Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Did You Have for Dinner?

In light of a few cooking posts on another thread, a couple of us thought that this might be fun.

My thought is, let's keep it simple with as few rules as possible.

Basically, anything food related, whether it's what you had for dinner, breakfast, lunch or even a snack.

It can be something you made yourself, or even something you ordered in a restaurant.

But let's try to keep it interesting!

Please try to refrain from posting photos of your Domino's pizza or your McDonald's quarter pounder with cheese. ;)

I'll start this party with what I made for the wife & I tonight.

Nothing horribly complicated.

Some shrimp scampi with a ton of garlic & a little white wine served over Jasmin rice with a side of steamed balsamic green beans & mushrooms with shaved Parmesan.

Along with an all time favorite of ours of good artisan bread with olive oil, balsamic vinegar and shredded Parmagiano Reggiano.

Steve

2v2JmZoijxwUbWP.jpg2v2JmZoGzxwUbWP.jpg

Edited by StevenGuthmiller
  • Like 1

Sir, that is some beautiful chow. Last time I put even that much effort into a single meal was when I had a full-time significant other. She's long gone, and my current abode just isn't set up to cook much of anything imaginative. II'll spare you the details, but my repertoire is limited to what I can do on one gas burner, a microwave, and a toaster-oven; happily for me, I should be in new digs with a real kitchen by November or so. :D

40 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

In light of a few cooking posts on another thread, a couple of us thought that this might be fun.

Basically, anything food related, whether it's what you had for dinner, breakfast, lunch or even a snack.

It can be something you made yourself, or even something you ordered in a restaurant.

Please try to refrain from posting photos of your Domino's pizza or your McDonald's quarter pounder with cheese. ;)

Some shrimp scampi with a ton of garlic & a little white wine served over Jasmin rice with a side of steamed balsamic green beans & mushrooms with shaved Parmesan.

Along with an all time favorite of ours of good artisan bread with olive oil, balsamic vinegar and shredded Parmagiano Reggiano.

Steve

2v2JmZoijxwUbWP.jpg2v2JmZoGzxwUbWP.jpg

STOP that Steve as you're makin' me hungry and I just had dinner not too long ago.  My wife and I went out to dinner last night and she ordered the prime rib and lobster tail and I enjoyed the salmon. Going back there in two weeks with some long time friends of ours.

1 hour ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Steve

Steve, you have some serious skills.  Do you use a #11 blade to prep your food?

Fred

1 hour ago, Taxdude said:

Steve, you have some serious skills.  Do you use a #11 blade to prep your food?

Fred

I was very fortunate in my partner selection & my wonderful wife has equipped me with several exceptionally nice Wusthof knives over the years. ;)

Steve

2v2JmQ7zrxwUbWP.jpg

Tonight we dine on lemon pepper chicken breasts.  They've already been cooked on the grill with the seasonings.  Just have to nuke them. Also on the plate will crispy roasted red potatoes with sea salt, pepper, and other spices.  The spuds have been cooked in the oven already so will be heated up in the toaster oven. A salad with lettuce, tomato, cucumber, radishes, and carrot slices will accompany the chicken and potatoes.

Tuesday is meat loaf with mashed potatoes and salad.

Wednesday is burger night.

Thursday we'll have roasted chicken, mashed potatoes and salad.

Friday is pizza night.

Marcia makes the weeks menu beforehand so she knows what to purchase on her shopping trip.

Last night we had one of my son's favorites, bacon wrapped peanut butter hot dogs, aka Dixie Dogs, with fresh made steak fries seasoned with my own spicy recipe. Before anyone goes, "Ugh!", try it. I used to make two dozen, by request, every few weeks for his classmates in grade school. Tonight, Chicken Cordon Bleu stuffed with prosciutto and Havarti cheese and spaetzle drowned in Borowik (dried wild forest) mushroom gravy. Tomorrow, linguine with my own white clam and shrimp diavolo sauce. Wednesday, we're having stuffed bacon cheeseburgers. The stuffing is the bacon and cheese inside the burger. This leaves more room  to pile stuff on the burger without sliding off when you take a bite. Plus, it's less messy.  :D 

7 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

Last night we had one of my son's favorites, bacon wrapped peanut butter hot dogs, aka Dixie Dogs, with fresh made steak fries seasoned with my own spicy recipe. Before anyone goes, "Ugh!", try it. I used to make two dozen, by request, every few weeks for his classmates in grade school. Tonight, Chicken Cordon Bleu stuffed with prosciutto and Havarti cheese and spaetzle drowned in Borowik (dried wild forest) mushroom gravy. Tomorrow, linguine with my own white clam and shrimp diavolo sauce. Wednesday, we're having stuffed bacon cheeseburgers. The stuffing is the bacon and cheese inside the burger. This leaves more room  to pile stuff on the burger without sliding off when you take a bite. Plus, it's less messy.  :D 

Not sure about the peanut butter hot dogs, but everything else sounds great, especially the Cordon Bleu & the linguine!

I won't dis your hot dog idea too much without trying it though.

One of my wife's favorite things is a big juicy burger with peanut butter & bacon.

Steve

7 hours ago, crazyjim said:

Tonight we dine on lemon pepper chicken breasts.  They've already been cooked on the grill with the seasonings.  Just have to nuke them. Also on the plate will crispy roasted red potatoes with sea salt, pepper, and other spices.  The spuds have been cooked in the oven already so will be heated up in the toaster oven. A salad with lettuce, tomato, cucumber, radishes, and carrot slices will accompany the chicken and potatoes.

Tuesday is meat loaf with mashed potatoes and salad.

Wednesday is burger night.

Thursday we'll have roasted chicken, mashed potatoes and salad.

Friday is pizza night.

Marcia makes the weeks menu beforehand so she knows what to purchase on her shopping trip.

I don't plan that far ahead.

We have a general agreement in my house that the wife does simple meals during the week like the items that you mentioned.

Friday night is usually simple take out like pizza & burgers.

Saturday night is "date night" when we go out for dinner, & then it's usually my kitchen for Sunday night dinner.

I like to do something fancier on those nights on occasion, but with there being only the 2 of us at home now, many times it winds up being something fairly simple on that night as well.

Last Sunday it was a big plate of beef & bean nachos.

Steve

2 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

I had a burger w/ peanut butter and bacon for the first time recently (at our local chain 'Melt Bar and Grilled')...was delicious. 

I like them too!

Funny, but the first time that saw them on the menu, she turned her nose up at them. :)

I usually will opt for a mushroom & swiss or a bacon cheeseburger.

Steve