Model Cars Magazine Forum

Man if I just had $12,000!

You all know how much I love vintage Ferraris and a lot of the uncommon stuff that simply isn't seen on the roads anymore. I've been watching this auction for awhile, and at first glance I could have SWORN this was an actual car! Of course reading the description, it clearly is a kit and a mighty expensive one at that! At the price they're asking for it, I've seen not any takers and I've been watching this for a bit.

Needless to say, at a ¼ scale, I'd have no idea where to put this in my house! It would literally need its own room, and of course something to support the weight as it's gotta be one heavy sucker when done.

Some of you may have seen this, but if not you can check it out here. ;)

Edited by MrObsessive

I personally can't imagine spending that much time, effort & money on something just for "looking at"!

After watching some recent Mecum & Barrett Jackson auctions, it's evident to me that you could buy a pretty nice "real" car for that sort of money.

Granted, it won't be a Ferrari, but then again, who really wants a car like this that you can't drive without being in complete fear the whole time anyway?

As far as I'm concerned, a 1:1 vintage Ferrari is just another item that's only good for "looking at".

Steve

As far as I'm concerned, a 1:1 vintage Ferrari is just another item that's only good for "looking at".

Steve

Although that may be the norm with Ferrari owners. I know of a couple BIG MONEY cars that get flogged fairly regularly  . One ladyy I know of has an early 30s Alfa Romeo, she runs the day lights out of

Her thought is anything can be fixed, and she can afford to do pretty much anything she wants , when she wants .

Cool, Not for me, but still pretty cool. And I for one don't care for the Testarossa . I much prefer the GTO

Edited by gtx6970

8 minutes ago, gtx6970 said:

Steve

Although that may be the norm with Ferrari owners. I know of a couple BIG MONEY cars that get flogged fairly regularly  . One ladyy I know of has an early 30s Alfa Romeo, she runs the day lights out of

Her thought is anything can be fixed, and she can afford to do pretty much anything she wants , when she wants .

Cool, Not for me, but still pretty cool. And I for one don't care for the Testarossa . I much prefer the GTO

There are exceptions to every rule, but in general, I doubt that there are more than a handful of these old Ferrari's that ever see anything more in the department of travel, than the inside of a trailer.

Steve

16 minutes ago, JollySipper said:

Is there a kit of this car in 1/25?  I had a small diecast as a kid (it may have been MatchBox) and have liked them since...........

Yup sure is!.....Hasegawa. I have the kit along with PE wheels and parts, just for whatever reason haven't gotten the urge to build it yet. One day the "bug" will strike me, and I'll be busy building it!

I see some on the bay for quite a steep price.... Why are they so expensive? Do they come with the photo-etch wheels in the kit? or are they just OOP?

Would love to get one eventually, guess I should wait until I can find one for a reasonable price.............

Latest excuse to feel old?  It's been TEN YEARS now since that Hase 250TR debuted.  Might just be outta production indeed.

As for the quarter-scale, I bet the printing resolution issues get shrunk a bit in comparison with the hugeness of the model.  Ain't got no 12k for a model kit, but I gotta admire something pushes the envelope like this.

Edited by Chuck Kourouklis

Chuck has it been 10 YEARS?? Hard to believe I've had the kit that long! And yes, enthusiasm for it is still on high tilt..........it's the reason you're still seeing aftermarket goodies for them.

Who knows, Hasegawa might surprise us and reissue that one again. If or when they do, I'd scarf one up IMMEDIATELY, as they'll disappear faster than a $100 bill on a New York street! ;)

On 6/9/2018 at 9:15 PM, JollySipper said:

I see some on the bay for quite a steep price.... Why are they so expensive? Do they come with the photo-etch wheels in the kit? or are they just OOP?

Would love to get one eventually, guess I should wait until I can find one for a reasonable price.............

They don't come with the PE set for wheels.............I got mine aftermarket through KH photoetch (I think that's the name of them). IIRC, that kit was offered pretty much as a one time run for each version, so that drives the price up as it is. I could be wrong on that, but I've not seen that kit reissued since it debuted in the late '00's. (still hard to believe!)

On 7-6-2018 at 12:37 AM, MrObsessive said:

You all know how much I love vintage Ferraris and a lot of the uncommon stuff that simply isn't seen on the roads anymore. I've been watching this auction for awhile, and at first glance I could have SWORN this was an actual car! Of course reading the description, it clearly is a kit and a mighty expensive one at that! At the price they're asking for it, I've seen not any takers and I've been watching this for a bit.

Needless to say, at a ¼ scale, I'd have no idea where to put this in my house! It would literally need its own room, and of course something to support the weight as it's gotta be one heavy sucker when done.

Some of you may have seen this, but if not you can check it out here. ;)

What are the odds..... I just bought 3 1/8 Monogram kits from this guy and picked them up last friday. I went to his shop and he had a 1/4 La Ferrari there and a lot of Pochers. Very interesting stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

Wait,this is beyond ridiculous.He has this model listed for over $22K,for a 1/4 scale toy..Come on,what planet is this guy from?The guy is either mad (cRaZy),or it's a misprint...https://m.ebay.com/itm/Ferrari-LaFerrari-ProtoType-Scale-1-4-Big-Scale-Cars-quarter-scale/273151534515?hash=item3f9919a5b3:g:cv8AAOSw8D1azJVH

Edited by NYLIBUD

Well with that needing finishing touches "here and there" the asking price is a bit much. However, there are some very well heeled Ferrari folks that may just want that model IF they indeed own the actual thing. I don't think that's a misprint-----look at the shipping charges! :o

I believe that seller has posted models here in fact.......very good builder he is!

I'd not pay that much as that car is not my cup of tea (styling is too busy) but if it were a ¼ scale 1961 Ferrari 250 GT SWB California Spider..........that ran?? Hmmmm.......I think I'd break the bank for that one especially if the actual thing is sitting in my garage! ;)

Edited by MrObsessive

5 minutes ago, SfanGoch said:

Hah! 800 bucks for shipping on top of the 22 grand! For $7752.77, you can be the proud owner of a 1/6 scale, 250 lb. Tiger I. Think of the countless hours of fun you'll experience crushing those mamby-pamby exotic models under your treads.

IMG_2171.jpg

All that and they mounted the muzzle break sideways...….