Model Cars Magazine Forum

Project - Ryan Blaney's 2018 #12 Menard's Ford

Matt T.

Laid some paint down yesterday. Testors/Pactra Fluorescent Yellow over Tamiya white primer. Three coats. Waiting a week before I clear it. Can anyone confirm that Testors or Tamiya lacquer clear will work over this polycarbonate paint?

2v2JmwHYhx22vCF.jpg

Edited by Matt T.

I agree with Tim, you should test it first.  I do this even when the paint and the clear are from the same company.  A few years ago, I painted a car using Rustoleum 2X paint and a Rustoleum 2X clear.  The clear turned the paint to resemble alligator skin.

I tested Model Master High Gloss Lacquer Clear on the spoon and it went well. So, per the can's instructions, I laid down two wet coats of clear (plus one more) a few minutes apart. Should be plenty to polish to a nice shine. I read on the Pactra Polycarbonate paint can that the paint is resistant to fuel, solvents, etc. So it's tough stuff. Didn't change its hue or shade with the clear over it either. Highly recommend.

2v2JTwKuyx22vCF.jpg

3 hours ago, Matt T. said:

Thanks Mark. That photo is about 10 mins. after spraying. It has since shrunk enough to lose that wet look. But I've used this clear over the automotive colors before, and it polishes nicely.

Awesome. Cant wait to see the final result. I'm sure it will be outstanding.