Model Cars Magazine Forum

Re-engineering Monograms Lotus Esprit...new update!

Dann Tier

3 hours ago, Ich_Will said:

Love the wood trim Dann. I’ve done a few in various Mercs. They don’t come out consistent but that’s sort of the point of burled walnut, right? 

D939CA88-9B5D-48E8-A790-C2DFCF2DF01D.jpeg

Thanks, William!, you are right, and there are so many different ways to replicate the look. I have some knarlwood decals, but I wanted to try painting it......the Commercial Artist in me...lol

It looks like yours will work at 1/24 scale!

On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 7:21 AM, landman said:

Great woodgrain. What is "The technique?".

Here it is, bud!.....my Knarlwood technique....

-Photo 1; Brush on Flat Rust kolor...if it doesn't totally cover, its okay, it will add depth. You DONT want two coats anyway.

-Photo 2; I like to dry-brush-dab Flat black paint with a brush that I chopped very short.

-Photo 3; I now EXTREMELY lightly  Dry-brush-dab Flat Sand with the same brush.

-Photo 4; Next step is to add a coat of Clear Orange.

-Photo 5; For the last step, I used a Semi-gloss klear over everything. There are cars with different finishes on their wood, so you can pick whichever you want.

DSCF6813.JPG

DSCF6815.JPG

DSCF6816.JPG

DSCF6818.JPG

DSCF6819.JPG

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, c-groupie said:

LT. Dann ,  i have purchased a Cortina Lotus from down under . There is one now listed on EBay but listed only as Ford Cortina . It is just a curbside resin so paint and Lotus badges are about the only thing you need . GREAT work on the espirt

Thanks, Terry!, I will get back to this one soon after my Pagani is done. I love the Cortinas!!….hopefully you share the build with us!

• Dann Tier changed the title to Re-engineering Monograms Lotus Esprit...back to work

Hey, everyone!...its back to this bugger.....got the flocking done, and tomorrow I can start assembling the interior!   This was the first time I tried using pipping to outline the carpet edges, and I learned that I need to use a slightly larger solder to make it work....the size I used just disappeared under the flocking, so I have to compensate for that from now on. No biggy…..it still looks great!

DSCF7438.JPG

DSCF7439.JPG

DSCF7440.JPG

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 2:30 PM, iamsuperdan said:

I'll be honest, as much as I liked your Pagani build, I'm way more interested in this one!

Thanks, bud!!, i'm glad you like them both!.....I really looking forward to finally having one of these built again.....I love these cars!!  I recently got hit with the flu, but I will be back at building again in a day or so.

• Dann Tier changed the title to Re-engineering Monograms Lotus Esprit...new update!