Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hobby Lobby/ Michaels ?

12 hours ago, martinfan5 said:

And check the clearance section, which I think isnt always in the same spot in each store, I know the two that I go to,  the clearance section is in different spots, but yes, like Tom said, you have to search.

12 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

You have to search the entire store!  Sometimes they just put tags on kits mixed in on the same shelves. One store had a middle of aisle kiosk right near the kit aisle. Another time a kiosk was up near the registers.  And another one had kits mixed in with other clearance items in an obscure back corner

Thanks guys... I'll have to search the whole store or ask someone from the department the next time.  I have found the clearance section in a corner at the very back of the store but never saw any modeling stuff.

57 minutes ago, jchrisf said:

Thanks guys... I'll have to search the whole store or ask someone from the department the next time.  I have found the clearance section in a corner at the very back of the store but never saw any modeling stuff.

I always check the clearance section. Rarely any models but I have found kits and paint on occasion. Just takes a minute and doesn't hurt to check.

2 minutes ago, Renegade said:

I always check the clearance section. Rarely any models but I have found kits and paint on occasion. Just takes a minute and doesn't hurt to check.

Same here. I've found those expensive Tamiya Weathering Powders marked way down in the Clearance section.  Also Vallejo acrylic model paints, fine markers and other useful stuff. So I always look for more than kit boxes.

I now have 4 HL's in driving distance, one right next door.  In two of those stores, the regular Clearance section is at the far left side of the store as you walk in, way in the back corner.  In the other 2, it's on the opposite side, still way in the back.  But as others have said, kits may or may not be in that Clearance section. Sometimes they are marked down and left in the kit aisle. Other times they're on a stand-alone island, usually near the kits but not always. 

and it's actually odd to me that the clearance section is random, probably left up to the store management.   Hobby Lobby is more organized than that!  All our local stores were built in the past few years to a standard template.  I find that they are built exact down to the same item is on the same hook store to store! 

3 hours ago, jchrisf said:

I'll have to search the whole store or ask someone from the department the next time

The worst thing you can do is ask an employee for information. Just because they happen to work there doesn't mean that they actually know anything.

I disagree, when those chrome pens first came out, I couldn't find them anywhere.

I ask an employee and he took me right to them.

course, I'm past 70 and was doin' good just to find my way to the back of the store.

I do know where the rest rooms are.:lol:

3 hours ago, Greg Myers said:

I disagree, when those chrome pens first came out, I couldn't find them anywhere.

I ask an employee and he took me right to them.

course, I'm past 70 and was doin' good just to find my way to the back of the store.

I do know where the rest rooms are.:lol:

X2. I couldn't find them either. A employee took me right to them.

6 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

The worst thing you can do is ask an employee for information. Just because they happen to work there doesn't mean that they actually know anything.

Being Honest, Hobby Lobby employees are actually pretty decent when it comes to helping customers, I have never had an encounter with one in which they couldnt help me.   Not speaking for the entire chain, but for my area, your mileage is gonna very.

There are no locally owned hobby shops around here. Hobby Town is nearby but the franchise owner only likes radio controlled cars. He once told me that if he could get rid of the "plastic and glue stuff" he would. I would like to support them since they started in Lincoln NE but the local franchise makes it a hostile environment for me.

Hobby Lobby is another mile away and has a good supply of model cars.  Their 40% off coupon makes going there a no brainer. I have gotten to know the person who "runs" their hobby section.  About every 6 months they move stuff to clearance in all their hobby departments. At her store the clearance items go in a display between the main aisles. I am told their new policy is to discount at least 60% to turn over inventory. 

I agree with Greg and Classic, I asked a random employee about the "chrome pens" and he took me straight to the pens. 

1 hour ago, oldcarfan said:

Michael's will match Hobby Lobby coupons but Hobby Lobby won't take Michael's coupons. Really, the only reason to shop at either is for the coupon discount.

Considering that the 40 percent coupon is perpetually on both store’s website it really doesn’t matter

5 hours ago, tachyonbb said:

There are no locally owned hobby shops around here. Hobby Town is nearby but the franchise owner only likes radio controlled cars. He once told me that if he could get rid of the "plastic and glue stuff" he would. I would like to support them since they started in Lincoln NE but the local franchise makes it a hostile environment for me. 

I agree that 'customer service' is not part of the franchise training at Hobby Town.  The last time I was in the local store, I was looking for 'another modeling magazine' and asked for it when I went to check out with other items.  The young guy behind the counter said 'it's over there....somewhere'.  I said I was unable to find it.  He had no interest in going over to check (I was the only customer in the store and there was another employee) so he missed that sale and I haven't gone out of my way to go back.  A couple years ago (when I traveled for business) I stopped in a KY store and the clerk was either board or as a fat, middle aged guy I was they stereo-typical thief as he followed me around the entire store.  Needless to say I didn't make a purchase being stalked.

49 minutes ago, HomerS said:

I agree that 'customer service' is not part of the franchise training at Hobby Town.  The last time I was in the local store, I was looking for 'another modeling magazine' and asked for it when I went to check out with other items.  The young guy behind the counter said 'it's over there....somewhere'.  I said I was unable to find it.  He had no interest in going over to check (I was the only customer in the store and there was another employee) so he missed that sale and I haven't gone out of my way to go back.  A couple years ago (when I traveled for business) I stopped in a KY store and the clerk was either board or as a fat, middle aged guy I was they stereo-typical thief as he followed me around the entire store.  Needless to say I didn't make a purchase being stalked.

Jeff, this seems to be the business model of every Virginia Hobbytown . It's really sad too because now , they're the closest game in town for most metropolitan areas .

4 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Don't know when this started, but the staff at HL now offers me the 40% coupon back to use again after I make a purchase. The coupons I have now are also good until June 30, rather than week-to-week.

Probably because the online coupon that you can bring up for them to scan on your smart phone can't be "taken away", there's really no point in keeping the printed ones anymore. 

Actually the last time I was in our new HL I showed the cashier my phone and she didn't even scan it, just hit a couple of keys on the register and it took the 40% off.

I was at HL one day checking out and the lady in front of me was trying to bring up the coupon from the website.  She was taking forever and the cashier and I were looking at each other frustrated.  Finally the cashier noticed that I had my phone out and said can I scan your coupon for her... you can both use it.  And we did :)  I've been in HL two days in a row and used the same coupon.

1 hour ago, jchrisf said:

I've been in HL two days in a row and used the same coupon.

You can use it once a day all week. I'm pretty sure you could use more than one printed coupon a day if you could get a different cashier. Might work with the phone coupon too. Of course I generally pay cash so I don't know if the computer ties your coupon use to your credit card and would lock you out for 24 hours, or something like that. 

4 hours ago, Snake45 said:

You can use it once a day all week. I'm pretty sure you could use more than one printed coupon a day if you could get a different cashier. Might work with the phone coupon too. Of course I generally pay cash so I don't know if the computer ties your coupon use to your credit card and would lock you out for 24 hours, or something like that. 

I use the phone coupon.  You can literally check out and get back on line and use it again.  Cashiers really don't care.

I was in HL one day. I checked out and got to my car and remembered something I forgot to  buy.  I went back in store and used the coupon again.  

A chuckle I shared with my club yesterday.  When HL is busy they never have enough cashiers open, resulting in long lines.  If I'm standing in a line, I chat and make sure everyone in that line knows about the 40% off coupon.  You'd be surprised how many people don't and are grateful.   And I figure I cost them more than having a second cashier open!  

I live in Brighton Colorado and our HL just opened in the last 2 weeks which I am stoked about since our Michael's wasn't very well stocked on kits but worked to get thinners, paints, ETC and I would frequent a LHS if there were any close but the closest is about an hour away and its a Hobby Town and like mentioned before they are about RC's and not real helpful with kits. 

35 minutes ago, Buffs Fan said:

I live in Brighton Colorado and our HL just opened in the last 2 weeks which I am stoked about since our Michael's wasn't very well stocked on kits but worked to get thinners, paints, ETC and I would frequent a LHS if there were any close but the closest is about an hour away and its a Hobby Town and like mentioned before they are about RC's and not real helpful with kits. 

That new HL that opened up by Cabela's is pretty nice. Your right about Hobby Town, the one closest to me is 6 miles away in heavy traffic etc. Not a great store for model car enthusiast to say the least. Like you stated they are into RC big time!  Their supply for things we need, like paint,tools etc...terrible at best!    
I also have abused the discount at HL. I found that they will even use it off your phone...easy peasy!

1 minute ago, cobramike said:

That new HL that opened up by Cabela's is pretty nice. Your right about Hobby Town, the one closest to me is 6 miles away in heavy traffic etc. Not a great store for model car enthusiast to say the least. Like you stated they are into RC big time!  Their supply for things we need, like paint,tools etc...terrible at best!    
I also have abused the discount at HL. I found that they will even use it off your phone...easy peasy!

Yes it is. The HL by Cabelas was my go to spot until this new one opened. I dont mind he Hobby Town in Longmont but that one in Westy I will avoid like the flu Colpar's Hobby Town is nice but only if you feel like sitting in traffic for 90min one way Have you been to the Hobby Hut in Grand Jct? 

On 6/10/2018 at 7:41 AM, niteowl7710 said:

Probably because the online coupon that you can bring up for them to scan on your smart phone can't be "taken away", there's really no point in keeping the printed ones anymore. 

Actually the last time I was in our new HL I showed the cashier my phone and she didn't even scan it, just hit a couple of keys on the register and it took the 40% off.

Yep, Been several times I've  just had to mention I had the coupon. Cashier deducted it with a key stroke

2 hours ago, Buffs Fan said:

Yes it is. The HL by Cabelas was my go to spot until this new one opened. I dont mind he Hobby Town in Longmont but that one in Westy I will avoid like the flu Colpar's Hobby Town is nice but only if you feel like sitting in traffic for 90min one way Have you been to the Hobby Hut in Grand Jct? 

Too bad that we are so freaking far from Colpar, like you said...sitting in traffic just to pay high prices sucks.  But they are a great store.  Have you been to the new "Caboose hobby store" in Lakewood?  Lordy be, that place makes me...well you get the picture, or maybe better if you didn't!
Were is the new HL located Mike? 
Never been to hobby hut, don't get over to Junction much till the peaches come in.