[[Template core/front/global/utilitiesMenu does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
Dann Tier

Re-engineering Monograms Lotus Esprit...hand painted Knarlwood

Recommended Posts

Hey everyone!, how many of us have struggled through building this rather annoying kit?  If you like this car, you don't really have a choice. Here I will show you how i'm dealing with it to make it a better kit, AND give this awesome car the performance it deserves. It has some of the best handling, and braking, but its not what it could be in the speed department, so I decided to put a 200+ mph Ferrari V8 in it. Here you can see all the things I hacked apart, and re-assembled in better ways.....it will have a one-piece body like the better Japanese kits when i'm through with it, and a better ride height. One of the very first things I did, was to separate the top of the dash from the body...…..that annoys the heck out of me when they do that! I also stole the tyres out of one of my Tamiya Ferrari F-40 kits...they do this car/kit justice!!!  -Thanks for looking in!!

DSCF5873.JPG

DSCF5874.JPG

DSCF5875.JPG

DSCF5876.JPG

DSCF5877.JPG

DSCF5868.JPG

DSCF5867.JPG

DSCF5869.JPG

DSCF5878.JPG

DSCF5880.JPG

DSCF5881.JPG

DSCF5882.JPG

DSCF5864.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

Oooooo, drool...

This is gonna be fantastic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very cool!! You inspired me to become a better builder. How's the Pagani? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I'll be following Dann.  Been wanting one of these kits for awhile but haven't pulled the trigger.

Edited by afx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very interesting, Dann! Could you give a bit of commentary on how you fixed the ride height? I hear that's a bit of a bear...

Thanks!

best,

M.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll be watching this one. First because it's Lotus, but I also have a clean built-up of this kit that I bought last year. I've never built one myself, but examining the built-up, it seems a really well done kit. Certainly much better detail than I expected. I will be re-building it someday, though I am currently building the Fujimi S1 Esprit, and couldn't help slipping the built Esprit 300 chassis and turbo 4 cyl into the (in my opinion) much cleaner and pleasing S1 body. In that moment, the seeds of a kitbash may have been sewn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking good. This is the 360 Modena V8?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, aurfalien said:

Hi,

Oooooo, drool...

This is gonna be fantastic.

Thanks, Brian!!!.....your stuff is FINALLY being sent out tomorrow!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Charlie0882004 said:

Very cool!! You inspired me to become a better builder. How's the Pagani? 

Thanks, Chad!!, i'm glad its helping you!!...that's why I post. About the Pagani; I just took a little break on it, I will be starting up on it again on Sunday...its going great though!!  -thanks for asking!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Dann Tier said:

Thanks, Brian!!!.....your stuff is FINALLY being sent out tomorrow!!!

Hello sir,

No worries, and man this build is gonna be goooooood!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, afx said:

I'll be following Dann.  Been wanting one of these kits for awhile but haven't pulled the trigger.

Thanks, JC!!!, much like the real car, you REALLY have to love it to deal with all its issues!!...lol

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Matt Bacon said:

Very interesting, Dann! Could you give a bit of commentary on how you fixed the ride height? I hear that's a bit of a bear...

Thanks!

best,

M.

Thanks, Matt!!, when I get to that part, I will definitely show how I lower it!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Neat...you know, the last Esprits were available with a twin turbo V8...from 1996 onward.  Those were never kitted that I know of.

Edited by Rob Hall

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The real thing is a very compact quad cam 3.5L 90 degree V8 that's unique to Lotus, as far as I can see...

lotusV8big.gif

I' ve been wracking my brains and eyeing the stash to see if I have anything vaguely similar but to no avail so far. I actually wonder if a V6 with some reworking of the manifold might be the way to go, it's so small, but the choices of 90 degree V6s are pretty limited!

best,

M.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bainford said:

I'll be watching this one. First because it's Lotus, but I also have a clean built-up of this kit that I bought last year. I've never built one myself, but examining the built-up, it seems a really well done kit. Certainly much better detail than I expected. I will be re-building it someday, though I am currently building the Fujimi S1 Esprit, and couldn't help slipping the built Esprit 300 chassis and turbo 4 cyl into the (in my opinion) much cleaner and pleasing S1 body. In that moment, the seeds of a kitbash may have been sewn.

Thanks, Trevor!!,  I have that kit as well, but the newer ones are my favorite.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rob Hall said:

Neat...you know, the last Esprits were available with a twin turbo V8...from 1996 onward.  Those were never kitted that I know of.

Thanks, Robert!!….no they weren't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Matt Bacon said:

The real thing is a very compact quad cam 3.5L 90 degree V8 that's unique to Lotus, as far as I can see...

lotusV8big.gif

I' ve been wracking my brains and eyeing the stash to see if I have anything vaguely similar but to no avail so far. I actually wonder if a V6 with some reworking of the manifold might be the way to go, it's so small, but the choices of 90 degree V6s are pretty limited!

best,

M.

 

Yup, Matt....that's the one!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DiscoRover007 said:

Looking good. This is the 360 Modena V8?

Thanks, James!!...yes it is!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have had that kit in the stash semi started for over 20 years.  I really like that car.  Will follow this one. Maybe it is time to get mine out.

I want those wheels! You mention tires are from a Tamiya F40.  Are the wheels as well? That is exactly the wheel/tire combo I need for my Guldstrand.

Thanks,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So is this one based on the Esprit Sport 300? I'm scared to start mine because of the horror stories I hear about this kit!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ismaelg said:

I have had that kit in the stash semi started for over 20 years.  I really like that car.  Will follow this one. Maybe it is time to get mine out.

I want those wheels! You mention tires are from a Tamiya F40.  Are the wheels as well? That is exactly the wheel/tire combo I need for my Guldstrand.

Thanks,

Thanks!!, the wheels come with the Sport 300 kits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, iamsuperdan said:

So is this one based on the Esprit Sport 300? I'm scared to start mine because of the horror stories I hear about this kit!

 

Well Dan, i'm here to help you get through it!, I've built it like this before, and it works Great!!!....I've already worked the bugs out, and made it ALOT easier.....go get it built, bud!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

lolz

The Esprit has always been one of my fav cars, even though it really is flawed in so many ways. This one WILL get built. Eventually. :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Your engine upgrade looks factory. Maybe that's the way it should have been done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Related image

 

I think this is in several NSX kits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now