Model Cars Magazine Forum

Coyote...have you built it?!.....lets see it!!!

Dann Tier

I started converting it to a McLaren M6 GT. Just substituting reasonably correct wheels and tires for the dorkotronic parts in the kit goes a long way towards correcting the goofy look. The rest of the plan is to substitute an M8 chassis, but the body lines and proportions need considerable work.

DSCN9914.thumb.JPG.3fb04d380072c3d0a03636568acdbfab.JPGDSCN9917.thumb.JPG.4e6cb5923b4c073222a5ea39f09ebfbd.JPGDSCN9918.thumb.JPG.6f83757b0edb2044b1b3c2ccebdd38fa.JPG

Related image

Monsignor Dann,

I'd love to see you build it

As Monsignor Bill mentions, it won;t take much to reduce its goofy profile.

Changing the stance and ride height etc... would go a long way in getting it very cool looking.  I also think a reworking of the head lights would also make it cooler as they are a bit large.

The Hardcastle & McCormick Coyote TV car was a Manta kit car. The Manta body was based on the McLaren M6GT body design, but had a number of differences. Including the headlights. Most of the cars used for the  show had VW chassis and engine. The Manta kit was available with a steel tube chassis for a small block V8 also. The MPC model kit uses the Ford GT MkIV chassis. Putting the Coyote body on an Accurate Miniatures McLaren Mk8 chassis is a great idea. Although the M8 has a wider tub than an M6 and the sides of the tub are flat with small radius bends at the bottom, while the M6 tub has rounded sides with a full radius from the top edge of the tub down to the bottom. The M6GT should probably have a small block Chevy engine instead of a big block too.

I really find the M6GT to be a gorgeous car. The bodywork is far more like a McLaren M12, which was a customer car which was an M6 chassis with updated M8-like bodywork. Some M12s were surprisingly close to the  works M8b in racing, although the works M8Bs absolutely DOMINATED Can Am racing.

I wanted to see  an  M8 GT (that McLaren never created) back in those days. The death of Bruce McLaren in 1970 probably was what brought an end to such programs.

On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 9:25 AM, JollySipper said:

I tried to build one once, didn't turn out so great.......... Have you got one to build, Dann? It is a Really tough kit.............

Sorry to hear that....yes I do have one to build...

On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 5:25 PM, aurfalien said:

Monsignor Dann,

I'd love to see you build it

As Monsignor Bill mentions, it won;t take much to reduce its goofy profile.

Changing the stance and ride height etc... would go a long way in getting it very cool looking.  I also think a reworking of the head lights would also make it cooler as they are a bit large.

Thanks, bud!, I will build it some day....lol

42 minutes ago, JollySipper said:

Once you strip the chrome off of ALL the suspension (every piece is plated) it might not be so bad to assemble.....

Ya, that is ALOT of horrible chrome!!…..99% of the time, I always strip kit chrome