Model Cars Magazine Forum

1956 Chevy Bel Air-Badman bash

bogger44

I agree with the consensus regarding the toy-like proportions of the Monogram 1956 Chevy , and how you've managed to detract from those abhorrent proportions by modifying the heck out of that kit ! 

Let me be another one who says , Best looking Monogram '56 Chevy I've ever seen

23 hours ago, Snake45 said:

It's not intended to portray a typical 1958 gasser. My take is that it's a modern interpretation of the mid/late '60s gasser look, which is not always 100% or accurate or NHRA-legal for the real 1960s. But I have seen a LOT of these cars in magazines like Car Culture Deluxe and books like that, and he has the current "vibe" of these things down just about perfect. 

Sorry, I've never seen a gasser with a full interior. Anything that was not essential (including a horn) was removed for weight savings. The work on the interior is awesome, but not accurate.

Hey Tony your happy with the turn out, I have built this kit years ago and was not good but that said.  This build you have done is over the top awesome, has to be the best Monogram 56 Chevy I have seen done, makes me want to build one just like yours.

16 hours ago, BigTallDad said:

Sorry, I've never seen a gasser with a full interior. Anything that was not essential (including a horn) was removed for weight savings. The work on the interior is awesome, but not accurate.

NHRA gasser rules always mandated two seats and a "finished" (not gutted) interior. They were, at least theoretically, streetable cars, which is why they had to have headlights and so forth. 

But as we've established, this build is a modern "gasser-inspired" car, not necessarily a 100% historically accurate competition machine. 

2 hours ago, Bob Ellis said:

I always thought the Monogram 1956 Chevy was a very decent kit.

I quite agree. Yes there are some proportion issues, like many kits of the day, but EVERYTHING FITS. Sometimes that's worth more than scale accuracy.

Terrific build. I like everything about it.