Model Cars Magazine Forum

Missing windshield

I bought a model kit of a 1966 Thunderbird from a hobby shop out of town before Christmas, all parts were in the box I was told.  Upon opening the box a week or so ago, I found the clear tree including the headlights and front windshield, side and rear windows were missing. The rear is no problem as I am going to build it as a convertible, but the missing windshield does present a problem. Any one have any ideas on how to fabricate one from common household items etc.?

51EPV6BA1KL.jpg

Edited by Bullitt

You may be able to make one out of clear sheet plastic or clear acrylic sheet from the hobby shop- it is a relatively simple shape with a simple curve compared to some vehicles. Two vent windows can be cut out of the same type of material and glued in separately.

59 minutes ago, gman said:

You may be able to make one out of clear sheet plastic or clear acrylic sheet from the hobby shop- it is a relatively simple shape with a simple curve compared to some vehicles. Two vent windows can be cut out of the same type of material and glued in separately.

That would be my solution.

Most cars from the 60s had pretty simple window shapes without any compound curves.

In most cases, clear thin sheet plastic will look more realistic than kit glass anyway, so it's worth it to pick up some & try it out.

I picked up something called .007 "Clear Lay Film" several years ago at Hobby Lobby & it works great for this and many other applications.

I recently used it for the rear glass & windshield on a '67 Bonneville build.

Steve

2v2JQ8QVTxwUbWP.jpg2v2JbQ1YCxwUbWP.jpg

I second Steve's idea of using clear stencil sheet for windows. I've been doing this for years as to me it flat out looks better than the kit glass, which way too many times is too distorted for my tastes, taking away from what's a very good build.

If you check here and start with picture #80, I did a mini tutorial on how I did the glass on this Turbine Car.

P5281617-vi.jpg
P6011619-vi.jpg

It may seem a bit daunting at first, but after you've tried it a couple times you may be spoiled by the results! ;)

Compound curves were mentioned.........you can do wraparound windshields with this method as I did this on my '58 Chevy convertible, but clear stencil sheet likes to be bent only one way. So as long as the curvature is only one direction, it can be done. Takes some patience though to let the epoxy FULLY set! :D

One easy way of using the clear sheet plastic is to make a template of the window opening, cut the plastic to fit leaving about a quarter of an inch around the perimeter for gluing & then tacking it in place with one of the UV setting glues like "Laser Bond".

You can add one "tack" at a time & set it as you go around the perimeter of the glass until it's seated to your liking.

You should be ale to get a good seat with possibly 6 or 8 tacks

Once it's tacked, in position & secure, you can glue it permanently from the inside of the body all the way around the glass with epoxy.

This will give you a nice secure windshield without the worry of getting glue all over everything as the glass moves & shifts as you try to glue it in.

Use the same method to glue in separate vent windows if needed.

Steve