Model Cars Magazine Forum

On 6/7/2018 at 11:14 AM, MrObsessive said:

1963-Devin-Front.jpg
1963-Devin-Rear.jpg

I don't think there was ever a kit of this car (Devin D), but I'd sure love for there to be! One of the sexier designs of the late '50's/early '60's (I think this is a '60), and you could make it either Porsche or Corvair powered! ;)

The Devin D, while never kitted, could be done as a resin body only and then converted from a VW bug platform chassis, just like the 1:1. A lovely idea.

Ane just as cool, perhaps more so, would be the original big brother to the D, the Devin SS. I would settle for just the body and then scratch the rest, but the 1:1 could be had as a complete car with a very nice bespoke chassis and Corvette power. The chassis, oddly enough, was built for Devin in Ireland, and early example of using cheap but skillful offshore labor.

The Devin SS complete factory car:

devin_ss_01.jpg

devin_ss_01a.jpg

Bill Devin with the Devin SS factory chassis and tri-power Corvette motor:

devin_ss_02.jpg

And the most famous Devin of all  Shouldn't Revell have kitted this one back in the day?:

mb.jpg

While at least a full kit, or just an aftermarket resin body, of the Devin D or perhaps the Moonbeam for an SS is at least somewhere in the realm of possibility, even if just barely, the incredibly aggressively style Kellison coupe is available in the aftermarket - see T.M. Resin Kellison J4 . It's on my "maybe" list for 2018 - I'll probably buy it and then try to figure out a chassis and interior.

s-l1600.jpg

TRaK member ChrisV actually owns three of these sweethearts in 1:1!!!

10154533357326055_1983863212_o-vi.jpg

IMG_0747-vi.jpg

They were a popular drag car body as well as a road car:

4-racing-kellisons1.jpg

The other great, aggressive and outlandish road racer body of the same period as the Devins and Kellison, were the Bocars. Now this I doubt will ever be done in any form, but what a beautiful model it would make.

maxresdefault.jpg

This was another car available with a complete factory chassis. In fact most Bocars were sold that way:

7055418181_3a63e083fd_o.jpeg

There was even a Meister Brauser Bocar (Meister Brauser III) with it's trademark Scarab-style paint job:

b44cf92cd912139d14ea975ac5ca791e076efdbb

And even less likely to be kitted, but perhaps someone would be crazy enough to make a body (????) is the final Bocar, the Stilletto, with its long nose to accommodate a Potvin blower (!!!!).

boCVR.jpg&h=282&w=569&zc=1&q=80

Edited by Bernard Kron

Devins and Bocars show up regularly at the historic races at Road America. I'm fortunate to live in reasonable distance and go to these events when I can. The last event I was able to attend had the Cheetah reunion, those were something to see racing. Going to the vintage motorcycle event tomorrow, could go to events all summer if work and life didn't get in the way.

3 hours ago, Bernard Kron said:

The other great, aggressive and outlandish road racer body of the same period as the Devins and Kellison, were the Bocars. Now this I doubt will ever be done in any form, but what a beautiful model it would make.

This was another car available with a complete factory chassis. In fact most Bocars were sold that way:

There was even a Meister Brauser Bocar (Meister Brauser III) with it's trademark Scarab-style paint job:

And even less likely to be kitted, but perhaps someone would be crazy enough to make a body (????) is the final Bocar, the Stilletto, with its long nose to accommodate a Potvin blower (!!!!).

boCVR.jpg&h=282&w=569&zc=1&q=80

And photographed on the ramp with an F-100! How cool! 

I'm thinking of doing this one as a kit car, of sorts--Palmer '66 "Corvette." It's just wonky enough to look like an obvious fake. 

Palmer66Vette02.jpg.382ba7b67717def9ffc548016f370fb9.jpg

Unlike most of the Palmers, this one is actually somewhere in the general neighborhood of 1/25, at least in overall length. I think I can sort of section it a little, and finagle the contours, and make it look like something someone might have made to drop on a VW chassis. 

Palmer66Vette08.jpg.5a329f290985c8db8471fe722c08fa8b.jpg