Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Did You Have for Dinner?

2 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

If I lived closer to you, I'd invite myself over for dinner every week.  :D

You would be more than welcome Bill! :)

Dinner time has not arrived yet, so I decided to try my hand at making a batch of date filled cookies.

My mother made these every Christmas season, and I waited for them with great anticipation every year.

Now she has reached the age where she does little in the kitchen any more, so it falls upon me to continue the tradition.

These are not the exact recipe that my mother used, but they turned out pretty well.

image.jpeg.14c23d25db76220e30bc8db3f342fcd7.jpeg

image.jpeg.b2f9cc0c9563d7e828bb4a0f54983171.jpeg

image.jpeg.7cf2853d3a920bc0e3f5b5500d8cab84.jpeg

Steve

On 12/17/2020 at 7:46 PM, Dave Ambrose said:

My sister-in-law sent us a game box with venison, boar, and a couple of pheasants. We cooked the venison this evening. Forgot to take a picture, but it was deerlicious. 

I see what you did there; very punny! You're really on top of your game!

??

10 minutes ago, Danno said:

I see what you did there; very punny! You're really on top of your game!

??

Sadly, this wasn’t game, per se. This came from a company in New Jersey courtesy of my sister in law. some years ago, my wife shot two deer on a hunting trip. We ate a lot of venison that fall. 

Puppy chow,hmmmmm

Puppy Chow, also typically known as monkey munch, muddy buddies, muddy munch, reindeer chow, or doggy bag, is the name for a homemade snack made in the United States. The snack is primarily rooted in Midwestern culture. [2]The recipe's name and ingredients can differ depending on the version, but most recipes will typically include cereal, melted chocolate, peanut butter (or other nut butters), and powdered sugar. Nut free versions can be made using nut butter alternatives, like Notnuts or sun butter. Cereals used in the recipes are usually Chex and/or Crispix. The snack's true origins are not known.

I'll call it lamb stew with key ingredients from good people. Friends at the local gas station gave me a bottle of Ecliptic Brewing Tiramisu Stout a couple of days ago - it's in the stew. Needed flour to brown the lamb so it finishes cooking in the stew.  A small package of four is five pounds, use a cup for something and the rest goes in the cupboard - no idea how long it's been there. Bakery gave me a cup of fresh flour yesterday morning.  Added onions, mushrooms, yellow pepper, potatoes and a little garlic, salt and pepper.  350 for three hours.  Cooking now, house smells great.  Will add some fresh tomatoes when it gets down to 15 minutes to go.

Visiting friends yesterday and also picked up a couple of other goodies for dinner  - Pecan pie for desert (but it's gone already) and fresh home baked rolls from an old family recipe

About an hour away from primetime.

Mrs. Bucky and myself just finished off a meal consisting of oven-baked thick cut bacon, cut-leaf spinach, and black eyed peas from the pressure cooker. Served up with coffee and SunDrop.

Sorry....no pics. (It didn't last long enough to take pics!)

@Tom Geiger, good one!  In Europe, the "poor folks kitchen" in all countries, have amazing old recipes. Still today, the best food comes from bashing together what you have.

Basically, raid the fridge and add what's grown in your immediate area, or what you grow yourself.  I like the Italian version of the poor folk's kitchen.....simply sensational!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I haven't posted here for a while, but I do have some photos from our recent vacation to show.

On the night before we flew out, we stopped at Chevy's by the Mall of America in Bloomington Minnesota and ordered far more "Mixed Grille" fajitas than we could ever eat. :P

image.jpeg.8dfdb4c87b3c4516e8523475e84ad010.jpeg

Once in the Phoenix area, we made a trip to the small copper mining town of Jerome Arizona, where we had a nice lunch of pulled pork sandwiches and beans at "Bobby D's BBQ".

image.jpeg.6353d281dadcecd28ace5555d4ae74da.jpeg

On our last night in the Phoenix area, we were directed by a friend to a very nice restaurant called "St Francis". 

Very good service and terrific food.

I had "Thai Style Mussels" and "Grits Stuffed Shrimp" from the appetizer menu for my meal, and my wife had "Seared Scallops with Risotto".

Delicious!

image.jpeg.5164930f4455c2195361804ed3dcbbce.jpeg

image.jpeg.b4d452b8c5d671e29fa0396b592b051e.jpeg

image.jpeg.119244002e3f40ec7c7e80899bb1e0fa.jpeg

image.jpeg.39d9f1e0e1a7ca8f312d2e340d86f213.jpeg

image.jpeg.c03b6e12ea583add0b172071d70f6917.jpeg

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller