Model Cars Magazine Forum

Re-engineering Monograms Lotus Esprit...new update!

Dann Tier

23 hours ago, Italianhorses said:

Looks good! Are you planning a panel line wash?

Maybe just the photo, but on the hood and around the lights almost looks like the green is showing in the panel lines.

Thanks, i normally dont need to use panel liner on my builds, but i was still deciding if i needed to on this one with it being a lighter kolor -still undecided. If i do, i will either mix my own tinted yellow wash, or try my medium gray that i mixed with Tamiya gray, and black liners. Could be a faint hint of green, but everyone who knows this kit, and knows about bleed-through, might be seeing whats not really there, but what they know usually happens.....i may be doing it, lol

17 hours ago, Ben Brown said:

Beautiful paint work!

Ben

Thanks, bud!...i've never been accused of that before, since i dont believe in "Shinier is more realistic", lol......most people know that i believe in proper scaled gloss, so i'm not very popular with the "professional" guys, lol......i always joke that i'd never win Best Paint, but i dont care....lol

Just now, Scalper said:

Lol. yeah when the wife gets mad at me she calls my models "toys" 

LOL!!!....Tina said that she drove to another state to buy this kit as a suprise for me when we first met, and what did i do? -painted it her least favorite kolor!!!!! LOL, i said that i thought it was mine!!

1 hour ago, Dann Tier said:

Thanks, i normally dont need to use panel liner on my builds, but i was still deciding if i needed to on this one with it being a lighter kolor -still undecided. If i do, i will either mix my own tinted yellow wash, or try my medium gray that i mixed with Tamiya gray, and black liners. Could be a faint hint of green, but everyone who knows this kit, and knows about bleed-through, might be seeing whats not really there, but what they know usually happens.....i may be doing it, lol

There are blocking primers for this kind of stuff - I don't remember brands off the top of my head, but I have used them before and they do work great.

As for panel line wash, try Tamiya Smoke mixed with the main body color. Works real well.

6 minutes ago, Italianhorses said:

There are blocking primers for this kind of stuff - I don't remember brands off the top of my head, but I have used them before and they do work great.

As for panel line wash, try Tamiya Smoke mixed with the main body color. Works real well.

I like Duplicolors blocking primer....thats not a bad idea with the smoke paint either....probably quite a few good ways to do it. I think how deep the seams are helps dictate what solution works best.

Hey, everyone!...update time!....this body assembly is really picking up momentum now! -wont be much longer til the body, and interior are joined!!

-Photo 1; Here you can see that i added the front turning indicators, as well as the mirrors rubber joint.

-Photo 2; Tailights are installed, but they fought me all the way!

-Photo 3; I added the side markers, as well as my own high-tech touch -thumbprint security access....still need to attach the lock cylinders.

-Photo 4; I found the kolor for my panel line wash!....after staring at the body with all its parts in place, i had a great idea!....match the shadowing kolor thats around all the removable bits!!, so i did it by adding black liner to my gray until it reached the proper shade....check it out around the vents on this hood!...note; i didnt clean it up, since i will be painting over it.

-Photo 5; There is NO WAY i'm using that molded in wiper, so i will get rid of it, and make my own!

-Photo 6; I decided that i wanted the drivers side window in the down position, but this meant some VERY nerve wrecking plastic surgery. I drew out my outline...drilled holes all around the perimeter as close together as possible....used my Keyhole PE saw to connect the dots....then, on the last cut, the frame snapped. I tried twice to repair it, but to no avail, so now i have to try a different way....it'll be all good.

DSCF9649.JPG

DSCF9654.JPG

DSCF9650.JPG

DSCF9653.JPG

DSCF9642.JPG

DSCF9656.JPG

Edited by Dann Tier

Hey, everyone!,,,i'm soooo close to mating the body, and interior now!...just have to paint some interior A&B pillar trim.

-Photo 1; Are these intercoolers really like this in this car?.....nope.......do i care......nope, i just needed some visual interest for the front view. Its actually not too far off.

-Photo 2&3; I masked off the whole interior, and painted the rest in flat, and semi gloss black.

-Photo 4; All the windows masked, and painted....molded-in wiper removal was successful, as was CAREFULLY cutting open the drivers side window. Before installing the windscreen, i still need to wax it with Tamiya modelling wax.

-Photo 5; I painted the under side of the hood, and the sail panel access panels.

-Photo 6&7; quick mock-ups...

DSCF9660.JPG

DSCF9661.JPG

DSCF9662.JPG

DSCF9663.JPG

DSCF9664.JPG

DSCF9665.JPG

DSCF9666.JPG

Edited by Dann Tier

On 4/28/2020 at 8:17 AM, David G. said:

I recently discovered this thread and it took me a few days to get caught up on it.

All I can say is: Extraordinary work, as always!

The yellow you selected is an excellent choice.

David G.

Thanks alot, Bud! -much appreciated!