Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hobby Lobby/ Michaels ?

They just opened up a Hobby Lobby in my area. As far as Model car kits they have about the same as Michaels. They do  have other models that Michaels doesn't carry but carry a lot of the other art stuff that Michaels carries. With their similarities in store stock and coupons available I thought maybe they were both connected in ownership in some way.v Your thoughts ?

If you ask me,AC Moore,Hobby Lobby,and Michaels,are basically the same stores.Why we need three different "craft" stores,selling virtually the same merchandise,is beyond me.Actually they  just opened,probably the first Hobby Lobby on LI about six months ago.Ok that's good,more jobs for more people.But there is a Michaels on the other side of the parking lot.Why???I know,free market competition..whatever.I will add however,that I think Hobby Lobby carries a bigger selection of models,and supplies,than the other two stores.Just my opinion..

Edited by NYLIBUD

I've got 3 Hobby Lobby stores in my area. They all carry a much larger selection of plastic kits than Michael's. Their art supply selection is also much better than Michael's with better quality (brand name) products than the cut rate house brand Micheal's offers. 

I still support my LHS and local art store but they're handy in a pinch.

We actually have a pretty decent HT USA in my area, however as much as I'd like to support local business I can't justify the retail plus 10-20% they charge across the board for most of the products. My LHS prices their stuff competitively but does not carry R/C. That leaves me in kind of a bind since the demise of Tower Hobbies. I don't race, just tear up my driveway so not a huge deal.

No connection between Michael's and Hobby Lobby that I could find. They're fierce competitors.  No comparison in my area when it comes to model kits. Hobby Lobby probably has 5 times the number of kits that Michael's carries.

The same town near me that has both stores also used to have a HobbyTown.  It closed down long ago, which I hated.  That was a great store, with a big selection of cars, armor, aircraft and other plastic kits.  It also sponsored model contests, just like hobby shops did in the good old days.

My club gets a 10% discount at HB. My club also puts on seminars at both HT and HL. Hobby towns main concern is RC and model cars are an after though so they carry minimal amounts of anything. You can order what you need but it may be awhile before it comes in.  

3 hours ago, martinfan5 said:

Out here our Hobby Lobby's blow away the Michael's when it comes to what they stock model wise,  Michaels out here, at least all the ones in my area are a complete a joke.

I couldn't agree more Jonathan. Hobby Lobby's selection is much better in my opinion. there are a few differences in what kits they carry.

8 hours ago, NYLIBUD said:

Support LHS,Not chain stores....:P

Would if I could but I can't so I don't.

Sadly, Hobby Lobby and Michaels are the only ones around. There is a LHS about 30 minutes away, but is mainly focused on R/C that finding anything there that is model related and priced reasonably is very difficult. There is a Hobbytown USA about an hour away but same situation- MSRP + on everything.

AC Moore has fewest kits and highest prices--full metal retail or worse (but they sometimes have 50 or 55% off coupons). Michaels has slightly better kit selection but best selection of non-kit craftish accessories which are occasionally useful. HL has best selection of model kits but it's still poor compared to even a halfway decently stocked LHS, which I don't have access to anymore. HL also has best selection of Testor paints and model building tools/accessories, though again, not as good as a real LHS.

I worked for Michaels for ten years, until I retired in 2012. It was a privately owned company for around six of those years, and was then bought be an investment company. If I remember right the company was Bain and Blackstone. This company didn't want to put money into Michaels, only take what they they wanted out of it. I took care of the batteried for all the equipment, and after eight years the fork lift batteries were only running for two hours before going dead. They finally bought new batteries after nine years when I didn't have a charged battery to swap for a dead one and the fork lifts sat dead instead of running.

The Michaels in the next town is almost useless. For three months the didn't have a tube of glue on flat black brush paint. I only go there if I'm desperate.

20 hours ago, Jon Haigwood said:

They just opened up a Hobby Lobby in my area. As far as Model car kits they have about the same as Michaels. They do  have other models that Michaels doesn't carry but carry a lot of the other art stuff that Michaels carries. With their similarities in store stock and coupons available I thought maybe they were both connected in ownership in some way.v Your thoughts ?

The Hobby Lobby in Eugene has at least 3 times the selection of model kits that our Michaels in Medford has. Medford is getting a Hobby Lobby and I cant wait for it to open.  They also have way cool automotive home decor that Michaels does not carry.

In my town, HL far outshines Michaels in kit selection. Went to Michaels the other day to look foe paint and the model section was almost non existent. Have a HL about ten miles away and another about twenty miles away in the other direction. Go there regularly as we go to other places in the area.

I will say that with the 40% coupon a kit can be a lot less than my LHS. BUT, I do like to support local stores as I work at a old school brick and mortar camera shop. And my LHS does have a greater selection of kits and supplies. 

3 hours ago, jchrisf said:

I see people posting that they got modeling supplies at Hobby Lobby on clearance.  I've never seen any on clearance.  Where do they put modeling clearance items?

You have to search the entire store!  Sometimes they just put tags on kits mixed in on the same shelves. One store had a middle of aisle kiosk right near the kit aisle. Another time a kiosk was up near the registers.  And another one had kits mixed in with other clearance items in an obscure back corner

21 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

You have to search the entire store!  Sometimes they just put tags on kits mixed in on the same shelves. One store had a middle of aisle kiosk right near the kit aisle. Another time a kiosk was up near the registers.  And another one had kits mixed in with other clearance items in an obscure back corner

And check the clearance section, which I think isnt always in the same spot in each store, I know the two that I go to,  the clearance section is in different spots, but yes, like Tom said, you have to search.

Edited by martinfan5