Model Cars Magazine Forum

NEW Round2 MPC 2018

Mr mopar

from Steven hobbies

MPC PLASTIC MODEL KITS MPC-900 1/25 Tom Mongoose McEwen 1968 Front Engine Dragster Tirend Activity Booster $31.95 TBA
MPC PLASTIC MODEL KITS MPC-902 1/25 Coca Cola 1932 Ford Sedan Delivery Truck $31.95 TBA
MPC PLASTIC MODEL KITS MPC-904 1/25 1957 Chevy Spirit of 57 Flip Nose Gasser $31.95 TBA

1 hour ago, Mr mopar said:

from Steven hobbies

MPC PLASTIC MODEL KITS MPC-900 1/25 Tom Mongoose McEwen 1968 Front Engine Dragster Tirend Activity Booster $31.95 TBA
MPC PLASTIC MODEL KITS MPC-902 1/25 Coca Cola 1932 Ford Sedan Delivery Truck $31.95 TBA
MPC PLASTIC MODEL KITS MPC-904 1/25 1957 Chevy Spirit of 57 Flip Nose Gasser $31.95 TBA

Nice to see the "Spirit of '57" Gasser reappear.  This chassis lends itself to many kitbashing projects.  Wonder if the front axle remains in the dropped format used for most of the original kit reissues, or the straight axle of the original release?  

As for the McEwen dragster, I'd bet on the Ramchargers kit as the base rather than the Garlits/Young American, as the former was released in 1968 vs the latter in 1970.  Still, based on the picture posted above, looks like the Garlits/Young American is closer in content to the actual car.   TIM 

1 hour ago, tim boyd said:

As for the McEwen dragster, I'd bet on the Ramchargers kit as the base rather than the Garlits/Young American, as the former was released in 1968 vs the latter in 1970.  Still, based on the picture posted above, looks like the Garlits/Young American is closer in content to the actual car.   TIM 

The Ramchargers kit is based on the early to mid 60's car and not the latter, longer wheelbase, car that the Young American and Garlits are. I always noticed how the long wheel base Ramchargers car image is used on the instrcutions and the kit is the early chute pack car. 

Image result for ramchargers dragster

Image result for ramchargers dragster

2 hours ago, tim boyd said:

Nice to see the "Spirit of '57" Gasser reappear.  This chassis lends itself to many kitbashing projects.  Wonder if the front axle remains in the dropped format used for most of the original kit reissues, or the straight axle of the original release?  

Love the flip nose 57 also. This one has the rear wheel wells from the AMT 57 grafted in...

IMG_9166rt-vi (1).jpg

1 minute ago, espo said:

The '57 Flip Nose, is that the same as the MPC/Ertl kit ? I have a sealed model #6321 and have been reluctant to build it since these things are supposed to be worth so much money now.  

Same thing I'd assume...there was a Model King issue of it about 10 years ago...

6 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

Same thing I'd assume...there was a Model King issue of it about 10 years ago...

Thanks. That was what I was thinking. I bought mine more than 25 years ago and just never got around to it. That's why I asked.

4 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

Hmmm...MPC '32 Ford Sedan Delivery truck... I assume that is the old 'Keep on Truckin' kit with different decals?  That could be interesting.. 

I'm again very dubious of this effort . What logo folks ? Coca Cola changed it's colors in the early 1960's from Yellow and Red to Red and White . You can take this MPC 1932 Chevrolet sedan delivery as proof . I actually talked to Coca Cola bottling representatives here locally when I did this one ........

1932ChevroletSeddelanModelTracer004_zps0dc36ea4.jpg

Just now, Eshaver said:

I'm again very dubious of this effort . What logo folks ? Coca Cola changed it's colors in the early 1960's from Yellow and Red to Red and White . You can take this MPC 1932 Chevrolet sedan delivery as proof . I actually talked to Coca Cola bottling representatives here locally when I did this one ........

It's probably just the current Coca Cola logo on new decals on an old hot rod kit.  Round 2 will put Coca Cola decals with anything, guaranteed sales..surprised they didn't offer the bulldozer w/ Coke decals...  I have no interest in the Coke decals, but the MPC '32 Ford Sedan Delivery sounds interesting, never had that kit...

As for the McEwen kit.....the Garlits kit is a much more accurate kit with the wheelbase although neither kit has the correct 392. Betcha that if Round 2 "corrects" it, the engine will be the same with different valve covers and the magneto moved.

19 hours ago, espo said:

The '57 Flip Nose, is that the same as the MPC/Ertl kit ? I have a sealed model #6321 and have been reluctant to build it since these things are supposed to be worth so much money now.  

Build it, and enjoy it as it's only a model car kit. I did..........................................

image.png.b76cfea9bf49fac60d471765689da7f6.png

21 hours ago, espo said:

Throw it on ebay before word gets around about the rerelease. Unless you want to build it then do it up.  

On 6/15/2018 at 12:47 PM, Dave Darby said:

Love the flip nose 57 also. This one has the rear wheel wells from the AMT 57 grafted in...

IMG_9166rt-vi (1).jpg

Sweet! It's absolutely amazing how your stock rear wheel openings minimize the wrong shape of the bottom edge of the spear. Or did you fix that, too? 

You're making me want to dig mine out and build it. 

3 hours ago, High octane said:

Build it, and enjoy it as it's only a model car kit. I did..........................................

image.png.b76cfea9bf49fac60d471765689da7f6.png

Beautiful looking build. Any problems, did the front end lineup ok ?

No problems that I can recall, and yes the front end did line up okay. You do have to be careful when opening or closing the tilt front end though. I raised the entire body a full 3 scale inches all around on this one. Build yours as that's all that kit is good for.

23 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Sweet! It's absolutely amazing how your stock rear wheel openings minimize the wrong shape of the bottom edge of the spear. Or did you fix that, too? 

You're making me want to dig mine out and build it. 

Didn't touch the spear. I originally built it almost 30 years ago as a pro street. 10 years ago I swapped out the suspension and engine, cut off the front bumper and made it a gasser. Still with same paint.

At a swap meet today I bought an MPC Keep on Truckin' 32 Delivery Van kit which I think is from sometime in 1970's. Good to see the upcoming re-release will be properly identified as a Sedan Delivery. The body in this old kit is molded in white while everything else is black. The proportions of the body look pretty good to me but the shape of the top of the rear door is not correct as it should have rounded edges according to photos I have seen. I cut out the fender liner to try the body with the Revell 32 Ford frame, fenders, hood and grill. It will need some work where the body meets the gas tank but it is definitely doable.