Model Cars Magazine Forum

Re-engineering Monograms Lotus Esprit...new update!

Dann Tier

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was finally able to get some more work done on this one! All of the work here needs to be kleaned up still.

-Photo 1; This shows two things; the strip of styrene that I added to fix the roof-interior gap, and that I drilled holes to start the job of opening up the seatbelt slots...upper, and lower.

-Photo 2; notice the roof-interior gap IS fixed.

-Photo 3; Here you can see that I decided to cut-out the boot to make room for the exhaust and intercoolers. Also note that I cut-out two triangular sections at the tops of the fender wells......these should have been attached to the body as the bottoms of the side vents.

-Photo 4; I found that the best way to grind-out that stupid molded-in E-brake, was to cut an access hole in the side of the tub. This will NOT be seen anyway.

-Photo 5; Here I scratchbuilt the ignition switch, center column stereo plate, and taking an idea from Pagani, scratchbuilt paddle shifters.

-Photo 7; I decided to start drilling out the shallow, weakly detailed gauges.

-Photo 8; I didn't need the clutch peddle anymore, so I cut it off. These have to be THE plainest, most boring peddles I've ever seen, but i'm gonna fix that! 

DSCF6058.JPG

DSCF6057.JPG

DSCF6059.JPG

DSCF6060.JPG

DSCF6061.JPG

DSCF6062.JPG

DSCF6063.JPG

DSCF6064.JPG

DSCF6065.JPG

DSCF6066.JPG

On June 30, 2018 at 4:40 PM, Dann Tier said:

Just got these great decals in for this Lotus build!!!

DSCF6027.JPG

I like getting those kind of decals from eBay..have a few for Ferraris and such, some with metal logos. REALLY adds to a build's realism for very little $

Ya, go paddle shifters. My BMW auto can out shift me any day of the year.

3 hours ago, Twokidsnosleep said:

I like getting those kind of decals from eBay..have a few for Ferraris and such, some with metal logos. REALLY adds to a build's realism for very little $

Ya, go paddle shifters. My BMW auto can out shift me any day of the year.

Yes they do, Scott!, I even have these 3D decals for Lamborghinis, Ferraris, and Porsches!  The set includes emblems, centercaps, and steering wheel buttons for 1/43 up to 1/8 I think...at least 1/12 for sure. I agree by the way, the Esprit deserves to have up to date technology!!

This interior is now soooo close to being painted!  Heres what I have going on:

-Photo 1; I finished cutting out the four seatbelt slots.

-Photo 2; I added PE racing peddles to the VERY plain kit  ones, and got rid of the clutch.

-Photo 3; After grinding off that stupid molded-in E-brake, I found a spare one that fits perfectly, but I had to scratchbuild the factory base to it.

-Photo 4 & 5; These show the gauges being drilled out, and PE stereo, speakers, and vents being added. Now its time to klean it all up, and final sand for painting.

DSCF6136.JPG

DSCF6142.JPG

DSCF6145.JPG

DSCF6141.JPG

DSCF6140.JPG

Okay, guys, i'm trying something new...thought about it a few years ago, but never tried it yet.....I've decided to try to replicate the carpet pipping. I didn't have any styrene rod that was small enough, so I decided to use solder, and it works great!  I didn't want to use super glue, since my chances of having detail-loss, and klean-up were too high for my liking. I decided to try Tamiyas Super-thin Quick-set glue, and it actually held it down good enough!...….even though its the wrong kind of glue!!   The trick here is to also NOT make things perfectly straight...they never are in this situation.

DSCF6171.JPG

DSCF6172.JPG

4.jpg

Edited by Dann Tier

Interesting project! I worked for a Lotus Dealership in the early nineties. The Esprits  were interesting cars to say the least. They handled like big go carts in my opinion. I bought a couple of the Monogram kits back in the day, and gave one to my boss as a gift, as I built it to his specifications. He was very appreciative to say the least. He gave me one of each new Chevrolet promo for two years when they came in. And  to this day, we are still friends.

I love the mods you are making to this kit.

4 hours ago, Ron Hamilton said:

Interesting project! I worked for a Lotus Dealership in the early nineties. The Esprits  were interesting cars to say the least. They handled like big go carts in my opinion. I bought a couple of the Monogram kits back in the day, and gave one to my boss as a gift, as I built it to his specifications. He was very appreciative to say the least. He gave me one of each new Chevrolet promo for two years when they came in. And  to this day, we are still friends.

I love the mods you are making to this kit.

Thanks, Ronald!...cool story!

The carpet piping looks great. I tried this same thing using .010" plastic strip on my current build (curiously, also a Lotus) and the effect was better than I expected. It's a very subtle detail,  but the minds-eye really picks up on it. I never thought of using a fine solder. The results look spot on.

1 hour ago, Bainford said:

The carpet piping looks great. I tried this same thing using .010" plastic strip on my current build (curiously, also a Lotus) and the effect was better than I expected. It's a very subtle detail,  but the minds-eye really picks up on it. I never thought of using a fine solder. The results look spot on.

Thanks, Trevor!, I try to use styrene as much as possible, but I didn't have the correct size, so that's when I thought of the solder.

• 1 month later...

Small update here; I've been scribing, and reshaping the headrests to look more like the real thing. I used black panel liner to show what I've done so far....I still need to cut-in some wrinkles at the curve, I will probably carefully heat-knife it. I'm pretty sure after this, this interior will be ready for paint as well.

DSCF6511.JPG

DSCF6512.JPG

Got some more done:

-Photo 1; In order to make the sail panel vents properly, I needed to cut out the corresponding "Triangular" shapes from the upper fender wells.

-Photo 3; here you can see the "Triangular" shapes for the vents glued into place, waiting to be blended-in to the rest of the body.

-Photo 4; after getting rid of the big ugly seam that ran straight through the side of the center column/ tranny tunnel, there was no more padding detail left. Here you can see I added new vertical padding lines...

-Photo 5; You can see here that using a hot-knife to add wrinkles to the sides really finished it off....it didn't even have them before I started to sand this piece.

-Photo 6; You can see the progression here of making the headrest look more realistic. Scribing it alone didn't do what I wanted, so I used the hot-knife again to go over everything, and to add a few realistic wrinkles at the top of the arch. A little more klean-up, and these will be ready for primer!

DSCF6513.JPG

DSCF6517.JPG

DSCF6515.JPG

DSCF6518.JPG

DSCF6522.JPG

DSCF6519.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Great work on this, Dann. Will gladly follow your build. :)

Following the comments on the 288 GTO kits earlier on... The Italeri kit was my very first car kit back in 1987. Before that I did only airplanes, mostly in 1/72 scale. Bach then it was the first edition in the "golden box" (this one:   https://www.scalemates.com/kits/159012-italeri-652-ferrari-gto) I had to get me one exactly like that on eBay last year. :rolleyes:

The kit itself is quite good. As Matt mentioned earlier on, the Fujimi kit is making quite a mess of certains sections of the car by simply (unnecessarily) having too many parts. The Italeri kit shows that a similar level of detailing can be achieved with less but well detailed parts more easily (and cheaper). Then again, it must be said that imho the rims and tyres are a no-go on this one. Apart from being much too shiny (which could be helped) the rims and tyres all have the same size and not a really good design. So unless you have a spare set of those special rims, there is a limit to what can be achieved with this kit. Fortunately, I built the Fujimi GTO in the early 90's but it has fallen apart by now, so I'll have those rims to go with the Italeri. Although I have to admit I got me the Fujimi kit aswell... It's been so rare for a couple of years so I bought one when the re-release came at a reasonable price.

Btw. Dann, what is so special about the #9 Fujimi kit? It's just the box, right?

And keep up the good work on the Lotus!

Edited by Tommy124

12 minutes ago, Tommy124 said:

Great work on this, Dann. Will gladly follow your build. :)

Following the comments on the 288 GTO kits earlier on... The Italeri kit was my very first car kit back in 1987. Before that I did only airplanes, mostly in 1/72 scale. Bach then it was the first edition in the "golden box" (this one:   https://www.scalemates.com/kits/159012-italeri-652-ferrari-gto) I had to get me one exactly like that on eBay last year. :rolleyes:

The kit itself is quite good. As Matt mentioned earlier on, the Fujimi kit is making quite a mess of certains sections of the car by simply (unnecessarily) having too many parts. The Italeri kit shows that a similar level of detailing can be achieved with less but well detailed parts more easily (and cheaper). Then again, it must be said that imho the rims and tyres are a no-go on this one. Apart from being much too shiny (which could be helped) the rims and tyres all have the same size and not a really good design. So unless you have a spare set of those special rims, there is a limit to what can be achieved with this kit. Fortunately, I built the Fujimi GTO in the early 90's but it has fallen apart by now, so I'll have those rims to go with the Italeri. Although I have to admit I got me the Fujimi kit aswell... It's been so rare for a couple of years so I bought one when the re-release came at a reasonable price.

Btw. Dann, what is so special about the #9 Fujimi kit? It's just the box, right?

And keep up the good work on the Lotus!

Thanks, Thomas!, I actually really like the italeri/revell/testors versions......I actually have at least one of each!.....I have two of the fujimi kits. The NO.9 kit is special for two reasons; 1) it includes a huge PE set, and 2) it also includes a bunch of chrome metal transfers......neither of which is indicated on the box......its an awesome surprise!

1. 5 minutes ago, Dann Tier said:
    1. The NO.9 kit is special for two reasons; 1) it includes a huge PE set, and 2) it also includes a bunch of chrome metal transfers......neither of which is indicated on the box......its an awesome surprise!

WOW - that is special indeed! I will inconspicously start looking for it... B)

Just now, Tommy124 said:

WOW - that is special indeed! I will inconspicously start looking for it... B)

LOL!!, its a bugger to find!.....I haven't seen one in the last 10 years or so...….if you want, I can send you photos of the special parts, later on today......ich bin meude

• Dann Tier changed the title to Re-engineering Monograms Lotus Esprit...new update!