Model Cars Magazine Forum

Good morning all hope everyone's well. I have a question in regard to my arch enemy from 40+ years ago. The metal AMT axle. I am in the midst of building a Diamond Reo and am wondering what is the best way to insert the axles in the wheel backing. I have bent more than my fair share of them. I have also tinkered withe the idea of using wire hangers as well. Do I drill the backings out and insert the axles. Thank you.

Jersee Jerry 55

20 minutes ago, JerseeJerry55 said:

Good morning all hope everyone's well. I have a question in regard to my arch enemy from 40+ years ago. The metal AMT axle. I am in the midst of building a Diamond Reo and am wondering what is the best way to insert the axles in the wheel backing. I have bent more than my fair share of them. I have also tinkered withe the idea of using wire hangers as well. Do I drill the backings out and insert the axles. Thank you.

Jersee Jerry 55

I use hangers all the time,I do drill out the backing. Sometimes the hanger wire is a tad bigger.

Insert the kit wire and Mark the depth on the wire then transfer it to the hanger. Now if you can use a scrap sheet to find the rite size bit. I have use a over size bit and end up using white glue is super glue.

Every now and then the kit wire is a short or when using resin rims.

14 minutes ago, JerseeJerry55 said:

Thanks guys. Can a drill with bits be sourced at lets say a place like Harbor Freight Tools? I tried heating a piece of the hanger on an AMT KW K-100 but wasn't satisfied with the result as much as I thought I'd be.

You may, I got a finger drill(What ever there called)from hobby lobby and a set of bits from wall Mart.

When i was younger,about 35 years ago?, i used to heat the end of the metal axle with a match,and when it was still hot i would press it in to the brake drum,it worked pretty good,the heat softened the plastic enough for it to slide in easy,and it would stay and the axle,wouldnt slide off.,dont heat it to red hot,just very warm,after you have it in the rear end,heat the other end the same,be careful not to melt the rear end?. give it a try it really works. Harvey

3 hours ago, 37 caddy said:

When i was younger,about 35 years ago?, i used to heat the end of the metal axle with a match,and when it was still hot i would press it in to the brake drum,it worked pretty good,the heat softened the plastic enough for it to slide in easy,and it would stay and the axle,wouldnt slide off.,dont heat it to red hot,just very warm,after you have it in the rear end,heat the other end the same,be careful not to melt the rear end?. give it a try it really works. Harvey

Thanks Harvey.