Model Cars Magazine Forum

Re-engineering Monograms Lotus Esprit...new update!

Dann Tier

• 3 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Twokidsnosleep said:

You have a lot of irons in the fire mate...I can't keep up more than two builds at once

This Lotus is looking better and better with your detailing

NiceB)

Thanks, bud!!, I always built just one at a time, then recently started 8, now I've decided 4 is a good number. Its not that I couldn't handle 8, it was the fact that it took a whole year just to get ONE of them done, and i'm not getting anywhere that way. I don't really feel like I'm in a hurry, but the future is uncertain, and i'll be buggered if my kits/builds go to people who don't care, and there are certain cars that I HAVE TO BUILD before I check-out!!

• Dann Tier changed the title to Re-engineering Monograms Lotus Esprit...V8 Twin turbo
1 hour ago, Dann Tier said:

Thanks, bud!!, I always built just one at a time, then recently started 8, now I've decided 4 is a good number. Its not that I couldn't handle 8, it was the fact that it took a whole year just to get ONE of them done, and i'm not getting anywhere that way. I don't really feel like I'm in a hurry, but the future is uncertain, and i'll be buggered if my kits/builds go to people who don't care, and there are certain cars that I HAVE TO BUILD before I check-out!!

"the future is uncertain, and i'll be buggered if my kits/builds go to people who don't care, and there are certain cars that I HAVE TO BUILD before I check-out!!"

I have to agree with you Dann.

• Dann Tier changed the title to Re-engineering Monograms Lotus Esprit...new update!
10 hours ago, Jonathan said:

This has been fun (and educational!) to watch!  Keep up the good work. :)

Thanks a lot, Jonathan!!, i'm glad you are liking it!!…..I only have two more things to do to finish the interior now...painting/installing the floormats, and adding an interior over-the-head light.

Dan......have followed your posts on this kit. I have two of these in progress and a lot of your mod are impressive. One of my pet peeves on models is the wheels never steer. Here is my modification to the front suspension of the kit you are working on. The rubber boots are silicone tubing turned in a moto-tool. The rest is pretty straight forward. Mine are already painted and awaiting final assembly but I may add a lot of the mods to the interiors you have. Yours is looking very good.....Regards Rich

PS..took some digging to find these...it was done 10/21/2009

DSC01561.JPG

15 minutes ago, Rich Chernosky said:

Dan......have followed your posts on this kit. I have two of these in progress and a lot of your mod are impressive. One of my pet peeves on models is the wheels never steer. Here is my modification to the front suspension of the kit you are working on. The rubber boots are silicone tubing turned in a moto-tool. The rest is pretty straight forward. Mine are already painted and awaiting final assembly but I may add a lot of the mods to the interiors you have. Yours is looking very good.....Regards Rich

PS..took some digging to find these...it was done 10/21/2009

DSC01561.JPG

Thanks for following, Rich, i'm glad you're liking it! I too wish all models had posable steering. Its not really that annoying to me if they don't....surprisingly, i'd just prefer it. What DOES get under my wick though, is when a kit DOES have posable steering, but the design of the wheel wells is too tight to let them turn!!…..especially when you spend $95 on the kit, and its a curbside!!! As much as I love Fujimi kits, the Lamborghini Reventon kits steering?....gets on my wick!!  Depending on the kit, my motivation, and my mood at the time, dictates whether or not I fix the issues of kits, and in the case of my current build....the Reventon, I will just leave it alone. For my Lotus, I didn't really care too much about posable steering, probably due to the fact that I just got done with a year-long, insane build of the Pagani Huayra. What I DID decide to do to its suspension however, was to lower it a bit. I don't necessarily think the right height is that bad, but I just wanted a lower look. I think what you have done there is VERY cleaver, and looks great!!…..maybe you will post more photos of them?!….these don't get seen much often, due to the horrible fit issues.

46 minutes ago, Dann Tier said:

Thanks for following, Rich, i'm glad you're liking it! I too wish all models had posable steering. Its not really that annoying to me if they don't....surprisingly, i'd just prefer it. What DOES get under my wick though, is when a kit DOES have posable steering, but the design of the wheel wells is too tight to let them turn!!…..especially when you spend $95 on the kit, and its a curbside!!! As much as I love Fujimi kits, the Lamborghini Reventon kits steering?....gets on my wick!!  Depending on the kit, my motivation, and my mood at the time, dictates whether or not I fix the issues of kits, and in the case of my current build....the Reventon, I will just leave it alone. For my Lotus, I didn't really care too much about posable steering, probably due to the fact that I just got done with a year-long, insane build of the Pagani Huayra. What I DID decide to do to its suspension however, was to lower it a bit. I don't necessarily think the right height is that bad, but I just wanted a lower look. I think what you have done there is VERY cleaver, and looks great!!…..maybe you will post more photos of them?!….these don't get seen much often, due to the horrible fit issues.

Thanks for the reply and the compliments. I am with you on the wheel wells. I have carved many a body (especially resin) in order to get the wheels to steer properly. I have that Pagani Huayra and plan to put this little beauty in the seat. I have done some preliminary fitting of the body and chassis but the kit is very daunting. I am not easily intimidated by a kit but this is one of them. I have moods too and maybe I can get the incentive to dive into.  I have plenty of kits that will require a lot of engineering. A real modeler will dig into it and can turn a sow's ear ear into a decent model. I applaud your efforts on that Monogram Lotus. Its coming along quite nicely.

DSC05980.JPG

25 minutes ago, Rich Chernosky said:

Thanks for the reply and the compliments. I am with you on the wheel wells. I have carved many a body (especially resin) in order to get the wheels to steer properly. I have that Pagani Huayra and plan to put this little beauty in the seat. I have done some preliminary fitting of the body and chassis but the kit is very daunting. I am not easily intimidated by a kit but this is one of them. I have moods too and maybe I can get the incentive to dive into.  I have plenty of kits that will require a lot of engineering. A real modeler will dig into it and can turn a sow's ear ear into a decent model. I applaud your efforts on that Monogram Lotus. Its coming along quite nicely.

DSC05980.JPG

Nice!!, i'm gonna get the figure of the guy with his dog pissing on a tyre!...lol  -same company. I have just recently finished my Pagani, and I show how to fix the problems, plus add a TON of SB, and extras!  Its not really that bad, if you already know what needs to be done. I am an Admin on Youtubes Scale Models and Figurines, I have 3-4 videos on how I built my Pagani, in case you wanted to know. If you go back a few pages here, you will see around 28 pages of step-by-step photos of my Uber-detailed Huayra.

DSCF7364.JPG

DSCF7365.JPG

DSCF7366.JPG

DSCF7369.JPG

DSCF7370.JPG

DSCF7371.JPG

DSCF7372.JPG

DSCF7373.JPG

DSCF7374.JPG

DSCF7381.JPG

DSCF7382.JPG

DSCF7383.JPG

DSCF7384.JPG

DSCF7385.JPG

DSCF7386.JPG

DSCF7387.JPG

DSCF7388.JPG

• 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Tommy124 said:

Careful, Dann, as that means you'll still have to build a Bugatti to complete the scenery... LOL! Btw, I have that dog kit too! :rolleyes:

LOL!!…..I thought of that, but I cant find myself wasting supplies, or time on that mess!!, if I do do it, I will just get a dicast one.....even then, i'm struggling with having one in the house!!...lol