire wheels. The '34 truck grill looks so right on it. Not an easy thing to pull off! I'd love one just like it in full scale out in the garage.

B)

On 6/12/2018 at 12:17 AM, Dennis Lacy said:

Thanks for putting this together, Tim! I like all of them but especially the blue one with black wire wheels. That car  is Race Of Gentleman perfect down to every detail. I especially live the header pipes, Edmund's air "filters" and the inclusion of the stock side aprons for that "I just stripped it down to race" look. 

Second favorite is the other blue one with the Caddy engine and straw colored wire wheels. The '34 truck grill looks so right on it. Not an easy thing to pull off! I'd love one just like it in full scale out in the garage.

B)

Thanks Dennis....yesterday Rodder's Journal newsletter posted a link to their photo album of the 2018 TROG and there was a '30A Coupe there that looked just like mine (different colors, but otherwise a near match).  It's just such a fresh departure from my usual rod building tastes/themes.  Anyone who loves to build trad hot rod models should try a TROG-themed project...   

All above....thanks again for your comments and feedback.   

Tulio.....I'm working on couple of additional albums, and yes, one will be of all my '48 Fords including the Woody.  I'll post here when done...

Best regards everyone......TIM