Model Cars Magazine Forum

Some tool mods

Hi,

I got a new pressure gauge which is much more accurate then the previous one and I can now spray as low as 5PSI.

The read out is nice and pleasant to read.

I also modded my already fine Tamiya hand drill by adding an extra battery for some more power which gives me greater fine tuning.  I also added a variable speed dial and swapped drill chucks which adds the ability to use super fine bits as well as larger bits.

The drill mods can be undone easily as they are not permanent.

IMG_3259.JPG

IMG_3262.JPG

Edited by aurfalien

• 3 weeks later...

You're gonna like that regulator...you can tweak down by a pound or so of PSI, based on the 0 - 30 range; try doing that with a regulator that goes from 0 - 120 PSI.

I'm not sure about the mods to the drill...how do you hold the darned thing with all those parts on the outside?

Similar thing happened with automotive gauges in the dash. Originally they were all mechanical/electrical movements with dials and pointers. Then the digital craze hit in the early '80s and gauges were replaced by numeric or alphanumeric digital readouts.  But those were difficult to decipher while driving a car. Couldn't just take a quick glance (like you do at a gauge with a dial and pointer). Your brain has to work harder deciphering and making sense of a numeric value. So the digital readouts were supplemented or replaced by digitally-controlled bar-graph displays. Those were easier to read out quickly. But then the automotive designers came around the complete circle, and most cars nowadays have analog-looking gauges (at least for most of the important basic parameters).  Those gauges have dials and pointers like the original old-style gauges, but behind the scenes, they are driven by the on-board computers. They have electric movements, even if they look analog.

Looks like you took the same road: dial/digital-readout/dial. :D  I agree that choosing a  pressure gauge where the full reading is close to the maximum pressure you'll be using increases the accuracy of the readout.