Model Cars Magazine Forum

24 Hours of Le Mans Build

Jhedir6

I'm doing another build for the Le Mans 24hr this year. Anyone else who might be interested can post up pics in this thread. 

I'll be building Tamiya's Toyota Tom's Supra GT in the Marlboro livery. Decals are from Hobby Design and paint will be from Gravity Colors.

20180612_152531-vi.jpg

See you all Saturday.

Dont have any race cars in the stash that could be built in 24 hours. So decided on a pysdo Racecar - Gran Turismo's RX 7 LM (lets just pretend that LM stands for Le Mans....)

rx7_lm_edition_by_submaniac93-d9i0vop.jpg.40a6553b0002fb6240a8b49970c6a6bd.jpg

Anyone remember this car from GT2? I have such fond memories of drifting this thing round Rome Night! Look at how bad the graphics used to be!!! 

images.jpg.0c3d490bb5cfb3fa335f37bf6e6fe109.jpgdownload.jpg.29bfcce5ab168b278128ccbc7d2bcc1d.jpg

There were 2 versions you could collect as a prize car, red or green, I think I may go with the Green for something different. GT5 saw an update of this car which just looks like their SuperGT (JGTC) car... Much better graphics!

mazda_rx_7_lm_race_car_by_lubeify200-d7d4q15.jpg.8faf49a3be7f14fb19c0ac1da8529efe.jpg

I've had to take a few liberties as the car & bodykit don't exist in plastic or resin, so Aoshimas Mazdaspeeds RX7 GTC will have to suffice. I want to add some fender flares for that racecar look so might do that Friday & Saturday if that's ok. All painting & assembly will take place during the 24hours, I'll also do the sponsors as vinyl graphics (stickers) as I am a signwriter its easy & quick to do it this way. Wheels are from a Tamiya Porsche GT2.

IMG_0226.thumb.JPG.f9b157c8f13c0b34ef5a48b6b5f23c6d.JPG

IMG_0227.thumb.JPG.d81053448146fb846026a6dfbc01b633.JPG

IMG_0228.thumb.JPG.a91cef1f2f8c895f4b21f940bb64acca.JPG

Fingers crossed I can complete this kit in the 24hours! & also keep the Wife from killing me....

Ash

I saw this thread go by and was like - "Oh right the summer 24hr Build"...then tonight it occurred to me that it's this weekend. As it happens my wife and kids are heading to Lake Erie tomorrow for a trip they planned months ago when I was still working every weekend. My career has changed course and I have weekends off like a normal person again. So no wife, no kids...GAME ON!

Build whatever Ash, doesnt have to be a LM, tho I would of liked to have done one too, but nothing in the stash that would be doable in 24hrs. I like the JGTC looking version of the RX-7.

Great James, we'll be happy to have you join us. I still havent finished mine from last year, I had huge fitment issues in the last couple hours, figured it was better to box it than bin it.

See you guys tomorrow morning.

There are a couple of "bootleg" streams up today - since the only way to legally see it in North America is Velocity on TV and Motor Trend Online to stream. 

I've got a fairly reliable boot and synced it with the Radio Le Mans commentary  (since they're just watching the same video feed) and it's pretty enjoyable.

Hour 1 and 2 update for me ...no pics

got off to a slow start due to crappy streams, took awhile to get one stabilized and watchable

Everything is off the trees and cleaned up and in primer. Paint will start soon. 

I'll get some pics up after I get the paint going.

Keep us updated on your progress with pics when you can.

Enjoy the race.

Cool thing to do a build in 24 hours while watching the race. I have myself done several atempts at it but this year I have found a older project that is close to beign finished and doing some work to that. I started the project back in 2012 and the last time I did anything to it was summer of 2013.

Revell 1964 Chevy C10 modified to a 4x4 K10 with resin wheels

IMG_5632.jpg

Watching the race on Eurosport and listening to RadioLeMans.com for commentary as usual (I hate the Norwegian commentators on Eurosport and the RLM folks are much better at knowing whats going on).
So with 21 hours and 26 mintutes left, lets have fun:)

Nice progress Ash.

I've got just about everything painted in their base colours. Just need to let it dry then I can mask. Pics soon. I can start on the chassis shortly so I'll post up a pic then. It's a white care with a white chassis so there is literally nothing to see yet.

Update soon.

So I'm way behind on updates, I had planned on doing them every hour but with the ACO killing streams on youtube I've had to spend a lot of time looking for a stream to watch.

For now,  this is where I'm at.

20180616_152452-vi.jpg

Body is painted. I now need to mask it and paint the Florescent Red.

Chassis and suspension parts are painted and I can start assembly and detail painting shortly.

Tires are sanded out but I had to strip and paint the wheels so they're a bit behind, just be reprimed now.

I have a bunch of small parts not pictured that are ready to be hand painted and assembled.

More in an hour or so, I hope.

Looking forward to seeing some updates guys.

Car is painted. I've got a bit of overspray in some spots cause I didnt get the tape down perfectly. I'm not sure how to handle it at this stage, I may just leave it and "weather" the car to hide the few spots.

The colour in the pic doesnt do the brightness of the Florescent Red justice, its VERY  dayglow in person.

20180616_180038-vi.jpg

20180616_180053-vi.jpg

More to come. Time for a dinner break.

Go Ash Go!

I've got the decals done on the driver side, the front and the roof. I have the passenger side and rear left as well as the wheels. Still plugging away. Going to be close to getting finished before the race finishes I think, but I'm going to try.

20180616_223312-vi.jpg

More in another hour or so I hope. Keep at it guys.

Edited by Jhedir6

Nice Ash.

I'll have an update soon. 

Chassis is almost done, just  some detail painting and final assembly.

Body is decaled and cleared, just waiting for it to cure up so I can detail paint and assemble there....it's gonna be close.

20180617_071630-vi.jpg

20180617_071646-vi.jpg

Edited by Jhedir6

Looking great!!!

well I finally did it! Finished with 1.22hrs to go!!

will livery it up tomorrow once the paint has cured, should’ve flared the rears, & might still... stance is a tad high. But overall I’m pretty happy with my 24hr efforts, definitely not my best work but happy. It’s been a pleasure again David!

880185EF-258D-44E0-80BF-CD3DF267C6A6.jpeg