Model Cars Magazine Forum

Never saw THAT before

I record several of the TV car shows including the Mecum Auctions and Barrett Jackson Auctions shows. I was just watching one of the Mecum shows and saw something I've never seen before. The bid was $10,500 on a 1926 Ford Rat Rod. Everything seemed to be rolling right along and then the auctioneer was heard asking questions and NOT going on with the auction. The camera and mike feed went out on the floor to one of the helpers (whatever they're called) and you heard a woman's voice say, "I have the bidder's number and I say NO." Then the auctioneer and the helper go back and forth kind of teasing the guy by asking him who wears the pants in the family. He actually pointed to her.

And then, sure enough, she made them back the bid up. She withdrew her husband's bid and made the auctioneer fall back to $10,000. The reserve had gone off at $10,500 and when it rolled back to $10,000 the reserve went back on. They couldn't get another bid so had to roll the car through as unsold.

Can you imagine just how totally humiliated that dude had to be? She literally emasculated him in front of hundreds of people on site and then millions of people in TV Land. There just had to either be a divorce and/or an arrest for battery. That guy SURELY can't just forget that and go merrily along in his marriage.

I saw that.

But you might have to consider that possibly "she" is the one with the money in the family.

My wife has been the main bread winner in our relationship for the bulk of our marriage.

Therefore, I feel that she should have more say in how that money is spent

We share everything equally, & she is content with that, but I show her a lot of deference in the finances department, as I believe that I should.

Steve

No, it didn't just air. I recorded it a few days ago. It was a Denver auction that aired last Friday or Saturday. I guess it could have been a ploy for the show, but I didn't get that feeling when it happened. Anything is possible of course.

Yeah, Steve, my wife and I have always been pretty much equal bread winners. There were times when my business was doing really well and other times when things were slow that tipped the scales one way or the other. We never question each other on small purchases of $500 or maybe $1000. We would have already discussed how much money we were going to be willing to spend at an auction like that. Even if I had overstepped my bounds by $500 or $1000 my wife would never have done what that gal did. She might give me a sharp elbow and say very sternly something like, "That's it! No more!" That would be the extent of it though.

And I definitely agree that there were a couple of comments made by staff that were totally out of line. It wasn't professional at all.

While I didn't happen to see the event you are discussing, I have seen instances on Mecum where the bidding was stopped or rolled back. I think some times the communications between the auctioneer and the floor person who is helping the bidder sometimes just goes wrong. I have no way of knowing just what happened here, but it is possible that happened. I do have think that the auctioneer has his mouth going at such a rate that they miss what the floor person is trying to tell them. As far as being insulting to the bidder, that is always a bad idea. Old motor mouth says something that he thinks is funny but at the embarrassment of the bidders. I have seen one or two of the auctioneers that are far more prone to this behavior than the others.    

This was definitely not a case of miscommunication between auction personnel. You would have to see the whole thing to fully understand, but there was definitely a bid made by the husband of this couple, then the wife stepped in and refused to honor the bid. Apparently she was the actual registered bidder and hubby made a bid she didn't approve of. The helper, or floor person, took a bid from the husband in obvious good faith, then the wife spoke up and refused to honor his bid. I don't think the floor person had any idea he was taking a bid from a guy who technically couldn't make a legitimate bid. The way I viewed it I didn't see any mistake made by auction personnel up to the point they started asking who wore the pants in the family.

The power dynamics vary in relationships, obviously, but I haven't needed to ask my mommy's permission to buy something since I was about 12.

With women, I've always found that keeping my money, her money, and our money separate goes a long way towards maintaining peace; even if the girl doesn't like the idea, it's good to establish rules early on.

18 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I saw that.

But you might have to consider that possibly "she" is the one with the money in the family.

My wife has been the main bread winner in our relationship for the bulk of our marriage.

Therefore, I feel that she should have more say in how that money is spent

We share everything equally, & she is content with that, but I show her a lot of deference in the finances department, as I believe that I should.

Steve

Same here

My wife makes CONSIDERABLY more then I do , or ever have.

But I typically buy what I want , when I want it. Its extremely rare I catch grief for anything I buy,,,, toys or otherwise

Case in point , bought an AR15 about 6 - 8 weeks ago without so much as a whisper

Bought momma a glock 380  that evening as well. But mine was quite a bit more $$$ than  hers was. She asked how much then in next breath said sure. God I love my wife

Savings account took a hit that day for sure . But its recovered ok

And btw, I wear the pants in this household.Wife just tells me which ones .... lol

Edited by gtx6970

24 minutes ago, gtx6970 said:

Same here

My wife makes CONSIDERABLY more then I do , or ever have.

But I typically buy what I want , when I want it. Its extremely rare I catch grief for anything I buy,,,, toys or otherwise

Case in point , bought an AR15 about 6 - 8 weeks ago without so much as a whisper

Bought momma a glock 380  that evening as well. But mine was quite a bit more $$$ than  hers was. She asked how much then in next breath said sure. God I love my wife

Savings account took a hit that day for sure . But its recovered ok

And btw, I wear the pants in this household.Wife just tells me which ones .... lol

Mine is the same dynamic for the most part.

We have never really had any issues with each others purchases, but we respect each other enough to discuss anything that could be classified as being in the "expensive" category.

Certainly a car would be in that category! ;)

43 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I've always found that keeping my money, her money, and our money separate goes a long way towards maintaining peace; even if the girl doesn't like the idea, it's good to establish rules early on.

There's nothing wrong with using that sort of arrangement if it works for you Bill, but speaking from a personal observation of a couple that we considered very good friends of ours who used that arrangement, I remember that it created much more contention in their relationship than we ever had in ours.

Every couple & every circumstance is different, but I consider my wife & my relationship to be one of the best of anybody that I know.

31 years and hardly ever a cross word between us & still as happy as the day that we met.

We do each have our own small "stashes" that we will utilize for our modest wants, but in general we share absolutely everything no matter how large or small.

"For richer or for poorer, in sickness & in health". :)

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

1 hour ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

...31 years and hardly ever a cross word between us & still as happy as the day that we met..."For richer or for poorer, in sickness & in health". :)

I envy you that, seriously.

After I lost the girl that I believe I would have had that kind of lasting relationship with, I made some pretty poor choices in partners later (and I'm sure they all felt the same about me).

On another note, I've encountered a great many women who seem to have the need to be the boss of the relationship (among friends and acquaintances as well as personally), and many men who seem to be quite content being whipped. As I've never had the desire to control someone else, I certainly won't accept someone telling me what to do.

When dealing with people whose greed and desire for control override other kinder, gentler emotions, it's best to take a very businesslike approach to finances. And it's been my experience that people only get mad about money if they want what they're not fairly entitled to..."what's mine is mine, and what's yours is mine".  ;)

2 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

The power dynamics vary in relationships, obviously, but I haven't needed to ask my mommy's permission to buy something since I was about 12.

With women, I've always found that keeping my money, her money, and our money separate goes a long way towards maintaining peace; even if the girl doesn't like the idea, it's good to establish rules early on.

it can work.

My younger brother and his wife have had this exact same relationship since they got married ( got be close to 30 years now )  To the best of my knowledge,,, They have no qualms about money. I know they both are pretty frugal when it comes to buying anything. So that may be a factor.

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

On another note, I've encountered a great many women who seem to have the need to be the boss of the relationship (among friends and acquaintances as well as personally), and many men who seem to be quite content being whipped.

I know exactly what you are talking about Bill.

As a matter of fact, my wife's sister & her husband have exactly that sort of relationship!

Of course, she would never admit it, but it's quite obvious to anyone who would observe them & be honest about their assessment.

Needless to say, their marriage is currently on the skids.

When I look at my wife's and my relationship, although our personalities are in many ways complete opposites, we have both grown to realize over these many years that neither one of us are going to change & we have learned to accept each other fully.

Maybe it has just become laziness as we grow older, but I can not imagine a more wonderful & peaceful life than we currently have.

I can go to bed every night & wake up every morning feeling completely confident that we will be there for each other until the day that I die.

To me there is no more peaceful feeling than that.

No matter what the future will hold for us, life is good! ^_^

Ok, now that the slobbering love story is over with, we may return to our regularly scheduled program! :D

Steve

53 minutes ago, gtx6970 said:

I know they both are pretty frugal when it comes to buying anything. So that may be a factor.

That could very well be the secret to their success.

I'm sure that we could all agree that if 2 people have the same views about money matters, it would be less likely that there would be friction between them on that subject.

Steve

On 6/14/2018 at 11:49 AM, smhardesty said:

Can you imagine just how totally humiliated that dude had to be? She literally emasculated him in front of hundreds of people on site and then millions of people in TV Land. There just had to either be a divorce and/or an arrest for battery. That guy SURELY can't just forget that and go merrily along in his marriage.

Seems to me that they agreed not to bid over $10,000 beforehand, and the husband went over it anyway.

Maybe he shouldn't have made that bid he couldn't make and the staff shouldn't have thrown oil to the fire, then nothing would have happened.