Model Cars Magazine Forum

What kind of other nerd are you?

Taxdude

I like crossword puzzles, but only the big Sunday ones with a theme or a clever code of some kind that has to be cracked. I work the Sunday New York Times, Washington Post, and LA Times puzzles every week--in pen (red ink, just to show off). My par time is about 45 minutes, but I can sometimes do the WashPoo one in 30. 

I like old military bolt-action rifles, and the sporter (hunting/target shooting) rifles made from them. I just bought this one tonight. It's a Remington Model 30 Express (the factory sporter version of the 1917 Enfield).  It has a custom barrel that is single point cut and chambered in .358 Norma Magnum. The stock is a one-off in laminated walnut. I just couldn't resist. 

DSC09678-vi.jpg

DSC09683-vi.jpg

It will probably never go hunting. IMHO, hunting is just too expensive in Texas. For the price of hunting land access for a weekend, I could fill a freezer with ribeyes. That's nuts. 

1 hour ago, LDO said:

It will probably never go hunting. IMHO, hunting is just too expensive in Texas. For the price of hunting land access for a weekend, I could fill a freezer with ribeyes. That's nuts. 

But it is not about the "food" - it is about the thrill of stalking the prey, right? :D

On 6/2/2018 at 7:38 AM, Taxdude said:

I am also a huge fan of the old sailing man-of-war sailing ships from the late 1700's to the early 1800's.  On my bucket list is getting over to England to see the HMS Victory and to Boston to see the USS Constitution.

Me too. I have never seen one in person but when I see a picture I always say that shouldn’t be able to float. Just amazing the size and carpentry back then. Hopefully you read or heard of Ian Toll’s Six Frigates. Only a chapter in but great read all around.

I use to have some vintage Vespas like Allstates, Sprints and PXs but all sold when I moved.

Edited by Super Mario

On 6/6/2018 at 10:11 PM, LDO said:

I like old military bolt-action rifles, and the sporter (hunting/target shooting) rifles made from them. I just bought this one tonight. It's a Remington Model 30 Express (the factory sporter version of the 1917 Enfield).  It has a custom barrel that is single point cut and chambered in .358 Norma Magnum. The stock is a one-off in laminated walnut. I just couldn't resist. 

DSC09678-vi.jpg

DSC09683-vi.jpg

That's a beauty, a real classic. Whoever put it together had style and taste. 

On 6/6/2018 at 11:58 PM, peteski said:

But it is not about the "food" - it is about the thrill of stalking the prey, right? :D

If that's the case , I wish more people would take a camera and not kill it , unless they needed it .

On 6/6/2018 at 11:58 PM, peteski said:

I'm not a hunter.   We live in a wooded area and have tons of deer, I can look out my back window and sometimes there are a dozen deer grazing.   I've told my wife if by chance she hits and kills a deer to claim it!   I have the information for the local processor, and if that deer damaged my car I want it back in venison!

A quick story..  I found out about this the day after it happened.   My wife's brother lives in the NJ suburbs.  He looked out his back window and there was a deer just sitting there.  It was discovered that it had been hit by a car and hobbled there with a broken leg.  A cop came and put it down.  My bro-in-law was asked if he wanted the deer or to have it removed.  He wanted the icky dead animal off his property.  The cop made a call and a civilian pickup truck came and hauled it away.

I yelled at Bro-in-law that he gave away a few hundred pounds of prime meat!   No doubt the cop called a buddy and took the deer for himself.

I'm a collector (not a hoarder). 

I collect.........Model Kits, Die-cast cars (and other vintage toys), Radios, Cameras, Shot glasses, Paperback books, VHS tape movies (DVD too), Vinyl LP's, Old negatives/slides/photos, Typewriters, Ford Mustang memorabilia.  

Also.........BIG TIME Star Trek fan! 

On 6/6/2018 at 10:11 PM, LDO said:

DSC09683-vi.jpg

That stock is fascinating. I've never seen a laminate that wasn't done vertically. This one is horizontal, and the laminations seem to have a curve or bend in them. I wonder if they were cut that way, or bent that way? The design of the stock looks a little like a Fajen, but I don't think it's an actual Fajen. Whatever you've got here, it's very unusual, very unique, and very cool! 

Oh, BTW, has it been converted to cock-on-opening? 

Edited by Snake45

I'm not sure about the lamination being curved. It's not in my hands yet. I think it may be an illusion, exaggerated by the profile of the Monte Carlo cheekpiece. Here's the other side:

DSC09680-vi.jpg

I didn't ask if it is converted to cock on opening. If not, I'll do it.

I like this stock, too. The rifle is built on a Savage single shot. McGowen barrel chambered in 338 Edge. One-off muzzle brake.

20161024_101410-vi.jpg

It's a walnut and maple laminate target stock, covered with several coats of automotive clear. The wood is very plain, no fancy figure. I would love to do this with highly figured flame/quilted maple and some nice walnut. 

Edited by LDO
Wrong pic/punctuation

Entirely self-taught golfer.  Learned thorough years worth of golf magazine subscriptions, instructional videos and books. Shot my career best round over the weekend - 81.  No preferred lies, mulligans, gimme puts etc. Strict rules of golf.   Would'a, should'a, could'a  been my first round in the 70s. :blink:

Edited by afx

My daughter's boyfriend called my wife and I "giant nerds" because we have more than one astronomical telescope. He doesn't know the half of it yet. But yes, in no particular order:

• Astronomy nerd. Celestial mechanics if you must know.
  • Computer nerd; this keeps the bills paid.
  • Gun and reloading nerd
  • SCUBA nerd
  • Surfer
  • Rocket nerd, but I've retired.

Building models seems downright normal.