Model Cars Magazine Forum

'77 Ford Mustang II

echoxrayniner

Man this was a weird one. AMT and MPC had a handful of competitive kits going on through the seventies and I so wish I had a MPC Mustang II to compare this one to cause it felt like such an oddball kit. Opening hatch? Cool and all, but why the smushed micro-interior? Why the oddly open front with no structural support for the airdam and such? Why the absolutely massive tires? Either way, kind of enjoyed it, for a kit from the mid seventies it actually builds up rather alright. Did run into two issues despite it being a still sealed kit from the seventies; one being the metal rods that the wheels would've been attached to had... vanished, or were never packaged so I improvised with four 1.3mm nails. Yeah, this Mustang's sitting on nail axles and **** me sideways it actually kind of works and two is that neither the hood nor the hatch fitted even a slight bit, guessing warping's to blame.

The paint's a mix of Skoda's Race Blue and BMW's Atlantis Blue Metallic, the decals I made myself.

77mustangii-6.jpg
77mustangii-17.jpg
77mustangii-7.jpg
77mustangii-10.jpg
77mustangii-15.jpg
77mustangii-19.jpg

6 hours ago, echoxrayniner said:

two is that neither the hood nor the hatch fitted even a slight bit, guessing warping's to blame.

I don't think they ever fit!   And you forgot to mention the molded in dent on the rear panel. You can't fix it because it's under the FORD lettering!  

When I met my wife she had a '74 Mustang II  V6 coupe.  It was a decent little car to drive.  I took it on a few long trips.

Would have been better suited if they used the 13" tires from the Corvair kit. (which were closer to what the cars came with) But I imagine they had the wheels tooled up to fit the already existing Goodyears so that they would have that wide, white letter tire look.

The Mustang looks great. It's good to see one of these built, and you rarely see one built stock.

Too bad about the oversize wheels. This has been a problem since the beginning of model cars. If the 1:1 has wheels smaller than 15", the kit will probably have wheels/tires that are too big, and the model just won't look right. It's still an issue today, though these days if the 1:1 has wheels smaller than 17", you are SOL. My current project is the newly tooled Fujimi Lotus Esprit, which should have 14" wheels, but the wheels in the kit measure over 16". They did such a nice job replicating the factory wheels, but way too big. There is no way to make a stock build if that kit look right.

21 hours ago, Bainford said:

My current project is the newly tooled Fujimi Lotus Esprit, which should have 14" wheels, but the wheels in the kit measure over 16". They did such a nice job replicating the factory wheels, but way too big. There is no way to make a stock build if that kit look right.

Just checking: do you know that the lip that retains the tire on the wheel adds (usually) 1.6 inches to the nominal wheel size? So a perfect scale 14" wheel will measure 15.6", close to the 16" that you quote.

Rob