Model Cars Magazine Forum

What kind of other nerd are you?

Taxdude

I'm a music nerd, always looking for new music to listen to. I don't play any instruments, unless you count banging on my acoustic guitar.... The more obscure, the better! I like to listen to how artist manipulate notes, whether or not they will do what you expect next. That's the main reason I like a lot of the free based jam groups, always surprising you with what they pull out of their hats.......

There's not a good video of the song, but if you have an internet music account somewhere, you should check out C2B3's song "Elephant Ghost"..... a 10 minute jam full of surprises.....

Oh, and Les Claypool is my hero..... That in itself should make me a Huge nerd!  :D

1 hour ago, HomerS said:

I'm a die hard hockey fan.

Good to hear there is another hockey fan here. I’m an oilers fan myself but I’m cheering for Vegas to win the cup right now.

Edited by 426 pack

2 hours ago, 426 pack said:

Good to hear there is another hockey fan here. I’m an oilers fan myself but I’m cheering for Vegas to win the cup right now.

ALL CAPS.. They are on a mission after getting past Pittsburgh.

IMG_2486.JPG

Nerd pictures? OK.                             Cranberry/Ginger Clafoutis (something between cake and custard). Recipe from a magazine.

20161123_225821-vi.jpg

New England Clam Chowder. Robert Irvine recipe. (Food Network). Oh my gosh this is so good)

20160710_212032-vi.jpg

Savory Crepes. Mushroom and onion filling. Alton Brown recipe. Also asparagus wrapped in prosciutto. Something I first tried in Germany.

20160529_224637-vi.jpg

Edited by LDO

I'm pretty much into guns, cars, and airplanes. I can't afford real cars or airplanes so I build models of them. 

Upon further reflections, I also seem to be stuck in time. I prefer the airplanes of the 1940s through the 1960s, cars of the 1960s though early '70s, and guns of the 1940s though '70s or maybe '80s. I'm often heard to quote Steve McQueen in The Hunter: "New things are no good." B):lol:

51 minutes ago, LDO said:

Nerd pictures? OK.                             Cranberry/Ginger Clafoutis (something between cake and custard). Recipe from a magazine.

All looks good!

Here are a couple of very simple recent meals at our house.

Spaghetti Carbonara.

2v2JmEjVdxwUbWP.jpg

Greek Shrimp.

2v2JmEj4GxwUbWP.jpg

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

Model railways essentially, plus interest in the real thing. I belong to a society that owns three real 1:1 scale ex-British Rail locos that are hired out to work on the network.

Music - listening only as unfortunately I have no musical ability at all, therefore

Hi-fi - Equipment as high end as I can afford, with the emphasis on vinyl.

Car modelling and cars :D I owned a Triumph Vitesse Saloon Mk II 2-Litre for 11 years and did a lot of my own maintenance. Modern cars are too complex!

Also read a lot, and have what could be called a secondary interest in photography, bird watching, cooking (vegetarian only), aircraft and gardening.

Used to play a bit of football (soccer to the US readers) and squash but not for some years.

As has been said, it's easy to talk to anyone who models in any genre, as they are usually on the same wavelength.

steve

Edited by Earl Marischal
2nd thoughts

17 minutes ago, LDO said:

We should start a thread about food pics, to avoid hijacking this one.

I agree!

I was planning on starting a "What did you have for dinner" thread later on tonight after I finished cooking tonight's meal! ;)

I think it will probably not get a lot of traffic, but it might be fun!

Steve

26 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

...I was planning on starting a "What did you have for dinner" thread later on tonight after I finished cooking tonight's meal! ;)

I'm makin' a run to the border:  image.jpeg.9251231683ad1513620e094ed443db15.jpeg

Seriously, I'm the best cook I know, and I used to entertain a lot (though some of you guys probably have me beat now).

That said, when I'm in the mood for greasy semi-Mexican that tastes good and I don't have to mess with, it's hard to beat the Bell.  :D

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I'm makin' a run to the border:  image.jpeg.9251231683ad1513620e094ed443db15.jpeg

Seriously, I'm the best cook I know, and I used to entertain a lot (though some of you guys probably have me beat now).

That said, when I'm in the mood for greasy semi-Mexican that tastes good and I don't have to mess with, it's hard to beat the Bell.  :D

Well, that's where I have to disagree with you.

Of all of the fast food Mexican places out there, I like Taco Bell the least.

I don't think I've been through the doors of a Taco Bell in more than 25 years!

My brother used to lovingly refer to them as "Taco Hell".

We all have our own tastes, but if I'm in the mood for a Mexican "gut bomb" I would much rather swing by a Taco John's. B)

Steve

4 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

...We all have our own tastes, but if I'm in the mood for a Mexican "gut bomb" I would much rather swing by a Taco John's. B)

Well, we don't have Taco John's here. Even Del Taco left this market years ago, and the newly opened one is too far to drive for mediocre garbage food. The "real" Mexican joints (the ones with real illegal immigrants staffing them) are all mostly 10 or more miles away too.

Of course, my food tastes run from the sublime to the plebeian, and I can be just as happy chowing down on a bag of Krystals with a side of chili-cheese fries as I am in a 5-star snooty place where the parking attendants look at me with suspicion because my Jag is too old to be valuable, and too new to be really valuable. ;)

7 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Well, we don't have Taco John's here. Even Del Taco left this market years ago, and the newly opened one is too far to drive for mediocre garbage food. The "real" Mexican joints (the ones with real illegal immigrants staffing them) are all mostly 10 or more miles away too.

Of course, my food tastes run from the sublime to the plebeian, and I can be just as happy chowing down on a bag of Krystals with a side of chili-cheese fries as I am in a 5-star snooty place where the parking attendants look at me with suspicion because my Jag is too old to be valuable, and too new to be really valuable. ;)

I agree Bill.

Tonight it was homemade shrimp scampi along with steamed green beans with mushrooms, balsamic vinegar & shaved Parmesan.

Last night was boneless chicken wings and onion rings at Buffalo Wildwings.

Friday night it was a Dairy Queen bacon cheese burger & fries.

I enjoyed them all immensely!

Steve

On 6/2/2018 at 5:50 PM, dragstk said:

TaxDude, if we were closer, Id be out riding with you. Cycling is my #1 passion. I do 100-120 miles a week.

6 weeks ago, I just got a new Cannondale Synapse, so I can do some gravel riding. Cause there is a ton of state land near me.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I ride a Colnago M10.  Best bike I have ever had. Super responsive and just soaks up the miles.  My old bike was  Cannondale.  I've heard good thing about the Synapse.

9 hours ago, 426 pack said:

I'm a huge Red Winds fan going all the way back to the dark ages of the early 80's.  The Darkness of Harkness.

19 hours ago, Earl Marischal said:

Music - listening only as unfortunately I have no musical ability at all, therefore

Hi-fi - Equipment as high end as I can afford, with the emphasis on vinyl.

Right there with you Steve, JC

Hmm. One might accurately say I have a black belt in nerd. 

Image result for ad&d

Laugh all you want, but I have met some the most incedible people, not to mention my wife and best friend, thanks to this remarkable game. But don't get me wrong. I'm this kind of role player.

Image result for d&d nerd

NOT this kind. We make fun of these guys too.

Image result for LARP