Model Cars Magazine Forum

Autoquiz 378 - Finished

This time it was easy or not. I think it wasn't that easy tahn you though. The only visible between the 4 cylinder and the six cylinder car are the batch on the bonnet. But surprisingly nearly all choose the right car.

This is a 1965 - 1969 Porsche 912 and not a 911. 

Auto quiz 378.jpg

Edited by carsntrucks4you

On ‎11‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 5:40 AM, carsntrucks4you said:

This time it was easy or not. I think it wasn't that easy tahn you though. The only visible between the 4 cylinder and the six cylinder car are the batch on the bonnet. But surprisingly nearly all choose the right car.

This is a 1965 - 1969 Porsche 912 and not a 911

Actually, the car in the photo is a pre-'68.

23 minutes ago, Bainford said:

Actually, the car in the photo is a pre-'68.

I believe you'll find it's pre-'69, unless you're seeing something I'm not.

It was for the 1969 model year that the wheelbase was lengthened by approx. 88mm (about 3.5 inches) to help alleviate tail-wagging handling issues.

The fact that this is an earlier car can be seen by the proximity of the torsion-bar access hole to the rear wheel arch. Later cars are the same length overall, but the wheel arch is moved rearward, leaving more space between the round hole and the front of the arch.

57 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I believe you'll find it's pre-'69, unless you're seeing something I'm not.

It was for the 1969 model year that the wheelbase was lengthened by approx. 88mm (about 3.5 inches) to help alleviate tail-wagging handling issues.

I'm seeing the lack of side marker lights.

Also, I believe the wheelbase change was something in the order of 57 or 59 mm (though I do not recall exactly)

1 hour ago, Bainford said:

I'm seeing the lack of side marker lights.

Also, I believe the wheelbase change was something in the order of 57 or 59 mm (though I do not recall exactly)

You're correct...the wheelbase was lengthened about  58mm or 2.3". My previous number was wrong. :D

For whatever odd reason, I had the bore of the engine in my Spyder in my head.   :huh:

I may be also wrong on this, but I believe US cars for '68 had a one-year-only pair of side reflectors. In '69, the existing turn signal housings were modified to incorporate side-markers that complied with US DOT regs, and the separate reflectors were dropped...at least that's the way I remember it...so you got me on that detail too. I can't recall ever actually seeing a 911/912 with the reflectors.  

I'm supposed to know better than to post without fact-checking, even when I think I'm sure of something. My bad. 

Edited by Ace-Garageguy