[[Template core/front/global/utilitiesMenu does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
Sign in to follow this  
Warren D

1919 Mack AC Wrecker

Posted (edited)

On display at Macungie, this is the first tandem AC I've seen.

167661130.jpg

167661135.jpg

Edited by Warren D

Very unusual. The rear set of duals looks like the extra"tag" axle seen on some modern cement trucks to compensate for heavy loads. Was that axle a driven axle that was connected to the drive line of a. Accessory axle for heavy jobs?

No, the rear most axle was just for the weight, like a tag axle but not able to raise it.  The front tandem was driven, chain drive of course.  Hoist weight center appears to be in the middle of the two tandem axles. I was equally amazed by the size of the hook to the right!

Do you think that this was an option from Mack, or was it something that was fabricated by the owner after receiving the truck from Mack?  Either way, it's pretty cool.

Yes, that's a big hook on the right! 

It doesn't say anything on the sign that would answer that, but IIRC, Mack just made the cab/chassis and the body was added later.  As far as I know, that's still the case....

A garage in NJ took delivery in Sept 1920 so it might have been in a shop having the body made for a while.  I stopped back often, had wanted to talk with the owner but never saw him.

That would make a beautiful model, Warren!  The wrecker portion would actually be quite easy.  Lots of simple pieces that could be fabricated in brass and then painted.