Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lindberg 72 Dodge Challenger

I just got back from Ollies with a couple of goodies! One was the 1972 Challenger from Lindberg. I have always stayed away from this cause it looks pretty bad on the box. I think it was on the forum here somewhere that I read this was actually the MPC tool. With that in mind I picked one up and compared it to my original built kit. This is probably old news but they sure look the same to me! I think it could be a nice looking model with a little work. Check out the pics and let me know what you think!

IMG_2403.JPG

IMG_2404.JPG

IMG_2405.JPG

IMG_2407.JPG

IMG_2408.JPG

IMG_2409.JPG

1 minute ago, Can-Con said:

What you have there Phillip, are two Lindberg Challengers, They were Palmer kits, not MPC but it's said that they were copied from the MPC kits. 

Thanks for the info! I thought my built up was an original MPC! I didn't think Lindberg/ Palmer did this kind of stuff back then, although maybe it's not that old just really dirty! That would explain some of the really generic stuff. I think it could still be workable.....maybe!!!

4 minutes ago, fordf-100 said:

Thanks for the info! I thought my built up was an original MPC! I didn't think Lindberg/ Palmer did this kind of stuff back then, although maybe it's not that old just really dirty! That would explain some of the really generic stuff. I think it could still be workable.....maybe!!!

Yea, they made copies of the MPC Challenger, Mustang and Corvette back in the early '70s and boxed them as "PSM" kits. They also did the '40 Ford coupe that Lindberg has reissued a few times but they never released it themselves back then. It was never released until Lindberg got ahold of it in the early '90s.

The body really isn't that bad, no worse than the MPC that they copied it from. The tail lights could use some work though, I think.

Edited by Can-Con

8 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

Yea, they made copies of the MPC Challenger, Mustang and Corvette back in the early '70s and boxed them as "PSM" kits. They also did the '40 Ford coupe that Lindberg has reissued a few times but they never released it themselves back then. It was never released until Lindberg got ahold of it in the early '90s.

The body really isn't that bad, no worse than the MPC that they copied it from. The tail lights could use some work though, I think.

Yes the tail lights need work. The head lights also need some work, I think maybe a little larger. What would be a good donor chassis? The new revell cuda? 

3 hours ago, fordf-100 said:

Yes the tail lights need work. The head lights also need some work, I think maybe a little larger. What would be a good donor chassis? The new revell cuda? 

I'm planning to use the chassis from an AMT Challenger convertible under mine. Should fit right under but I haven't checked.

The 'Cuda has a shorter wheelbase and would probably need stretched a bit  but I haven't checked that one either. Might get by with just scootching the rear axle back a bit. 

It looks better than I would have expected. Especially from Palmer. The only thing that looks wrong to me. And this is true with the MPC kit shown above too. Are the fake vents on the front fenders. Is that the way they looked without the factory stripes? 

Edited by unclescott58

I would be curious to see confirmation these kits originated as MPC.

I have both the this lindberg and original MPC kits . and other than they both are shaped like a challenger. I fail to see anything that indicates they started life as MPC kits/tools

That said, Ive seen a few of these Lindberg kits built. And with just a little bit of work can be made to look pretty decent . Especially for the initial price point compared to original MPC kits.

ps, I dont remember who it was. But someone on this board converted one of them to a 1970 using the recent revell kit as parts . And  it looked killer

Edited by gtx6970

4 hours ago, gtx6970 said:

I would be curious to see confirmation these kits originated as MPC.

I have both the this lindberg and original MPC kits . and other than they both are shaped like a challenger. I fail to see anything that indicates they started life as MPC kits/tools

That said, Ive seen a few of these Lindberg kits built. And with just a little bit of work can be made to look pretty decent . Especially for the initial price point compared to original MPC kits.

ps, I dont remember who it was. But someone on this board converted one of them to a 1970 using the recent revell kit as parts . And  it looked killer

No one said they originated or started life as MPC kits, they say they were copied from the MPC kits.

16 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

It looks better than I would have expected. Especially from Palmer. The only thing that looks wrong to me. And this is true with the MPC kit shown above too. Are the fake vents on the front fenders. Is that the way they looked without the factory stripes? 

Yea, that's pretty much how they looked, on the MPC anyway. They're mounted too high on both kits though, maybe that's why they look "off".

Image result for '74 challenger fender vent

Edited by Can-Con