Model Cars Magazine Forum

Truth In Advertising

Deano

About once a week I'll sift thru the "Missed Calls" on my phone (just in case someone I WANT to talk to has failed to leave a message).  Well, it  seems that this past Tuesday ig got a phone call that Caller ID identified as "Illegal Scam".  Sounds legit to me! :D;)

On 6/7/2018 at 2:17 PM, Deano said:

About once a week I'll sift thru the "Missed Calls" on my phone (just in case someone I WANT to talk to has failed to leave a message).  Well, it  seems that this past Tuesday ig got a phone call that Caller ID identified as "Illegal Scam".  Sounds legit to me! :D;)

You mean like this:

CallerID_fun.jpg.02080ff1eebd35f41e37ab9287b56601.jpg

I get them too, from time to time.:)

If you read up about caller ID, there is a logical explanation.  There are 2 parts to caller ID. First is the phone number, which originates from at the caller's site and can be easily spoofed (I also receive calls showing my own number as calling myself!). Then the "name" comes from your phone service provider (your phone company). They basically look up the number and if there is a match in their database, they send it to be displayed on your phone. Some repeat offenders' numbers are marked as spam or illegal in their database, so they display as such.

Here are the technical details about caller ID https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caller_ID , see the "Operaton" section for the details discussed here, and  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caller_ID_spoofing