Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Did You Have for Dinner?

Nuttin but a bowl of steamed Brussles sprouts and dipping butter. Looking through the fridge for what was getting close to past-it (Americans WASTE over 25% of the food they buy on average, and I really don't like to waste if I can help it), I noticed I still had sprouts I didn't cook for Thanksgiving. The outer leaves were wilted and the stem ends were dried out, but after a little judicious trimming, they were fine.

I think a lot of people hate Brussels sprouts because they get bitter if they're overcooked, but steamed just until they turn dark green, and slathered in melted butter, they're slightly sweet, have an almost meaty texture and make a surprisingly satisfying meal all on their own. Good for ya, too.  :D

Never liked Brussel sprouts as a kid, they where always over cooked and bitter.

Took a long time for me to try them again, much like the lousy canned mushrooms I was brought up on.

Here is a nice recipe I have found and made several times for a really tasty salad, give it a try. 

https://wholefully.com/shaved-brussels-sprout-salad-apples-walnuts/

Edited by STYRENE-SURFER

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Nuttin but a bowl of steamed Brussles sprouts and dipping butter. Looking through the fridge for what was getting close to past-it (Americans WASTE over 25% of the food they buy on average, and I really don't like to waste if I can help it), I noticed I still had sprouts I didn't cook for Thanksgiving. The outer leaves were wilted and the stem ends were dried out, but after a little judicious trimming, they were fine.

I think a lot of people hate Brussels sprouts because they get bitter if they're overcooked, but steamed just until they turn dark green, and slathered in melted butter, they're slightly sweet, have an almost meaty texture and make a surprisingly satisfying meal all on their own. Good for ya, too.  :D

Brussels sprouts have always been one of my favorites.

I think that many times, whether or not you like something can have a lot to do with how you were raised.

Coming from a German/Russian family from the Dakotas, I was brought up on things like Brussels sprouts, cabbage, rutabagas, turnips & kohlrabies.

To this day one of my favorite meals is something that a good majority of people turn their nose up at.

Liver and onions!!

Can't get enough!

We ate a lot of chicken livers when I was a kid too.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, HomerS said:

Mongolian Beef.  Finicky 12 year old decided he didn't want any and the wife took some of the beef/pepper/onions before i put in the flavoring.  Needless to say I have lunch for a couple days.

Yum!

I have a fantastic Mongolian Beef recipe!

I haven't made it in a while.

Possibly soon! ;)

Steve

Paleo chili on rice with some shredded cheddar and a dollop of sour cream. I'm not paleo but I had friend who were. They were coming to dining so I found this chili recipe and liked it enough to keep making it. One thing is you replace the beans with cubed sweet potatoes,

Took mama out to Famous Daves's, for our 42 anniversary, last night.

I had a double order of the brisket, cole slaw, wilber beans and a couple of Budweisers      Mama had a order of brisket and an order of wings, cole slaw, french fries and a couple of lite beers,   And for dessert we had Banana Pudding.

Great meal with a great women, we even stopped at our favorite watering hole on the way home and had an anniversary drink.

50 minutes ago, Cornpatch said:

I had a double order of the brisket, cole slaw, wilber beans and a couple of Budweisers      Mama had a order of brisket and an order of wings, cole slaw, french fries and a couple of lite beers,   And for dessert we had Banana Pudding.

Great meal with a great women, we even stopped at our favorite watering hole on the way home and had an anniversary drink.

Happy Anniversary! 42 years. That's great.

8 hours ago, Cornpatch said:

Mmmmm, Wilbur Beans! :wub:

Steve

Today we had our annual "Christmas Seafood Feast", albeit a slightly truncated version.

My daughter needed to return home this morning, so she was not able to dine with us as usual.

So this year, it was just the wife and I and our 25 year old son.

No veggies or starches, no bread, no salads.

Only succulent seafood!

This year it was king and snow crab, bacon wrapped shrimp with a teriyaki BBQ sauce, mussels with garlic and white wine, and shrimp scampi.

All very delicious.

Steve

2v2EHgEmCxwUbWP.jpg

2v2EHgEPmxwUbWP.jpg

2v2EHgEs4xwUbWP.jpg

2v2EHgEDVxwUbWP.jpg

2v2EHgEYCxwUbWP.jpg

Steve....you are killing me!  Shrimp, crab, lobster, squid, octopus, gator, shark, oyster, clams, scallops...it's all good.  Not much of a fish fan but everything else aquatic, I'm in!!  Don't know how I married someone who've seafood is only BBQ'ed Salmon.

3 minutes ago, HomerS said:

Steve....you are killing me!  Shrimp, crab, lobster, squid, octopus, gator, shark, oyster, clams, scallops...it's all good.  Not much of a fish fan but everything else aquatic, I'm in!!  Don't know how I married someone who've seafood is only BBQ'ed Salmon.

I know. How wonderful.