Model Cars Magazine Forum

Poor quality BMF

23 minutes ago, gtx6970 said:

I built a few thunderbolts going on close to 2 years ago. One of them all the trim is the pen. On a 2nd one only part of the trim is the pen. Problem is I cant remember which one is which. and All are packed up at the moment and will be for the foreseeable  immediate  future . When I boxed them up a few weeks back, all still looked great 

Yes they do look great!

2 minutes ago, jchrisf said:

Yes they do look great!

Thanks, If by chance I get the opportunity to get them unboxed for display. I'll ck to see which one is BMF and which is the pen and maybe do a comparison side by side

I will say even after several  months you have to be aware of how you handle them. the chrome done via the pen will still leave a fingerprint in it. Now,,,,Nothing like as if done only a few days earlier ( made that mistake as well ) and although its  extremely faint I could see it up close . And easy fix was go back over it with the pen .

Now over a year into it, I dont remember any smudge issues when handling . None of them were cleared over chrome.

Edited by gtx6970

31 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

Nice set!  I guess you must know this kit pretty darn well by now!

Thank, I guess so. I know I no longer use the instructions. Although I rarely use the instructions much on any  kit anyway. Advantage of being a mechanic  I guess. I know cars pretty well and know the difference between a master cyl and wiper motor.

This is probably one of my top  2 or 3 favorite kits to build. And I think Revell really nailed it when 1st produced  ( other than the tires )

I do  have decals to do maybe another 4 or 5 more . But don't think I have enough kits on hand.

I can say for 100% certainty the wheels on this one is nothing but the pen. Simply pushed it down to really let the ink flow into the smallest crevices and they look killer. REALLY close to rims on a kit chrome tree . Again, no clear top coat

20170227_184429.thumb.jpg.09dfd09d612cefee69e7db4c95cdd96a.jpg

Edited by gtx6970

5 hours ago, gtx6970 said:

Thank, I guess so. I know I no longer use the instructions. Although I rarely use the instructions much on any  kit anyway. Advantage of being a mechanic  I guess. I know cars pretty well and know the difference between a master cyl and wiper motor.

This is probably one of my top  2 or 3 favorite kits to build. And I think Revell really nailed it when 1st produced  ( other than the tires )

I do  have decals to do maybe another 4 or 5 more . But don't think I have enough kits on hand.

I can say for 100% certainty the wheels on this one is nothing but the pen. Simply pushed it down to really let the ink flow into the smallest crevices and they look killer. REALLY close to rims on a kit chrome tree . Again, no clear top coat

They do look good.

I just really worry about long term.

Especially when dealing with vintage kits.

I really have no desire to redo any of them a few years down the road.

I have far too many other ones to do. :)

Keep us posted on how well they hold up.

Steve

7 hours ago, gtx6970 said:

I just "rescued" a glue bomb GTO on which someone had put black paint sloppily on the spokes of Cragar wheels. I was able to take the black off with rubbing alcohol and a toothbrush, but it also took a good deal of the chrome off the spokes. I rechromed them with a Molotow and if I didn't tell you, you'd never know. I've seen kit chrome that didn't look as good.