[[Template core/front/global/utilitiesMenu does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
PlymouthFan

Dick Landys 68 Charger

Recommended Posts

I bought a Revell '68 Charger yesterday just to use a 50% Michael's coupon. Thinking of doing it in dark blue as a "Then and Now" build to match with the MPC I built in 1968. 

No one has any comments about my suggestion that the side sculpting is overdone on the Revell body? I guess I'm the only one who sees it that way, then. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/13/2018 at 3:45 PM, Snake45 said:

I always thought Revell overdid the "flares" around the fake reverse-scoops on the doors on this body. To my eye, the old MPC body is more accurate in this area. Am I right or wrong? 

It doesn't look like it would be easy to work these down to a more accurate appearance, either. :wacko:

I've read, that the recently released '70 is better in that area.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I bought a Revell '68 Charger yesterday just to use a 50% Michael's coupon. Thinking of doing it in dark blue as a "Then and Now" build to match with the MPC I built in 1968. 

No one has any comments about my suggestion that the side sculpting is overdone on the Revell body? I guess I'm the only one who sees it that way, then. 

 

2 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

I've read, that the recently released '70 is better in that area.

 

Your both right.

The scoops are much too exaggerated compared to the 1/1

And yes the 70 is MUCH better,but still not 100%

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I bought a Revell '68 Charger yesterday just to use a 50% Michael's coupon. Thinking of doing it in dark blue as a "Then and Now" build to match with the MPC I built in 1968. 

No one has any comments about my suggestion that the side sculpting is overdone on the Revell body? I guess I'm the only one who sees it that way, then. 

excellent choice. Actual color is called EE1 dark blue poly

The one I did. and the actual car it replicates

Lrear.jpg.8b2c20b4dc4ce32cca76a23f82a5ab14.jpgleft-front.jpg.0d39f3c42dcc3cb832f34c2025882caf.jpg

right-front.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, gtx6970 said:

excellent choice. Actual color is called EE1 dark blue poly

The one I did. and the actual car it replicates

Lrear.jpg.8b2c20b4dc4ce32cca76a23f82a5ab14.jpgleft-front.jpg.0d39f3c42dcc3cb832f34c2025882caf.jpg

right-front.jpg

Very cool! I'll either be airbrushing Testor Arctic Blue, or use a can of a dark blue "pearl" enamel from them I got awhile back. While I've rattlecanned a good deal of the new Testor lacquer, and airbrushed gallons of their enamels cut with lacquer thinner, I literally can't remember the last time I rattlecanned  any of their enamels. 

BTW, here's the unrestored survivor MPC Charger I built in 1968. Would like to build this one along the same lines, but, you know, better. B)

68Charger02.jpg.ce178b4a8ac26358f4470d4e9bba9cd4.jpg

68Charger05.jpg.5196c9c2975bcf8c8de7c33acf565985.jpg

68Charger10.jpg.6fbad027fa3b3ea59eb03b00d87714ca.jpg

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I bought a Revell '68 Charger yesterday just to use a 50% Michael's coupon. Thinking of doing it in dark blue as a "Then and Now" build to match with the MPC I built in 1968. 

No one has any comments about my suggestion that the side sculpting is overdone on the Revell body? I guess I'm the only one who sees it that way, then. 

I seen some mpc promo 68 rebuilders I looked into getting but I drained my kit fund for now which was a shame

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, PlymouthFan said:

I seen some mpc promo 68 rebuilders I looked into getting but I drained my kit fund for now which was a shame

I wouldn't bother with a promo fixer.,,,unless it was super cheap

Decent re-builder MPC kits are not real hateful. ,,,not dirt cheap mind you . But not terrible. They will usually sell for about double retail on the revell version. Just keep an eye out on eBay

 

I've passed over a few for under $35  as I already have a couple back piled I bought years ago

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Before Revell brought out their 68 and 70 Chargers, I invested in some resin repops of the MPC Chargers to build. Both are still un done, and I also have Revell's kits to do too. I built the MPC annuals back in the day, and was very happy with them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMO . this one has a better / more accurate body than the Revell does. Now if it just had the right grille inserts

 

Does this newest version have the non 500 rear window in it now ?

s-l1600.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gtx6970 said:

IMO . this one has a better / more accurate body than the Revell does. Now if it just had the right grille inserts

 

Does this newest version have the non 500 rear window in it now ?

s-l1600.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

not the best of Charger kits but it DOES have the correct tunnel rear window..

Edited by towtruck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My original MPC.

went a slight different path besides stock DSC01660.JPG.cf688f407aa4473cce664455befa4cce.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, gtx6970 said:

IMO . this one has a better / more accurate body than the Revell does. Now if it just had the right grille inserts

 

Does this newest version have the non 500 rear window in it now ?

s-l1600.jpg

A non general lee charger issue that’s surprising 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

yeah, one of the coolest things about the 68 mopars to me were the chrome side markers. thats why my 68 charger remains unbuilt. i don't like the decals.

Edited by c. jackson
typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now