Model Cars Magazine Forum

Rockford files 1977 firebird

dragmodels44

Very nice looking conversion. I always wondered why the Studio had him driving a standard Firebird instead of a Tran Am or something. While it was one of the things that made the series more realistic it seemed as if every series on TV at that time had the central caricature driving something that really stood out. With the light primer coat you can see some of the alterations you have had to do. Great looking job.   

Thanks! Reading some of the back stories about the series, they wanted to portray him as a paycheck to paycheck PI. Thus, having him drive a “ regular mans “ firebird seemed to fit better, along with living in the trailer. Garner, being a true car guy, had actual formula 400 firebirds that were stripped down to the esprit bird. He felt the formula, with the better suspension and 400 engine was better suited for the stunts, which he did a lot of himself.

I also read they used their own color of gold so it would be the same color for every one he drove. He also did not want the 79-80, wanting only to drive the 78.

Well, I think this was pretty good progress for one day. There’s still a lot left to do on the body, and I think I’ll just fill in the hole of the shaker hood using the resin flat hood because it has the molding lip in the middle and it seems to fit better. I’m still not sure how its going to turn out, but I think it’ll be decent enough for a curbside shelf model.

47A6B183-CCF9-488F-9B63-E223A4D482C3.jpeg

78835829-33B0-4AD2-8B49-BF3CC06561D3.jpeg

9A960F04-04A4-4E3E-AF52-A398ED0021CC.jpeg

18 hours ago, dragmodels44 said:

Thanks! Reading some of the back stories about the series, they wanted to portray him as a paycheck to paycheck PI. Thus, having him drive a “ regular mans “ firebird seemed to fit better, along with living in the trailer. Garner, being a true car guy, had actual formula 400 firebirds that were stripped down to the esprit bird. He felt the formula, with the better suspension and 400 engine was better suited for the stunts, which he did a lot of himself.

I also read they used their own color of gold so it would be the same color for every one he drove. He also did not want the 79-80, wanting only to drive the 78.

As you mentioned, Garner was a very good driver in his own right. I don't know if you have ever seen the movie Grand Prix in which he plays a driver on the Europe tour. He attended several driving schools and became very accomplished in several different types of racing. He even competed in the Baja 1000 a few times. From everything I ever read about him he was a very principled person in his private life as well.       

I have watched two seasons of the Rockford files and I really enjoyed Garner's portrayal, especially seeing as he would rather back out of a fight then go in somewhere looking for a fight. I don't know much about PI's but I would think they are not getting paid to constantly have punch-up's :)

I am following this build and would love to do something similar in the future.

Nice work so far.   I presume that hood is designed to fit the old MPC kit? I'd be tempted to use that as a reference and cut down the corners of the windshield and the door tops to match - it looks like Revell cocked up (again) and made the top of the doors too high.  The door window should be noticeably lower than the rear window.

It’s the Revell L88 vette kit. I tend to do the bodies first this way I can go back at anytime to finish it. Reason being, the decals. If they ever go bad, that subject matter is shot. I’m trying to get the bodywork on the Rockford firebird done, and finish the White Lightening Galaxie finished today.

9DCBF2D1-0A85-432A-9F84-C6CF5E8C0B3E.jpeg

I looked  at what you are doing, and your work is excellent. One thing I would do is add a little more roundness to the tops of the windows. The Monogram/Revell Firebirds are too flat along the top, and looks chopped. Take a look at the AMT 70 Camaros. They have the proper shape for a non t-topped side window.

Update. Well the hood’s turning out nicely so far. I got the filler piece in and molded in place. I also tried to add a little curvature to the top of the windows at the roof line but I had to be careful as I was afraid about cracking where the t tops are molded in, but I think its starting to look like an esprit.Thanks for looking!

D324AB84-3EF6-4772-928B-2314A0FF4CC6.jpeg

088A053B-0D54-4D79-A583-D7464F5A218C.jpeg

This is really turning into a nice model. The Rockford Files was one of my two favorite shows as a kid (the other being Ba Ba Blacksheep) and I always thought the car was as important a character as James Rockford himself. You are doing justice to this one.