Model Cars Magazine Forum

Porsche 961

aurfalien

Hello fellow builders,

I embarked on this kit as a quicky to bring my moral up as my projects were bringing me down due to my many many errors and blunders.

However this also turned out to be a downer and as such I barley got through it.

My main issues were 3 fold;

1) I ruined the internal window decals by putting to much decal setting solution on them and resorted to pin stripe tape for outlining the edges.

* I am now much more conservative with decal softener.

2) While my air brushing was finally going well, towards the end it started to sputter and it looked as though I was possessed by Jackson Pollock.  I looked down at my compressor and it was off!  The entire car was ruined with spots.  So I turned on my compressor, loaded the pant cup with lacquer thinner and sprayed in hopes of re-liquefying the paint to even it out.

* I now double check everything before spraying.

3) I ruined the dry transfer tire decals as I thought they were water slide.

* I now know the difference between the 2 types.

While the paint is very flawed, I couldn't bring myself to strip it down due to a few factors being that I simply didn't have it in me to start over and the windows were integrated into the body.

At any rate it's done and I simply need to build more kits to be at the caliber I so desire.

GG8Ss3BI_t.jpg 7eWWlX49_t.jpg BszWh8pw_t.jpg ryjrcWPY_t.jpg pHslz7VR_t.jpg vjD55XX4_t.jpg wMxAzUUc_t.jpg JX6HRbQ7_t.jpg CQIL5cIY_t.jpg 2nymYbCe_t.jpg sszbauaV_t.jpg 5MsonsoZ_t.jpg rIa4LD0K_t.jpg kH9DHLyF_t.jpg QxQ0x8EV_t.jpg

I forgot to list my mods;

Fabricated headlight grills

Swapped wheels/tires for ScaleProduction offerings.

Fabricated driver window netting.

Added some PE.

Lowered and modified stance a bit.

Used IndyCals tire decals.

Added white bandage tape to seats for cloth simulation.

Fabricated exhaust pipes.

Edited by aurfalien

12 minutes ago, bbowser said:

Despite all the issues I think it looks great!  Each one we finish is practice for the next.  Keep them coming.

Hi and thank you sir, very very kind words.

Edited by aurfalien

Looks great, you would never know the issues you had to look at the finished model. I'm wondering if you had any issues with the building of the kit besides what you mentioned ? I have two of these and have been considering building one and I don't usually build this type of model.   

Hello and thank you very much for the kind replies.  They boost my moral for sure!

6 minutes ago, espo said:

I'm wondering if you had any issues with the building of the kit besides what you mentioned ? I have two of these and have been considering building one and I don't usually build this type of model.   

The kit itself went together very easily and had very little flash and has a nice decal sheet.

It's a nice kit if you want something out for display quickly.  There is some after market options like a nice PE set and the Rothmans decal set as well. 

Edited by aurfalien

1 minute ago, aurfalien said:

Hello and thank you very much for the kind replies.  They boost my moral for sure!

The kit itself went together very easily and had very little flash and has a nice decal sheet.

It's a nice kit if you want something out for display quickly.  There is some after market options like a nice PE set and the Rothmans decal set as well. 

Thanks for the info.

Hello sirs,

Wow thank you for such flattering comments.  Pumps me up.

1 minute ago, Phildaupho said:

I was not familiar with the 961 so did a little research. Interesting bit of Porsche history.

When I first saw the 959 on the cover of VW&Porsche magazine in 85'ish, my jaw dropped.  I was like 4wd, and a wasser boxer, awesomeness!

It has really nice lines, surprised no one has come out with a full detail 961 kit.  Although I suppose one can combo Tamiyas 959 with it.

I didn't as the initial purpose was a quick build.

On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 7:37 PM, aurfalien said:

Hello fellow builders,

I embarked on this kit as a quicky to bring my moral up as my projects were bringing me down due to my many many errors and blunders.

However this also turned out to be a downer and as such I barley got through it.

My main issues were 3 fold;

1) I ruined the internal window decals by putting to much decal setting solution on them and resorted to pin stripe tape for outlining the edges.

* I am now much more conservative with decal softener.

2) While my air brushing was finally going well, towards the end it started to sputter and it looked as though I was possessed by Jackson Pollock.  I looked down at my compressor and it was off!  The entire car was ruined with spots.  So I turned on my compressor, loaded the pant cup with lacquer thinner and sprayed in hopes of re-liquefying the paint to even it out.

* I now double check everything before spraying.

3) I ruined the dry transfer tire decals as I thought they were water slide.

* I now know the difference between the 2 types.

While the paint is very flawed, I couldn't bring myself to strip it down due to a few factors being that I simply didn't have it in me to start over and the windows were integrated into the body.

At any rate it's done and I simply need to build more kits to be at the caliber I so desire.

GG8Ss3BI_t.jpg 7eWWlX49_t.jpg BszWh8pw_t.jpg ryjrcWPY_t.jpg pHslz7VR_t.jpg vjD55XX4_t.jpg wMxAzUUc_t.jpg JX6HRbQ7_t.jpg CQIL5cIY_t.jpg 2nymYbCe_t.jpg sszbauaV_t.jpg 5MsonsoZ_t.jpg rIa4LD0K_t.jpg kH9DHLyF_t.jpg QxQ0x8EV_t.jpg

I forgot to list my mods;

Fabricated headlight grills

Swapped wheels/tires for ScaleProduction offerings.

Fabricated driver window netting.

Added some PE.

Lowered and modified stance a bit.

Used IndyCals tire decals.

Added white bandage tape to seats for cloth simulation.

Fabricated exhaust pipes.

This looks FANTASTIC, bud!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...….love EVERYTHING about it!!!!!!!