Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lions Drag Strip Photo Backdrop

Its been a long time since I posted anything new. Just can't seem to get into much of anything. No ambition, so I thought I'd try something a bit out of the ordinary. A long time ago, I found a ceramic tile at the big orange box center that looked like a well worn drag strip surface. About a week ago, it occurred to me I could drill some holes along the side and make a chain link fence with banners on it similar to the photos I've seen at Lions of yesteryear. Yesterday, I put the finishing touches on the fence and added the self-drawn Lions banner and company/manufacturer logos. I'm working on the grandstand crowd and still have a bit of work to do on that. Here's a few pictures of my progress.

Here's a picture of the surface of the tile. Its 24" long x 12" wide.

2v2JTF1p9xAhY3V.jpg

Here's the fence with the logos and banner.

2v2JTF1ezxAhY3V.jpg

2v2JTF1HuxAhY3V.jpg

Here's a close up of the top of the fence posts. I used a strip of aluminum printing plate and a small straight pin for the top. I also wrapped the top of the post with another thin strip of printing plate. I tried metal screen but once I cut it, it completely fell apart. I went with the softer screen made from some type of nylon, I guess. Once cut to size, I shot it with silver paint.

2v2JTF1ZoxAhY3V.jpg

As mentioned above, I'm still working out the details on the grandstand crowd that's spray glued to a thick poster board. I had to do some PhotoShop manipulation on the photo because it showed aisles at an angle which wouldn't work in this situation. I just took the aisles out altogether. I'm thinking I may need to add another crowd print-out to the top of this one. That's part of the details I'm still working on as well as how to make the poster board free-standing. I may still add some wooden light poles between the fence and the grandstand.

2v2JTF1Q2xAhY3V.jpg

More to follow. Stay tuned and comments welcome.

Edited by gasser59

CcBrad.... this is so cool and looking awesome. Glad to see you getting to the bench and working on something. Even if it is not a build. Sorry to hear about having a builders block but I totally understand not having motivation, I am currently there with my army funny car. Have touched it since The DSC and I need to get it done. Anyway I hope you find the motivation to get back to a build but in the mean time keep having fun with this diorama base. You are knocking it out of the park.

Here's a test shot with everything quickly set up on my work space with desk lamp lighting and with my phone. I really need to take this outside for some better shots but its just too darn hot.

2v2JVfH7LxAhY3V.jpg

Edited by gasser59

1 hour ago, gasser59 said:

Here's a test shot with everything quickly set up on my work space with desk lamp lighting and with my phone. I really need to take this outside for some better shots but its just too darn hot.

2v2JVfH7LxAhY3V.jpg

That is simply to cool for words. (  pun intended btw )

My wife is in Tucson this  week and shes says its quite hot.  ( low 100s )

Has Phoenix hit the teens yet temps wise