Model Cars Magazine Forum

Re-engineering Monograms Lotus Esprit...new update!

Dann Tier

Shaping up really nice!  When I cut clear window plastic, use the Dremel since the window part is wasted anyway, then work down to the finished edge, then sand with a block.  I DO NOT like cutting with a blade or saw, feel your pain.

20 hours ago, Gt fan said:

Looks really good Dann.. attention to detail is spot on. Nice to see one of these kits built.

Thanks, Bud!!...i wonder how many people noticed that Monogram molded the door handles backwards?....i just noticed it...who woulda thought you would have to double check that?!!...i have a save for mine though, so alls good.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, beeRS said:

Cutting that side glass must have been scary, but it came out well in the end. The yellow is looking great! I think it really suits the Esprit shape.

It always is, Bud!, but i was able to do it after my second window. I love it in the yellow too!!

• 1 month later...

Hey, everyone!, The interior is perminantly installed , as is the mesh. The windows are just set in, and wont be attached til the very end, for obviouss reasons. I also tacked on the rockers, and as you can see, they need to be tweaked a bit to fit properly....no worries.

DSCF9852.JPG

DSCF9853.JPG

DSCF9854.JPG

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/20/2020 at 1:39 AM, Spottedlaurel said:

Great to see such a nice job being done on this. It's one of those kits I've seen on my regular trawls through eBay, but always assumed wouldn't be much fun to build.

Your tweaks and attention to detail have nicely captured the look of the real thing.

Thanks, bud!, the first one i built a loooong time ago WASNT fun, so it took a trip across the room. You woulda thought that 20 years later someone would have made a better one -NOPE, so, since i love this car, and couldnt wait anymore, i decided to dive in, and fix all the issues, and share them, so that others could have an easier...fun time of it.

On 6/21/2020 at 4:07 AM, dbostream said:

Looks great, much better than the one I built. I remember losing interest in this hobby for a while after building this kit. 

I felt the same way with my first one. I hope this build shows you what to do to make it an easier -fun build, so that you can have your own!  

• 2 years later...

Its not Sunday, but better late than never, right? Theres been alot of hacking, fitting, and redoing. Over all, i decided to lighten up the car a bit more, hence all the holes. I normally dont bother with details that wont be seen, but i thought it would be cool to be able to still lift the body off the frame -only because its a very unique assembly.

-Photos 1-3; Heres how it sits lowered, and leveled. Most bits arent glued yet...there are a few more tweaks to do.

Photo 4; everything has been beefed up to handle the power increase.

-Photo 5&6; Just more views.

-Photo 7; Lowering the suspension wasnt all that was needed to get a proper ride height. I had to shave the top off the long frame section, and remove the firewall to get the rear end to match the front. I didnt have to, but i removed the front upper shock mounts to be able to add upgraded coil overs. The front cooler framework kept braking off during sanding, so i left it off til the end. The walls up the sides of the engine were shaved a bit as well.

-Photo 8; Made some headers, but no matter how much i snugged them up out of the way, i couldnt find a way to keep the brakes up against the tranny...its a bummer, so they have to be relocated to the wheels -sorry Lotus fans.

DSCF0625.JPG

DSCF0627.JPG

DSCF0628.JPG

DSCF0629.JPG

DSCF0630.JPG

DSCF0631.JPG

DSCF0632.JPG

DSCF0633.JPG

Edited by Dann Tier
  • Like 4