Model Cars Magazine Forum

Old Hobby Shop Photos

At the height of the hot rod / car model craze of the early 60s it seemed you could find car model kits for sale everywhere...not just hobby shops but five and dimes, grocery stores. Stocking shelves with car kits was like printing money. I also recall vending machines that sold trading cards with pictures of famous show rods...

Edited by styromaniac

Those photos bring back lots of nostalgic memories. Life was much simpler back then . . .

No social media, no cyber-bullying, you ate dinner with the family in the dining room, and watched TV together. Time seemed to pass much slower than it does in today's hectic world.  :)

GREAT thread ,so keep the pictures ( of all kinds) coming.

I  can SO remember walking down isles like these , pondering exactly which one I was going to spend my allowance on that particular day  .

Bought my very model kit at Sids Drug store in Elsmere Ky . If I remember right , kit, glue and a bottle of paint was less than $2

I'm guessing I was less than 10 at the time, so that would have been about 1968 or 69 . My how times have changed . And I so miss days like that

Looking at these pics, Makes me wonder if ANYONE in these pics is  A - alive. B- still doing models of any kind, and C - a member of this very board

Also , for a little side fun .  how many can date these pictures ?

last one I'm guessing is 1965 , maybe early 1966 ( 65 barracuda kit on the table )

Edited by gtx6970

I bought my first model at Earl's 5 & 10. It must have been an annual kit with all the customizing options, fender skirts,chrome pieces for hood,fenders,multiple antenna, luggage rack and many more.it was on NE 2nd ave and 51 ST Miami. along with Sable Palm Drug Store on 54 ST,my 2 places to get models and Comics for 12 cents.

13 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Excuse me if these pics don't meet the criteria of the thread, but I thought that anything vintage involving model cars is pretty cool.

I appreciated these old adds.

image.png.d67d7cb45dcbedb4264493a8bc26bf75.pngimage.png.90486df4a24434ad7b39dabfb0836fdc.png

And here's a camp activity that you will likely never see again.

image.png.767821dcd030127d1cdc5a3e1b228b6f.png

Love the ads, but the camp pic.... so true on something we will never see again being we a bit older we will not see it, but for young kids now, you have to ask yourselves why. To bad video games they play are so enjoyable but they give you nothing! That is one part of family values that has turned into garbage.

I wish I could find pics of a hubby store myvdad took me to when I was a kid in the '70s. It was called Hobby Hub, somewhere in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. The memories are kind of vague, but it was a fascinating place for a kid who lived on a farm. No cable TV, internet. Only 3 or 4 channels of TV at all. Models were a great hobby.