Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Gen 6 chassis color

Turberticus

I've decided to tackle one of the newer Revell NASCAR kits, specifically the Ford Fusion Danica kit. The instructions indicate the chassis should be flat white while other builds and reference photos show it as a light gray. Is there a Tamiya equivalent that I could use? I have quite a lot of Tamiya grays including Sky Gray, which I think might be a close match, but I'd like to hear your opinions and advice. Thanks!

I use SEM Promax Chassis Grey, it was at one time what the teams used, maybe some still do, I dont know, but you need a very light gray as Bruce said.

14 minutes ago, bbowser said:

I've used Testors Gloss Gull Gray in the past, seems pretty close.  One reason I've heard for light colored interiors is they stay a little cooler and it's easier to see fluid leaks.

NASCAR actually mandates the chassis be of light color for safety, they say its easier to spot cracks in the welds and other areas with the lighter colors.

Tamiya makes a spray can for WWII aircraft called “Insignia White”.  

It’s very, very light gray. I’ve seen that suggested as a hobby alternative for the modern NASCAR chassis.

AS-20 is the Tamiya number. 

Thanks for the feedback! I ended up using what I had on hand. I mixed Tamiya X2 white with XF-19 sky grey at roughly a 4:1 ratio. This is my first NASCAR build and it may not be 100% accurate, but the end result is a very light grey. 

Edited by Turberticus