Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mercedes 300SL - Tamiya

Mixalz

Finally wrapped up this project. Started off going for perfection but ran into multiple bumps along the way. 

I couldn't redo the engine plumbing as the CA glue was too tight and I didn't want to break/repaint. I also stuffed the badges from Hobby Design and have now realised I should have coated these in chrome for a better finish and glued these using clear acrylic. 

The biggest drama actually came straight after polishing. So I had clear coated the car and then left it in the food dehydrator over night. Polished the clear coat and then decided that moving this model along with some others would be best (I was moving houses and so moving a few models each trip over). That's where the problem occurred. I had wrapped the body in a towel to protect it and found out when I  unwrapped it that the towel had left indentations of its texture in the clear! I had to repolish the body... I couldnt repaint as the badges were on there too... So I repolished as best I could without burning through the clear. So under careful scrutiny you can still discern scratches and the towels marks.

All in all, it was a top quality model. Left the base of it as the clear panel to show off the space frame.

Edited by Mixalz

• 3 weeks later...