Model Cars Magazine Forum

Re-engineering Monograms Lotus Esprit...new update!

Dann Tier

Hey everyone!, how many of us have struggled through building this rather annoying kit?  If you like this car, you don't really have a choice. Here I will show you how i'm dealing with it to make it a better kit, AND give this awesome car the performance it deserves. It has some of the best handling, and braking, but its not what it could be in the speed department, so I decided to put a 200+ mph Ferrari V8 in it. Here you can see all the things I hacked apart, and re-assembled in better ways.....it will have a one-piece body like the better Japanese kits when i'm through with it, and a better ride height. One of the very first things I did, was to separate the top of the dash from the body...…..that annoys the heck out of me when they do that! I also stole the tyres out of one of my Tamiya Ferrari F-40 kits...they do this car/kit justice!!!  -Thanks for looking in!!

DSCF5873.JPG

DSCF5874.JPG

DSCF5875.JPG

DSCF5876.JPG

DSCF5877.JPG

DSCF5868.JPG

DSCF5867.JPG

DSCF5869.JPG

DSCF5878.JPG

DSCF5880.JPG

DSCF5881.JPG

DSCF5882.JPG

DSCF5864.JPG

I'll be watching this one. First because it's Lotus, but I also have a clean built-up of this kit that I bought last year. I've never built one myself, but examining the built-up, it seems a really well done kit. Certainly much better detail than I expected. I will be re-building it someday, though I am currently building the Fujimi S1 Esprit, and couldn't help slipping the built Esprit 300 chassis and turbo 4 cyl into the (in my opinion) much cleaner and pleasing S1 body. In that moment, the seeds of a kitbash may have been sewn.

2 hours ago, Charlie0882004 said:

Very cool!! You inspired me to become a better builder. How's the Pagani? 

Thanks, Chad!!, i'm glad its helping you!!...that's why I post. About the Pagani; I just took a little break on it, I will be starting up on it again on Sunday...its going great though!!  -thanks for asking!!

2 hours ago, afx said:

I'll be following Dann.  Been wanting one of these kits for awhile but haven't pulled the trigger.

Thanks, JC!!!, much like the real car, you REALLY have to love it to deal with all its issues!!...lol

1 hour ago, Matt Bacon said:

Very interesting, Dann! Could you give a bit of commentary on how you fixed the ride height? I hear that's a bit of a bear...

Thanks!

best,

M.

Thanks, Matt!!, when I get to that part, I will definitely show how I lower it!!

The real thing is a very compact quad cam 3.5L 90 degree V8 that's unique to Lotus, as far as I can see...

lotusV8big.gif

I' ve been wracking my brains and eyeing the stash to see if I have anything vaguely similar but to no avail so far. I actually wonder if a V6 with some reworking of the manifold might be the way to go, it's so small, but the choices of 90 degree V6s are pretty limited!

best,

M.

1 hour ago, Bainford said:

I'll be watching this one. First because it's Lotus, but I also have a clean built-up of this kit that I bought last year. I've never built one myself, but examining the built-up, it seems a really well done kit. Certainly much better detail than I expected. I will be re-building it someday, though I am currently building the Fujimi S1 Esprit, and couldn't help slipping the built Esprit 300 chassis and turbo 4 cyl into the (in my opinion) much cleaner and pleasing S1 body. In that moment, the seeds of a kitbash may have been sewn.

Thanks, Trevor!!,  I have that kit as well, but the newer ones are my favorite.

1 hour ago, Matt Bacon said:

The real thing is a very compact quad cam 3.5L 90 degree V8 that's unique to Lotus, as far as I can see...

lotusV8big.gif

I' ve been wracking my brains and eyeing the stash to see if I have anything vaguely similar but to no avail so far. I actually wonder if a V6 with some reworking of the manifold might be the way to go, it's so small, but the choices of 90 degree V6s are pretty limited!

best,

M.

Yup, Matt....that's the one!

I have had that kit in the stash semi started for over 20 years.  I really like that car.  Will follow this one. Maybe it is time to get mine out.

I want those wheels! You mention tires are from a Tamiya F40.  Are the wheels as well? That is exactly the wheel/tire combo I need for my Guldstrand.

Thanks,

1 hour ago, ismaelg said:

I have had that kit in the stash semi started for over 20 years.  I really like that car.  Will follow this one. Maybe it is time to get mine out.

I want those wheels! You mention tires are from a Tamiya F40.  Are the wheels as well? That is exactly the wheel/tire combo I need for my Guldstrand.

Thanks,

Thanks!!, the wheels come with the Sport 300 kits.

44 minutes ago, iamsuperdan said:

So is this one based on the Esprit Sport 300? I'm scared to start mine because of the horror stories I hear about this kit!

Well Dan, i'm here to help you get through it!, I've built it like this before, and it works Great!!!....I've already worked the bugs out, and made it ALOT easier.....go get it built, bud!!!

• Dann Tier changed the title to Re-engineering Monograms Lotus Esprit...new update!