Model Cars Magazine Forum

Frustrating wing mirrors LN8000

• 4 weeks later...

The first thing you need to do is scrape the chrome from every point of contact so the glue will adhere properly. From there just glue two pieces together and prop them up to keep them square. After they dry, glue on the next piece and so on.

another option is to bend a complete mirror bracket out of a paper clip (or any chrome wire of that diameter) then just glue the mirror head to it.

• 2 months later...

I like Ben's second suggestion but I would go a step further.  Drill some holes in the door where the mirror bracket would go and insert the bracket into the holes and secure it with a TINY amount of superglue.  Paper clips are good for the brackets since they are already chromed.  You could also use brass stiff brass wire and then coat it with "chrome" using a Molotow chrome pen.  Glue the mirror to the bracket top and bottom.

On most trucks the mirror brackets are not plated , I dip mine in Castrol SuperClean to remove the plating and then assemble them one piece at a time and paint them as a unit. If I want the chrome I will use a chrome spray . The nice part is you can get rid of all the mould lines and you end up with a good looking piece in the end with minimal effort!