Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fiat Fuel Competition Coupe - Completed with Final Presentation Photos

2 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

I am kind of thinking what Ray said. If you could sand/polish it, just through the decals, it would be an awesome effect. Change the name to "Cacklin' Rose", and you're off to the races, so to speak. It would be a dadgum shame to have to start over, given what a beauty she is!

I agree. At least give a go and see if you can make work as a paint effect.  Nothing to lose and beats having to repaint it.

Edited by bobthehobbyguy

Thanks for the comments guys!

In the final week leading up to the December 31st TRaK Autorama deadline several entrants had major disasters which meant they had to drop out. I was among them, and for most of us late dropouts our setbacks were paint related. Misery may love company, but it was cold comfort. Fortunately there were enough of us that the judges decided to extend the deadline to January 19th.

Thanks to the extension I've got a chance to include this project in the Competition category. By the time the extension was announced I had already stripped the paint. I decided the safest approach was to sand the paint down to a smooth, consistent and stable layer. This was basically the original silver metalflake layer. Then I sealed the surface with Duplicolor Primer Sealer and wet sanded that layer with 1000 grit. The result was a smooth, neutral colored (light gray) surface to start over from. This time I went for a minimum number of layers. The heavy flake of the original silver underlayer had been largely obscured by the subsequent color layers so I decided to start with a simple metallic gold base. I had some Testors Pure Gold left over from my recent customized '57 T-Bird build so I used that. I also had a little of the Tamiya Clear Orange so I shot one layer of that over the gold. The result was very close to the original gold shade the first time around. This was followed by 3 coats of Tamiya Clear Red after masking the stripe trim into place. I made one change from the first time around. The 8-ball over gold circular motif on the rear "spare tire" is now gone. After doing it I decided it was a bit busy, and then I realized I hadn't made provision for the drag chute. So this time around the rear deck is plain red with the drag chute to be placed in the center of the "spare tire" and the gold Krazy Koop lettering above and below it. Other than that most things should remain the same, although I'll have to use other contingency decals. One thing for sure, however, there's only about half the layers of paint compared to the first attempt. Hopefully this will avoid the prior problem. Out of the proverbial "abundance of caution" I'll be clearing with Tamiya Clear since the prior color coats are Tamiya. And hopefully I can get this done to the new deadline, now!

Thanx for lookin',
B.

DSCF6989-web.jpg
DSCF6988-web.jpg

Edited by Bernard Kron

Thanks everyone! And yes, My thinking is that I had too many layers of too many different types of paint and, as Goatguy said, they dried at different rates.

Well, I made it out the other side without mishaps. Phew! You'll notice that the decals scheme is very simplified. I was never quite happy with the 8-ball motif, the color and shape conflicted with the rest of the car. As fate would have it, I made enough mistakes applying decals along the way that I couldn't have replicated it even if I wanted to, despite the fact that I started out with three sets. Meanwhile, I've been so focused on the darn paint job that I've almost forgotten about the mechanical bits. I've got to make sure that the final assembly process stays clean and precise... With a little over a week to go I think I have a fair chance of making it.

Thanx for lookin',
B.

Paint-and-Decals-2-Summary-800-web.jpg

Edited by Bernard Kron

Thanks Dan!

Done! And with 5 days to spare! If the paint hadn’t blown up on me I do believe I would have gotten in under the wire on the original deadline. Thanks for the reprieve! Here are some detail pics of the final things to have been done. The motor was largely completed earlier b it still needed some detailing and of course fitting to the chassis. When I repainted the body I was able to pay a little closer attention to the interior surfaces and they are now painted gold to match the stripes. The interior furnishings are largely from the donor Ramchargers FED kit with the exception the steering wheel which is a Revell Tony Nancy Double Dragster Item. The front suspension is 100% Tony Nancy Double Dragster. The wheels are the new TruWire  aftermarket items from Curt Raitz’s miniscurtraitzing.com with tires from the Tony Nancy kit. The front wing is an aftermarket resin piece from Competition Resins. The wind-up key push-bar is from the Carl Casper Undertaker dragster kit.

Thanks for all the comments and encouragement. Formal presentation pictures will follow tomorrow!
B.

DSCF7007-web.jpg

DSCF7008-web.jpg

DSCF7009-web.jpg

DSCF7011-web.jpg

DSCF7012-web.jpg

Thnak you, all. Glad you're likin' it!

8 hours ago, nitro norman said:

... Do you have a link for the guy who sells the wire wheels.

MCM member Curt Raitz sells them on FleaBay under user name crt8z. Here's a link to his products page: https://www.ebay.com/sch/crtr8z/m.html?item=323637764099&hash=item4b5a506003%3Ag%3AjIMAAOSwZltcGS8k%3Ark%3A1%3Apf%3A1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

Edited by Bernard Kron

22 hours ago, nitro norman said:

Great looking model . Love the paint. Do you have a link for the guy who sells the wire wheels.

Norman, if you prefer...I sell the wheels direct.

I have 4 sizes, 1/25th scale: .710", .740" and .790" diameters and 1.10" diameter for 1/16th scale.

If you are interested, message me.

Nice recovery from that crackle-finished disaster from a while back. Impressive never-say-die comeback. She looks GREAT, and those wire wheels really set her off. :D

And thanks for reminding me of Curt's terrific wheels. I contacted him, but I never put the order in. Finally, I'll be able to finish up a couple of mine that have been hanging fire.