Model Cars Magazine Forum

paint for airbrush

I just started using ScaleFinishes, and it's great!  He'll mix any colour that you need.  

I understand that Zero Paints and Gravity are also very good.  All three brands are quite similiar, in that they are a basecoat lacquer and need a clear over them.

On 6/6/2018 at 9:18 PM, floydtn said:

Can someone recommend   brands of paint to airbrush model cars body. Sumthing other than testors or tamyia. Im looking for pearls. thanks for any info

You can get House of Kolors paints from Amazon or eBay. Be sure to use an appropriate primer with them.

Some of the "cheaper" acrylic craft paints have started making some metallic colors.  I have not used them yet, but I do have some of their colors in my stash.  Another option on the same line is they also offer a pearl base color which can be mixed with other colors to make them pearl.  These paints can be thinned with alcohol or Windex and airbrush quite well.  Their color array is almost limitless, because they can be mixed to make any color you desire.  Using them in an airbrush does require a bit of a learning curve but nothing extreme.  The biggest issue being their very thin coverage, it takes quite a few coats to build up the color.  However they are thin coats and do not obliterate detail.  Hope this helps.