Model Cars Magazine Forum

Status of Revell's '69 Boss 302?

I haven't been following the situation at Revell USA all that closely - IIRC, they're now defunct and Revell of Germany has control of everything.  

Assuming that's remotely correct, does anyone have any info on when we'll see the '69 Boss 302 with the corrected front end?  

All projects that were announced that didn't make it into production before the Hobbico bankruptcy are in limbo. No announcement on any forthcoming product has been made by the former Revell USA's new ownership. 

Since we were told that this Mustang was close before the Hobbico bankruptcy, it's one of those projects that the new owners would be silly to scrap. If it was truly as close as we were told, it's a guaranteed revenue source from their newly purchased company, along with the similarly rumored "close to production" 29 Model A roadster. These two kits together would be a great way to reintroduce the brand and build goodwill towards the new ownership. But, right now it's a wait and see since there is no announcement. 

Edited by Mr. Metallic

7 minutes ago, Mr. Metallic said:

"close to production" 29 Model A roadster

This would have been a straight reissue, nothing to repair, finish, fiddle with, just shoot some styrene.:D

Unless you were speaking of the coupe ?

download (1).jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Edited by Greg Myers

34 minutes ago, Greg Myers said:

This would have been a straight reissue, nothing to repair, finish, fiddle with, just shoot some styrene.:D

My understanding is that both tools were rendered out of commission by whatever happened because they share tooling. 

And i am referring to the roadster, because that was the one we were getting first with box art depicting the SBC in the roadster instead of the Buick Nailhead.

10 hours ago, Mr. Metallic said:

All projects that were announced that didn't make it into production before the Hobbico bankruptcy are in limbo. No announcement on any forthcoming product has been made by Revell USA's new ownership. 

Since we were told that this Mustang was close before the Hobbico bankruptcy, it's one of those projects that the new owners would be silly to scrap. If it was truly as close as we were told, it's a guaranteed revenue source from their newly purchased company, along with the similarly rumored "close to production" 29 Model A roadster. These two kits together would be a great way to reintroduce the brand and build goodwill towards the new ownership. But, right now it's a wait and see since there is no announcement. 

Remember, there is no more Revell USA, its Just Revell now, the old distinction of Revell US/Revell AG is gone , and everything is coming from Germany now.

13 minutes ago, martinfan5 said:

Remember, there is no more Revell USA, its Just Revell now, the old distinction of Revell US/Revell AG is gone , and everything is coming from Germany now.

I wonder if they will change the name from Mustang to T5. :-)

13 hours ago, martinfan5 said:

I changed it to read "former"

But I contend, we still don't know anything about where the actual production and distribution of kits will happen for the US market. To my knowledge, no formal announcement has been made. Yes, they may have closed the Revell US offices, but maybe they plan on establishing a new US headquarters? Again, no formal announcement has been made(to my knowledge)

The way I perceive it is the status of anything previously announced but not yet released by the former Revell USA is unknown at this time, I assume the new Revell entity will make announcements at some point in the future regarding US market releases.    

Important to remember the current Revell (or RevellAG if you prefer) already had a company to run prior to the bankruptcy and the entire court break up affected them the least since they just got a change to where their checks are coming from...their responsibility first and foremost is to get all their own stuff to market - like those two big scale Porsche 356s - before really worrying about the extra work their new "bosses" bought for them. 

On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 10:44 AM, Greg Myers said:

download (1).jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Greg, the plan was to make the second release of the roadster kit incorporate the SBC Chevy powertrain instead of the Nailhead Buick, followed by the Coupe kit with the Nailhead Buick.  The original tool was designed to allow both of these configurations....TIM  

IMG_2504.JPG

Well, if all else fails I can always resort to fixing that terrible front end! I've given up on D-Mold ever producing their corrected front end again as each time I go to their site it's "out of stock".

It would take some work, but it can be done. ;)

I just hate the fact that Revell USA is gone...they were my favorite manufacturer...almost my entire stash is Revell. I did however snag 3 each of the 29/30 coupe & roadsters...what, everything cool in America disappearing??!! 

57 minutes ago, Sixx said:

I just hate the fact that Revell USA is gone...they were my favorite manufacturer...almost my entire stash is Revell. I did however snag 3 each of the 29/30 coupe & roadsters...what, everything cool in America disappearing??!! 

Your last point is so true.  So few kids these days could care less about models or old cars.  As long as we can click a mouse and turn a key we see what the other old guy are up to and truly enjoy the sights and sounds of old cars.