Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dick Landys 68 Charger

I bought a Revell '68 Charger yesterday just to use a 50% Michael's coupon. Thinking of doing it in dark blue as a "Then and Now" build to match with the MPC I built in 1968. 

No one has any comments about my suggestion that the side sculpting is overdone on the Revell body? I guess I'm the only one who sees it that way, then. 

On 6/13/2018 at 3:45 PM, Snake45 said:

I always thought Revell overdid the "flares" around the fake reverse-scoops on the doors on this body. To my eye, the old MPC body is more accurate in this area. Am I right or wrong? 

It doesn't look like it would be easy to work these down to a more accurate appearance, either. :wacko:

I've read, that the recently released '70 is better in that area.

3 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I bought a Revell '68 Charger yesterday just to use a 50% Michael's coupon. Thinking of doing it in dark blue as a "Then and Now" build to match with the MPC I built in 1968. 

No one has any comments about my suggestion that the side sculpting is overdone on the Revell body? I guess I'm the only one who sees it that way, then. 

2 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

I've read, that the recently released '70 is better in that area.

Your both right.

The scoops are much too exaggerated compared to the 1/1

And yes the 70 is MUCH better,but still not 100%

3 hours ago, Snake45 said:

excellent choice. Actual color is called EE1 dark blue poly

The one I did. and the actual car it replicates

Lrear.jpg.8b2c20b4dc4ce32cca76a23f82a5ab14.jpgleft-front.jpg.0d39f3c42dcc3cb832f34c2025882caf.jpg

right-front.jpg

Just now, gtx6970 said:

excellent choice. Actual color is called EE1 dark blue poly

The one I did. and the actual car it replicates

Lrear.jpg.8b2c20b4dc4ce32cca76a23f82a5ab14.jpgleft-front.jpg.0d39f3c42dcc3cb832f34c2025882caf.jpg

right-front.jpg

Very cool! I'll either be airbrushing Testor Arctic Blue, or use a can of a dark blue "pearl" enamel from them I got awhile back. While I've rattlecanned a good deal of the new Testor lacquer, and airbrushed gallons of their enamels cut with lacquer thinner, I literally can't remember the last time I rattlecanned  any of their enamels. 

BTW, here's the unrestored survivor MPC Charger I built in 1968. Would like to build this one along the same lines, but, you know, better. B)

68Charger02.jpg.ce178b4a8ac26358f4470d4e9bba9cd4.jpg

68Charger05.jpg.5196c9c2975bcf8c8de7c33acf565985.jpg

68Charger10.jpg.6fbad027fa3b3ea59eb03b00d87714ca.jpg

6 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I seen some mpc promo 68 rebuilders I looked into getting but I drained my kit fund for now which was a shame

51 minutes ago, PlymouthFan said:

I seen some mpc promo 68 rebuilders I looked into getting but I drained my kit fund for now which was a shame

I wouldn't bother with a promo fixer.,,,unless it was super cheap

Decent re-builder MPC kits are not real hateful. ,,,not dirt cheap mind you . But not terrible. They will usually sell for about double retail on the revell version. Just keep an eye out on eBay

I've passed over a few for under $35  as I already have a couple back piled I bought years ago

4 hours ago, gtx6970 said:

IMO . this one has a better / more accurate body than the Revell does. Now if it just had the right grille inserts

Does this newest version have the non 500 rear window in it now ?

s-l1600.jpg

A non general lee charger issue that’s surprising 

• 2 weeks later...