[[Template core/front/global/utilitiesMenu does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
  • Announcements

• Dave Ambrose

Board Status   07/20/2018

Maintenance completed, but there is still more come.
Matt T.

Project - Ryan Blaney's 2018 #12 Menard's Ford

Laid some paint down yesterday. Testors/Pactra Fluorescent Yellow over Tamiya white primer. Three coats. Waiting a week before I clear it. Can anyone confirm that Testors or Tamiya lacquer clear will work over this polycarbonate paint?

2v2JmwHYhx22vCF.jpg

Edited by Matt T.

I agree with Tim, you should test it first.  I do this even when the paint and the clear are from the same company.  A few years ago, I painted a car using Rustoleum 2X paint and a Rustoleum 2X clear.  The clear turned the paint to resemble alligator skin.

I tested Model Master High Gloss Lacquer Clear on the spoon and it went well. So, per the can's instructions, I laid down two wet coats of clear (plus one more) a few minutes apart. Should be plenty to polish to a nice shine. I read on the Pactra Polycarbonate paint can that the paint is resistant to fuel, solvents, etc. So it's tough stuff. Didn't change its hue or shade with the clear over it either. Highly recommend.

2v2JTwKuyx22vCF.jpg

Matt,  from the looks of that front fender, it doesn't look like you need to polish it at all. Looks Awesome.

Thanks Mark. That photo is about 10 mins. after spraying. It has since shrunk enough to lose that wet look. But I've used this clear over the automotive colors before, and it polishes nicely.

3 hours ago, Matt T. said:

Thanks Mark. That photo is about 10 mins. after spraying. It has since shrunk enough to lose that wet look. But I've used this clear over the automotive colors before, and it polishes nicely.

Awesome. Cant wait to see the final result. I'm sure it will be outstanding.

As expected, the Testors clear polished up nicely. I used 3,200 - 12,000 grit cloths, followed by Tamiya Finish Compound. 

Next up, decals ...

ED254F0A-791D-452B-9E91-F4C9858339A0.jpeg

5BC13708-A2CA-4513-9FD3-B0B384833464.jpeg

2B07D12A-5FD0-4C53-A6DC-692D95BFF4D2.jpeg

Edited by Matt T.

Looks great! Can't wait to see the finished product. I picked up a few of the Danica Fusion kits and may have to do this livery next...