Model Cars Magazine Forum

1956 Chevy Bel Air-Badman bash

bogger44

Mods, if you think this should be moved to the drag racing section, feel free to move it.

I built this more in the fashion of a local cruise-in/car show warrior than an all out correct gasser.  The Badman kit coughed up some of it's suspension parts and most everything on the motor except the block & heads (used the 56's engine).  Wheels and tires are Thunderbolt pieces.  Parts box goodies include the 9" rear end, front shocks, brake booster, radiator/electric fans, tach and gauge cluster.  I modified the hood scoop that came with the kit.  The drive shaft and front axle are aluminum tubing.  Paint is Model Master Citrus Yellow Metallic.  Was a bit disappointed the "Agitator" decals silvered some but not much one can do about that.  While it's known these kits aren't the greatest to begin with, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

2v2JmzKSjxAKN8F.jpg

2v2JmzWkFxAKN8F.jpg

2v2JmzBa5xAKN8F.jpg

2v2JmzpkNxAKN8F.jpg

2v2JmzYedxAKN8F.jpg

2v2JmzkzdxAKN8F.jpg

2v2JmzD4oxAKN8F.jpg

2v2JmzR2NxAKN8F.jpg

2v2JmzA9rxAKN8F.jpg

2v2JmzVr2xAKN8F.jpg

2v2JmzLz3xAKN8F.jpg

While most think of this kit as a clunker including myself. What you accomplished has really captured the "Look" that you described and all of the basic kits disproportioned body just disappears. I like the color combination, it almost looks like a color combo Chevrolet might of offered in '56.   

Man Tony, The Badman doesn't have a thing for this. Your's looks above and beyond The Badman. '56 is my fav tri-five and you Grand Slammed this one. Exceptionally well done. Two-thumbs up....I'd give it more if I had more thumbs LOL.B)

6 hours ago, Geno said:

Man Tony, The Badman doesn't have a thing for this. Your's looks above and beyond The Badman. '56 is my fav tri-five and you Grand Slammed this one. Exceptionally well done. Two-thumbs up....I'd give it more if I had more thumbs LOL.B)

Thanks a lot. The 56 is my favorite of the tri-fives as well.

Thanks for all the comments guys, you all are too kind.  It wasn't the easiest of builds, and I assure you it's not flawless.  I don't think I'll be trying another one anytime soon LOL!

You've done a stellar job on this model! Everything is crisp and well executed.

I was 13 years old (yep, cars and girls, not necessarily in that order) when the '56 Chebbies were introduced, went to my first "drag strip" in '58.  Your model, as excellent as it is, isn't what I saw in Gassers back then. I won't elaborate, unless you ask me to. 

Great work.

56 minutes ago, BigTallDad said:

Your model, as excellent as it is, isn't what I saw in Gassers back then.

It's not intended to portray a typical 1958 gasser. My take is that it's a modern interpretation of the mid/late '60s gasser look, which is not always 100% or accurate or NHRA-legal for the real 1960s. But I have seen a LOT of these cars in magazines like Car Culture Deluxe and books like that, and he has the current "vibe" of these things down just about perfect. 

Many thanks again guys.  Yes going into this build I knew it wouldn't be correct for a period gasser of the day, but more of a modern interpretation like you see out in the 1:1 world these days.

15 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

You really made a "silk purse out of a sows ear", so to speak.

One thing, those giant front wheelwells cry out for some zoomie headers sticking out. Everything else is spot on!

Great job!

You are so right and I had wanted some fenderwell headers for it, but didn't have any.  Didn't feel like trying my hand at making any either lol.