[[Template core/front/global/utilitiesMenu does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
  • Announcements

• Dave Ambrose

Board Status   07/20/2018

Maintenance completed, but there is still more come.
landman

1957 Ford Del Rio wagon - DONE

I have this 1957 Ford with saran wrap damage to the paint from storage. It was on the back burner for a redo. Then I saw this Del Rio body and interior on eBay. The plan was to remove the Fairlane body and replace it with the Del Rio body. I would then cut the back of the Fairlane off and do a trunk couch for the shop diorama.

IMG_7300.jpg

05fc31025a007126b5195a3ff66c06c1.jpg

Turns out the Fairlane's frame is molded to the floorpan while the Del Rio's is separate and I don't have it. Can't use the fairlane floorpan with the Del Rio interior. I have this old Mercury whose frame will do fine. I get to save the Fairlane this way. Now I'd like to find a Meteor body for it. I think it exists. Maybe Flintstone? Anyway, I started removing bits and pieces of floorpan from the Mercury frame in order to make it fit the wagon floorpan.

Oct2120149.jpg

IMG_7301.jpg

IMG_7302.jpg

IMG_7318.jpg

IMG_7319.jpg

Edited by landman

Or.... I could make the couch out of the Merc. However I have only one tailight. If anyone has an extra one.... Meanwhile I'll try casting one.

Mercury%20love%20seat.jpg

Added some side rails to the frame.

IMG_7343.jpg

I found these neat wheels in the parts bin. I think I'll use them with the wide whites.

IMG_7344.jpg

IMG_7346.jpg

And then, I have to pick a color.

IMG_7341.jpg

Seeing I won't be using the Fairlane chassis I was going to do it curbside. But then while rummaging in the engine drawers, I found this 351 from the MPC Mach 1. I assume it is a Cleveland. Anyway, I'll use that one since I already have custom wheels. It'll just give it that extra Ooomph.

b6f65d3c-da1d-4be4-87bd-a7e11087e2f7.jpg

In another drawer, apart from the others, were these 3 Y-Blocks. That may be a better fit.

IMG_7354.jpg

Installed the Merc front suspension. Made it poseable. Looks like everything is in the right place.

IMG_7352.jpg

IMG_7353.jpg

Cast two sets of plain  Y-Block valve covers and one set of Thunderbird ones. Now I have to learn to make a two part mold to do some exhaust manifolds.

IMG_7355.jpg

I would have restored the AMT Vicky. The Revell '57 Ford body can't hold a candle to the AMT.  

Not to mention the top of the line Fairlane 500 Club Victoria is a real treat.

But, if you want a wagon...

30 minutes ago, Lovefordgalaxie said:

I would have restored the AMT Vicky. The Revell '57 Ford body can't hold a candle to the AMT.  

Not to mention the top of the line Fairlane 500 Club Victoria is a real treat.

But, if you want a wagon...

Tulio, if you are talking about the one in the first photo, I may just do that someday. I may even send it to you for a paint job.   :P

44 minutes ago, landman said:

Tulio, if you are talking about the one in the first photo, I may just do that someday. I may even send it to you for a paint job.   :P

Yeah, that Fairlane is a beauty. I wouldn't have the guts to take it apart. That ones deserves a resto on the paint damage.

On 6/14/2018 at 12:19 PM, Lovefordgalaxie said:

Yeah, that Fairlane is a beauty. I wouldn't have the guts to take it apart. That ones deserves a resto on the paint damage.

I could send only the body to save you some stress.

My first two part mold. I'll try it tomorrow, we'll see. The Part A of the rubber mix had turned to gel, but there was some real gooey stuff in the center that I used. I mustn't have closed it properly. I wonder if I could purchase a pot by itself. the other one is good and almost full.

IMG_7363.jpg

Took the show outside as it is a beautiful evening and masked off the dark color areas and sprayed the ivory.

IMG_7364.jpg

IMG_7365.jpg

Edited by landman

Gathering parts from the bins. Starting to make a firewall using the Merc's as a starting point.

IMG_7367.jpg

IMG_7369.jpg

Laid some carpet.

IMG_7366.jpg

IMG_7368.jpg

1 hour ago, Geno said:

It's lookin' pretty sweet Pat.

Thank you Gene.

You're welcome Pat, I love '57 Fords and you're rockin' this one. I can't wait to see it when it's done. Please restore the hartdtop, it deserves it LOL.B):wub:

Edited by Geno

Cast some exhaust manifolds. Less than ideal but useable with a bit of work.

IMG_7371.jpg

Work continues on the firewall. 

IMG_7375.jpg

IMG_7380.jpg

IMG_7373.jpg

Made a rear motor support.

IMG_7379.jpg

Modified the air cleaner inlet to look like what I see on the web. Made some pulleys.

IMG_7377.jpg

IMG_7378.jpg

IMG_7376.jpg

Fabricated a heater and a wiper motor to add visual interest to the firewall. Found a master cylinder in the stash. I wonder what is going on here. wasn't this supposed to be a curbside quickie? :P

IMG_7381.jpg

Technical question. Does one apply the clear before or after the BMF? Or does it matter?

I decided to apply the foil before the clear.

IMG_7394.jpg

Some work on the interior panels and the engine.

IMG_7386.jpg

IMG_7392.jpg

IMG_7393.jpg

Added the gold "anodizing" to the trim and clearcoated the body.

IMG_7396.jpg

IMG_7398.jpg

Assembled the interior.

IMG_7397.jpg

Began wiring of the engine.

IMG_7399.jpg

The engine is done. Now, I am trying to make all this fit together.

IMG_7400.jpg

IMG_7401.jpg

IMG_7402.jpg

IMG_7403.jpg

IMG_7405.jpg

Made up an exhaust system using part of the Mercury's along with some solder. Unfortunately I didn't have anything of the same size as the tailpipe. There could be some back pressure. ;)

IMG_7433.jpg

Mounted the body to the chassis. It needed a bit of persuasion. After it was done, I realized I had forgotten to insert the hood. Hopefully I'll be able to squeeze it in there somehow.

IMG_7434.jpg