Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Did You Have for Dinner?

Tonight's fare was very basic & nostalgic.

I was raised on this dish that my mother called "Goulash".

No, it's not goulash, and it's not really a casserole because it's made in a skillet.

I suppose that the rest of the world might call it "macaroni & beef".

My mother got the recipe from her mother & it was a quick supper for my siblings and I growing up.

Then it became a staple in our household for our kids when they were young.

Now my wife & I make it for ourselves on occasion for a week night meal just because it's fast & delicious.

Now our daughter has started making it for her boyfriend & herself.

Funny how these goofy little things seem to keep moving from generation to generation.

This recipe is a little different than most "mac & beef" recipes as it has no tomato sauce.

It uses ketchup instead.

Other flavorings include onion, paprika, chili powder & brown sugar.

Buy the way, it's the exact same recipe as sloppy joes in our household, minus the macaroni. :P

And yes, the cold Sol is a perfect accompaniment. :)

Steve

2v2JCVZgFxwUbWP.jpg

7 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

the cold Sol is a perfect accompaniment

"Cerveza".........has been a "staple" of many a meal.....sometimes even "the meal"...liquid pork chops!

Looks good Sir!

On 7/8/2018 at 10:41 PM, StevenGuthmiller said:

I believe that I have at least a couple of bottles of Negra Modelo in my fridge right now. ;)

I was recently in a local burger/ craft beer joint that the wife & I have been enjoying lately.

The last few times I was there I had ordered a bottle of Red Stripe.

They carry few bottled beers, & of the ones that they do have, Red Stripe was the only one that I liked.

The bartender told me that I had better enjoy it because tRhey were about to eliminate it from their menu. :rolleyes:

I guess they needed to make room for another "Boar's Ass IPA" or something!

Steve

Way back when I just sat on the beach in Jamaica drinking  Red Stripe beers for most of the week. While I enjoyed Jamaica my better half wasn't too thrilled with it.

On 7/12/2018 at 8:13 PM, StevenGuthmiller said:

:lol:

You do that too?

With me, it's usually liver and onions! :D

Steve

Absolutely!  For me it's seafood...shrimp, squid, octopus, clam strips, gator, scallops, lobster.  The wife's limit is the BBQ salmon at Lone Star. Both boys will eat my shrimp, but that is about it.  I don't help matters when I also go for the Jamaican, Thai or other aromatic spices.  (I'm fat because I can cook and apparently do very well)

Had some delicious tilapia stuffed w/ crabmeat and shrimp at Bonefish Grill on Thursday night, and some shrimp tacos at Margaritaville yesterday.   I've had more seafood since moving back to Ohio than I did in years in Arizona.   Besides the chains, lots of great local seafood places, esp. along Lake Erie. 

Is "spatchcock" a word that gets you kicked off of the forum?

https://www.seriouseats.com/2017/01/the-food-lab-how-to-roast-a-butterflied-spatchcocked-chicken.html

A little dry rub, a little olive oil, cook on low heat until done. My Weber is about 325 degrees F inside on low.

Served with mashed spuds and a big salad. Could also grill some asparagus or corn, but we didn't have any and nobody wanted to go to the store.chicken.thumb.jpg.b784a7d1ccdfaff29f99fddad0e9a577.jpg

On 7/18/2018 at 6:37 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

Tuna-jalapeno-tomato sandwich on crusty pumpernickel with an icy-cold Red Stripe. Fresh strawberries for dessert. Mmmmmm mmmmmm good. :D

Tuna is a bit like chicken, there's no wrong way to make it! I like tuna patties a lot better than salmon....... sometimes I make those little "pasta sides" and empty a can into them........... 

Tonight, another "mail order meal".

Greek Shrimp Scampi Fettuccine.

Not the best thing I ever ate, but not bad.

The "Roasted Red Pepper Bruschetta" is my own concoction and I recommend it highly to everyone!

My wife would make a meal of just that.

It consists of roasted red peppers, anchovies, capers, fresh basil, balsamic vinegar & olive oil.

Served over slices of grilled french baguette & topped with fresh grated Parmagiano Reggiano.

Very, very tasty! ;)

Steve

2v2JWhFNGxwUbWP.jpg

Haven't had it quite yet. My wife is preparing supper right now. We stopped on the way back from Evansville where I had an appointment with the VA and bought some more fresh produce. I found the first all yellow sweet corn of the season and we also grabbed some fresh potatoes, tomatoes, cucumbers, muskmelon, and a Black Diamond watermelon from Posey County, IN. So tonight's feast will be baked potato with all the fixin's, sweet corn, and cucumbers & onions. It's hard to beat that meal. I don't even need meat to make a feast out of fresh produce.

We also talked to a guy that's kind of "famous", locally anyway, for his sweet corn. He grows only "Serendipity" yellow & white corn and it's always delicious. He said he had sold out the first patch, but would start picking out of his second patch in 2 days, so the wife is going to run down where he's from in 2 days and get us some of that corn. We'll be eating high on the hog all week.

• 3 weeks later...

Went to friends house with my wife and our friend loves to cook and so do I and we decided to try something that we don't know if anyone ever tried! Well she makes the greatest egg rolls so we decided to do someting in an egg roll wrapper and it worked out amazing! Ruben egg rolls Swiss cheese, corned beef and sauerkraut in an egg roll wrapper deep fried with thousand island dressing to dip in!

vince

image.jpeg

1 hour ago, vintagedragcrazy said:

Went to friends house with my wife and our friend loves to cook and so do I and we decided to try something that we don't know if anyone ever tried! Well she makes the greatest egg rolls so we decided to do someting in an egg roll wrapper and it worked out amazing! Ruben egg rolls Swiss cheese, corned beef and sauerkraut in an egg roll wrapper deep fried with thousand island dressing to dip in!

vince

Sounds great!

Anything in an egg roll wrapper has to be! ;)

Steve